Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Thank you guys, like I said it was small f&b and no Police was involved and it was done through Insurance, it was my fault, so my insurance took care of fixing the other party's car (don't know how much though). and my insurance sent me paperwork (form SR-1) to file with the DMV which I didn't do yet.

No need to worry or declare it since no citation was involved.

Cafeconleche,
it was a typo, and I could change it, but I won't just for the fun of it, and I'm glad that it made you laugh,we need to be laughing while we are going through this long and tough immigration road :D

Cafeconleche,
it was a typo, and I could change it, but I won't just for the fun of it, and I'm glad that it made you laugh,we need to be laughing while we are going through this long and tough immigration road :D

Amen, soul brother/sister (soul person?) :)

Cafeconleche,

Your immigration road is short and sweet man... enjoy!

GhantaBro,
Believe me, only this part of the journey is short (so far ), I know you will say this is the most important part of it all, and I agree as everybody else will, BUT it has been along road getting here. and I hope that it comes to a happy end sooon

speeding ticket dates

Hi - I am finishing up my N-400 and would like to know your advice on dates for 1 ticket I have had and cannot find records of. I have had 3 tickets in my life and I have exact dates for 2 that showed up on my DMV record. However, a third I know for sure I got is not showing up on my record and the biggest county here said they have just moved buildings and would take an extended period of time to find it by hand if it's there at all. My insurance company also only have the 2 tickets I already know about on their records. I would like to send in my application with the 2 exact dates and the third listed but with an amendment that states I cannot find the date for it and give an approximate date for the year only.

Will this be sufficient in your opinion? Anyone else submit without exact dates for tickets. I also have 1 internship I cannot be 100% of the dates on. Everything else on my N-400 I have been able to track down exactly.

Many thanks.

If the tickets are for a Non-DUI or a Drug related offence and is <$500.00 you do not need to mention. If you do, you'd need to produce a receipt that the payment was made at your interview.

I did in my case and the IO asked for the receipt that she added to my file. I presume that if I did not have one, my approval would be held in abeyance till her supervisor approved the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
We did not report traffic ticket either. I called USCIS customer service and rep said if it not DUI related and if the fine is less than $500, you do not need to mention it.

tickets

This issue has come up many times and the newer forms are asking for dates of ANY time you have been detained or cited - a speeding ticket is both being detained and being cited - failure to mention it would be failure to declare these and they will show when a check is done by USCIS. The N-400 instructions document states:

"Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver's license."

It does not state you may omit the incidents, it only states you do not need to submit documentation as evidence.

With that in mind it seems clear they must be declared on the form - perhaps there is some flexibility here, but I tend to go with caution and declare everything.

With that in mind - in declaring them should I be concerned that I cannot find the exact date. I can get the receipts before interview, as I already have one coming in the mail.

Thanks again for you help and if you disagree with any of the above please let me know your thoughts and experience.

Thanks.

When I filed my N-400 I saw my Speeding Ticket that was $114 as a citation. Since you never know what USCIS or your IO have up their sleeve I mentioned it in the citation section and when I had my Interview I was ask about that Ticket. Since I sent my proof of payment with the N-400 I didn't need to show it to her so that was it.

This subject is a highly digussed subject here on this board and everyone has their own opinion on it so this is mine, lol.

When I filed my N-400 I saw my Speeding Ticket that was $114 as a citation. Since you never know what USCIS or your IO have up their sleeve I mentioned it in the citation section and when I had my Interview I was ask about that Ticket. Since I sent my proof of payment with the N-400 I didn't need to show it to her so that was it.

This subject is a highly digussed subject here on this board and everyone has their own opinion on it so this is mine, lol.

What is the ticket is real old and you don't have any proof of payment?

This issue has come up many times and the newer forms are asking for dates of ANY time you have been detained or cited - a speeding ticket is both being detained and being cited - failure to mention it would be failure to declare these and they will show when a check is done by USCIS. The N-400 instructions document states:

"Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver's license."

It does not state you may omit the incidents, it only states you do not need to submit documentation as evidence.

With that in mind it seems clear they must be declared on the form - perhaps there is some flexibility here, but I tend to go with caution and declare everything.

With that in mind - in declaring them should I be concerned that I cannot find the exact date. I can get the receipts before interview, as I already have one coming in the mail.

Thanks again for you help and if you disagree with any of the above please let me know your thoughts and experience.

Thanks.

I think we can all agree that the instructions are very unclear. Before I state my opinion on the matter, being stopped by a police officer for a traffic violation is NOT being detained. Being detained means being placed in a police vehicle or being held at a police station, getting released later with no charges filed.

On to traffic violations. There has been a multitude of cases where an applicant disclosed minor traffic violations and the IO demanded proof of payment/court disposition, refusing to approve an application until such proof was provided. After a recent debate on traffic tickets, I called the USCIS customer service and asked them if traffic violations have to be disclosed. The service rep did a search on his computer and told me the traffic tickets do not need to be disclosed, unless the violation is a DUI/DWI/reckless driving and/or the fine is over $500. I didn't list traffic violations on my N-400, nor am I planning on disclosing them at the interview, as each of them is a minor offense with fines less than $100.

If you insist on disclosing all your traffic violations, be prepared to provide proof of payment at the interview. Since you're having difficulty tracking down one of the violations, you should obtain a written statement from the DMV that they can't find a record of it.