Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

I already detailed 2 traffic citations on N-400 form that I submitted to SC. Both citiations are very minor traffic citations. Both citiations are neither DUI/DWI nor $500 fine tickets. I was able to obtain my DMV/MVA driving record (showing the driving status: cleared and total points) and court traffic record (showing each citation that has been paid in the amount of dollars). I am willing to show both records to the June 12 interview only if I am asked by IO officer.

xo2008, if you received the interview notice, when is your next interview? If not, you have lots of time to obtain driving record/proof of payments from the district court. Did you try to go to the district court?

what's the best way to give copy of my 84/55mph $115 speeding ticket to the IO?

When I submitted my N-400 application, I checked "no" under that question.

but I just realized that I did have one speeding ticket (84mph in 55mph), almost 10 years ago. (9 years an 8 months ago,
to be exact) it was a long time ago, and my *only* ticket ever.

Just went down to the court today. After paying the $1.25 fee, the traffic case court clerk gave me a certified copy of the
original ticket/receipt. It does show that the fine was paid in full when I went down there in person. The fine was $115
total, paid with cash. again... this was almost 10 years ago.

when I go to my interview, what's the best way to give this to the IO? I don't want to make it look like that I was trying
to hide it... which I was not... I simply didn't remember it due to the length of time when this happened. Should I just
say that I have forgotten it?

I also went to my local motor vehicle office and got a copy of driving record. My record is clean and it shows that I have
the maximum possible number of good driving points, since I've had no other ticket at all during all these years. ( my state
addes good driving points to the record for each year that you don't have any tickets)

advice apperciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just forget this... , you really don't have to remember 10 years old traffic ticket unless it is really DUI or criminal offenses. If this is criminal chrages , there will know from old record anyway so no point of hiding that.

Hi Danny1968 -

I agree with everyone else that since this happened 10 years ago and is under the $500 threshold, there is no reason to panic. You were right in marking 'No' on the application. However, I would recommend that you take the certified copy and DMV record you got to the interview in case you get asked. However, no need to bring it up unless you are specifically asked.

Good luck.

Hi Danny1968 -

I agree with everyone else that since this happened 10 years ago and is under the $500 threshold, there is no reason to panic. You were right in marking 'No' on the application. However, I would recommend that you take the certified copy and DMV record you got to the interview in case you get asked. However, no need to bring it up unless you are specifically asked.

Good luck.

so... to sum it up, you guys are saying that I should definitely bring the
documents, but maintain a "don't ask, don't tell" policy? :)

so... to sum it up, you guys are saying that I should definitely bring the
documents, but maintain a "don't ask, don't tell" policy? :)

Well if the IO asks you at the time of the interview "Have you EVER been cited or given a ticket?" - this gives you the opportunity to engage the IO. However, in my experience, that question never came up. So, why would I need to bring it up?

Trust me, if it was serious offense, it will come up during their investigation and the IO will surely bring it up.

While I really don't think this is a big deal one way or the other, I would point out that you are supposed to DECLARE every citation or arrest, irrespective of the dollar value of the fine. What is not required however, is to provide documentary evidence where a traffic fine is under $500 so long as the citation did not involve alcohol, drugs or actual arrest. The exact text from the USCIS N-400 Instructions document reads:
Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver's license.

So, the correct approach is simply to wait until the IO gets to the appropriate page on your N-400, and then give an updated answer to the relevant question. You obviously already have the proof of paying the fine if asked for supporting docs.

Well, some people checked the box "yes" and detailed them on N-400 form. but they didn't have to submit the copies of traffic tickets since they were neither $500 fine tickets nor DUI/DWI according to the instructions.

Some people checked the box "no" even though they had citiation tickets (minor traffic tickets - less than $500 fine ticket or non-dui/dwi ticket.).

I know the citation question on N-400 form is very confusing to applicants. If Interviewer asks you, then you should provide the proof or supporting docs(just be honest, remember you are under the oath).

Can I attach official DMV records to my N-400 application?

I had a few traffic tickets and don't remember the details and have no documents related to them now.

My license was also suspended for a month once a few years ago as I got 11 points on my license for speeding twice within an 18 month period. 11 or more points means an automatic suspension and during the one month I was driving on a restricted license to and from work. I got back my regular license after a month.

This was almost 3 yrs back and everything is clear now and I have no points on my license. I have ordered my DMV records from my state DMV.

According to the DMV they don't seem to furnish traffic ticket details in the records but do mention about the suspension and any serious violations.

Can I attach the DMV records to the N-400 application and will I face any issues because of the one month license suspension?

Thanks

As long as your traffic tickets didn't involve an arrest and you were fined less than $500 you should be fine. You can either attach the DMV records to your application or bring them to the interview.

Thanks. I have never seen my DMV records so pardon my ignorance. Do the DMV records show the amount of the fine also or just show the date and details of incident? I don't remember exactly if my suspension caused my more than 500$ but I know it was close to it.

Also do you know if DMV records also show all traffic tickets I ever got and whether they have been paid and cleared? Since my traffic tickets apart from my suspension have been in different cities, that would mean I have to remember and chase down my tickets in multiple city courts which would be very hard as I don't remember the details.

Thanks. I have never seen my DMV records so pardon my ignorance. Do the DMV records show the amount of the fine also or just show the date and details of incident? I don't remember exactly if my suspension caused my more than 500$ but I know it was close to it.

Also do you know if DMV records also show all traffic tickets I ever got and whether they have been paid and cleared? Since my traffic tickets apart from my suspension have been in different cities, that would mean I have to remember and chase down my tickets in multiple city courts which would be very hard as I don't remember the details.

It depends on state DMV as each state has different ways of reporting records. Contact your state DMV to find out.

I mailed the original copy of my traffic violation and took copies with me. When this was brought up during the interview, it was minor...but the officer was happy to see that I was eager to give information. If you were arrested for your license revocation then this is a different matter. If you were not arrested, then you have nothing to worry about.

no no no

any kind of traffic violations dont attach with n 400 please
copy of gc , passports in and out entry, dl copy , photos ok
with interview bank stat, address prove job prove , tax return max 5 yrs , marror div cert, proof of no new vilotions less than 500 ok .:cool:

i don't think it would hurt matters if you attach a copy of your DMV record, and bring the original with you to the interview.

There was no arrest when the license was suspended. Its automatic suspension for 30 days if you get 11 or more points. There was a suspension removal fee when I got back my license after 30 days but no fine for suspension.

I don't see any mention of attaching proof of in and out entry in the M-476 guide. Do I need to copy the in and out stamped pages and attach with my application?

Also which of these should I check Yes to for good moral character since I just have traffic ticket violations and license suspended for 30 days

15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested? My answer 'No'
16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason? 'Yes'
17. Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense? 'No'
20. Have you ever received a suspended sentence, been placed on probation or been paroled? 'No'

Most of these questions overlap so I'm not certain which option should I check Yes and which should I check No.

Thanks

ok

ok very important for you
i recived my oath letter and pass all n 400 process,
now page 6 general question 1 ........ 7 mark NO.
QUESTION 8 ........THRU 32 NO
QUESTION 33 FEMALE NO MALE LESS THAN 25 YES OTHERWISE NO,
QUEST 34................39 ALL YES
IF YOU DO THIS CLEAR YOUR N 400 WITHOUT OBJECTION .
GOOD LUCK

Traffic tickets

Hi,
I got 3 speeding tickets and one "Roll overstop sign violation" ticket.
I paid fine for three tickets.Fines were less than $500.And, went to court for the fourth ticket, pleaded guilty and was asked not to pay any fine.
I got all the four tickets in the past 3 years.
For the below question
Have you ever been arrested,cited or detained by any law enforcement officer, do I have to check "YES" and provide ticket details or just check "NO".
This question really confuses ....
Thanks in advance,

Hi,
I got 3 speeding tickets and one "Roll overstop sign violation" ticket.
I paid fine for three tickets.Fines were less than $500.And, went to court for the fourth ticket, pleaded guilty and was asked not to pay any fine.
I got all the four tickets in the past 3 years.
For the below question
Have you ever been arrested,cited or detained by any law enforcement officer, do I have to check "YES" and provide ticket details or just check "NO".
This question really confuses ....
Thanks in advance,

To be on the safe side amswer yes and send in copies of the tickets with your application.