Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

eternity

Registered Users (C)
This is a very old and long thread but as of today 18-Aug-2018 from the USCIS Website for N400 Instructions ( Link: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400instr.pdf ) on Page 14 of 18

It says this:

NOTE: You must submit documentation of traffic incidents if:
(1) The incident involved alcohol or drugs;
(2) The incident led to an arrest; or
(3) The incident seriously injured another person.

You do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines or incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record.
And Just to make sure this is not an old document that is hanging around I checked the expiry date on that document:

USCIS
Form N-400
OMB No. 1615-0052
Expires 03/31/2019

Last edited:
Folks, I've got a question as I get ready to submit my application for US citizenship. I did get a ticket for speeding back in November of 2016. Then another camera ticket around 2009. But it didn't affect my Green Card which I got in January of 2011. So my question is should I mention about these citations on the N-400 form? I don't want my case to be denied because I didn't mention this information. But not sure whether it'll be prudent to mention them since they happened long time ago and the records are kept only for five years. What will you advice?

eternity

Registered Users (C)
Folks, I've got a question as I get ready to submit my application for US citizenship. I did get a ticket for speeding back in November of 2016. Then another camera ticket around 2009. But it didn't affect my Green Card which I got in January of 2011. So my question is should I mention about these citations on the N-400 form? I don't want my case to be denied because I didn't mention this information. But not sure whether it'll be prudent to mention them since they happened long time ago and the records are kept only for five years. What will you advice?
See my previous post. And I personally did not mention them and I just got my Citizenship. If the officer asked I why i didn't disclose the tickets I would have pointed them to that instruction. However I did submit a Driver Extract record during application (Which is really not necessary - they know everything about you ! )

Link : https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400instr.pdf

Bottomline is they are looking for serious offenses.

What do you think if I answerer NO. Then explain it in a separate paper telling it was a speeding ticket only and it was paid and the court decision was inattentive driving / non moving violation. Any suggestions?