Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

This is a very old and long thread but as of today 18-Aug-2018 from the USCIS Website for N400 Instructions ( Link: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400instr.pdf ) on Page 14 of 18

It says this:

NOTE: You must submit documentation of traffic incidents if:
(1) The incident involved alcohol or drugs;
(2) The incident led to an arrest; or
(3) The incident seriously injured another person.

You do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines or incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record.

And Just to make sure this is not an old document that is hanging around I checked the expiry date on that document:

USCIS
Form N-400
OMB No. 1615-0052
Expires 03/31/2019

Last edited:
Folks, I've got a question as I get ready to submit my application for US citizenship. I did get a ticket for speeding back in November of 2016. Then another camera ticket around 2009. But it didn't affect my Green Card which I got in January of 2011. So my question is should I mention about these citations on the N-400 form? I don't want my case to be denied because I didn't mention this information. But not sure whether it'll be prudent to mention them since they happened long time ago and the records are kept only for five years. What will you advice?

Folks, I've got a question as I get ready to submit my application for US citizenship. I did get a ticket for speeding back in November of 2016. Then another camera ticket around 2009. But it didn't affect my Green Card which I got in January of 2011. So my question is should I mention about these citations on the N-400 form? I don't want my case to be denied because I didn't mention this information. But not sure whether it'll be prudent to mention them since they happened long time ago and the records are kept only for five years. What will you advice?

See my previous post. And I personally did not mention them and I just got my Citizenship. If the officer asked I why i didn't disclose the tickets I would have pointed them to that instruction. However I did submit a Driver Extract record during application (Which is really not necessary - they know everything about you ! )

Link : https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400instr.pdf

Bottomline is they are looking for serious offenses.

What do you think if I answerer NO. Then explain it in a separate paper telling it was a speeding ticket only and it was paid and the court decision was inattentive driving / non moving violation. Any suggestions?

ok my im really stressed out and worried i just got my oath ceremony appointment but im freaking out because it ask if i have been arrested after interview and i was for dui i have court on july 8th got a lawyer hoping it can be dropped to wreck less driving or just dismissed but im scared my blood came back to 0.16 will they denie me for being arrested but not yet convicted ??

Hi ALL,

I am panic about what happened to me.

On N-400 form one question is
"Have you ever been arrested,cited or detained by any law enforcement officer?"

I answered "NO" because I did not know that "CITED" means "Driving Ticket" too. Actually I supposed to answer "Yes".

I got that Traffic ticket/ driving ticket 3 years ago before filing my N-400 application.

I passed my Citizenship interview 5 months ago & waiting for oath ceremony letter.

At interview when the officer went all over the N-400 application , he did not ask me about traffic ticket.

Traffic ticket was "Improper left turn & I lost 2 points"
After getting my US citizenship (after oath), IF BCIS FIND OUT LATER THAT I LIED(it was not intentional, I did not know) on N-400, then WILL they REVOKE my CITIZENSHIP.

WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW???????????????????

WONDERING WHAT HAPPENED I GOT ARRESTED FOR DUI AFTER INTERVIEW THEN GOT MY OATH CEREMONY APPOINTMENT IT ASK ON THE FORM IF I BEEN ARRESTED AFTER INTERVIEW SCARED WHAT SHOULD I ANSWER?

WONDERING WHAT HAPPENED I GOT ARRESTED FOR DUI AFTER INTERVIEW THEN GOT MY OATH CEREMONY APPOINTMENT IT ASK ON THE FORM IF I BEEN ARRESTED AFTER INTERVIEW SCARED WHAT SHOULD I ANSWER?

Truthfully answer the question, that’s what you need to do.

And please don’t post in all CAPS - posting in CAPS in an online forum is like shouting in person l b

Hi,
I requested DMV driving record and it shows an event that I had an accident back in the year 2004. It has CRASH and possible INJURY mentioned for that event. This was 15 years ago. I hit some one else car from behind as I could not stop in time. Later I went to the court and paid the fine which is less than $500. I do not have any document now that I can show as proof.
Now I am eligible and filing n400.
When I asked county clerk office they said they do not find any record. Online crash records site say they do not have records more than 10 years old. Not sure which department can still hold that old records.
Any suggestions. Thanks in advance

I am in a similar situation. I got a ticket for speeding back in 2006. My DL does list the Citation ID / PJC. I went to court and requested Prayer for Judgement. So no fine or driving points or insurance points. This is the only ticket I had. The county clerk or the court clerk do not have any records.
Other incident an accident from 2004. Felt the brakes did not function and stopped the car by hitting a tree prior to entering a main street out of caution. I called police for a report / insurance, Listed in my DL as an accident. But not other reference.

Do we need to report yes for Q.23 and what documentation we need to attach to the application.

I had applied for naturalization with N400 2 years ago. After that I got a DUI, and have been able to close the DUI case with reduction to Negligent driving. I don't have any probation. This happened last week and my naturalization interview is in 2 weeks. I understand that during interview I will have to fill N-445, where I should check the box for "Have you been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including traffic violations?".

Apart from that, what preparation do I need for my interview to explain my case? What documents should I collect? Also, do I need to update N-400 before, and is there a way to do that?

Hey there,
My oath ceremony is scheduled on November 19th and I got a uniform traffic ticket for NO STOPPING/STANDING/PARKING ON THE HIGHWAY. The matter is scheduled to be handled on November 24th so I'm not if I should answer "yes" to question 4 of the questionnaire and just bring the citation to the ceremony? Any advice or recommendations?

DWI

Speaking of DWI - what is the effect of that on a citizenship application? The record is otherwise spotless, this was an unfortunate exception which did not result in any damage or casualty, and was punished by 6 month probation and 3 month license suspension.
The effect of citizenship application catalyzes the drawn out economic incorporation of immigrants. In spite of the pertinence of citizenship strategy to immigrant mix, they come up short on dependable comprehension of the economic outcomes of gaining citizenship.

Actually i got received parking ticket, i have parked car improperly and have to pay fine. Can i pay my parking ticket online through the website or in person. In how many i need to pay my fine, is there any penality for late payment.

Hi All,
I have below two questions on Traffic ticket. It would be appreciated if anyone can provide information.

1> I recently got a speeding ticket based on Traffic Camera. The fine was $150 what I paid. Do I need to mention this in N400 application?
2> 2 Years back, I got a parking ticket for $115 what I paid. Do I need to mention this in N400 application?