Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Hi,
Thanks!!
I don't have one ticket detail as I got it in a different State while vsiting my friend. However, I paid the fine for it. Is it ok , if I just mention that I paid the fine for it .

Hi,
Thanks!!
I don't have one ticket detail as I got it in a different State while vsiting my friend. However, I paid the fine for it. Is it ok , if I just mention that I paid the fine for it .

Just to be safe. i would contact the county clerk where you got the ticket. It is better to be safe than have a delay. You have time to get this priot to your interview.

ok very important for you
i recived my oath letter and pass all n 400 process,
now page 6 general question 1 ........ 7 mark NO.
QUESTION 8 ........THRU 32 NO
QUESTION 33 FEMALE NO MALE LESS THAN 25 YES OTHERWISE NO,
QUEST 34................39 ALL YES
IF YOU DO THIS CLEAR YOUR N 400 WITHOUT OBJECTION .
GOOD LUCK

ah tintoon is back again and seems like someone else typed this.

please think very carefully before answerig that question. I know the correct thing is to say "yes" to that question but here is the thing. the moment you say yes you better have every record. for example if you went to court then you need a Certified Court Desposition.

Its kinda crazy that all the three questions "Have you ever been arrested,cited or detained by any law" are all so very different but bundled together. Other then being cited for a traffic violation the other two questions are very serious in nature. So the moment you say yes its up to you to provide all the record.

I will give you my example, I had two tickets and for both i had to go to court. One was missing insurence info and other one was again something minor. I clearly mentioned in my app that it was minor traffice violation but the very first question she asked me on that question was " oh so you were arrested!!!" It took me few minutes to explain to her that i was never arrested and that I marked the question as "yes" for traffice cititation.

of course at the end of it all she gives me a 'Continunce" letter which basically means i have passed the interview but still have to provide some documentation including any criminal records even though i just told her i have no record!!!

I would recommend just answer that question no.

in all their forms it clearly states that minor traffic fines dont have to be supported by documentation so just dont report it.

my 2 cents

-kris

Thanks a bunch for the replies.
Yes, it is better to answer "No" for this question and go for the interview with all receipts /letters.
Thanks,Again!!

As I myself having quite a few traffic/parking tickets here is the advice: Call USCIS and ask this question with emphasis on "non-DUI, less than $500", do it several times for more fun (as you probably get different answers)
This way you can say during interview that both N-400 guide and USCIS 1-800 advised you against checking Yes.
Still, get proof that you paid all those tickets and bring them to interview, but "do not volunteer any information - only answer what you asked"
Good luck.

N-400 - Traffic Violation by Sponsered

I sponsered my sister and brother in law (BIL) on B2 Visa. On a trip, he got traffic ticket for speeding. Ticket was for around $500 and Driver Responsibility Assessment (DRA) was $1050. He was driving on his International Driver's Permit while I was sitting in the passenger seat. While issuing the ticket, officer also asked for my Driver License, and mentioned if my BIL doesn't pay the ticket I will be responsible.

I have already paid the ticket in full, and opted to pay DRA in 3 yearly installments (already paid one installment). Both Ticket and DRA statement were issued in my BIL's name but were sent on my address in NJ.

1. Do I need to mention this in my N-400 or attach anything?
2. Do you think I should pay the remaining DRA amount in full before filing my N-400 ?

If it was not in your name, then no need to worry.

Besides that traffic tickets under $500 are not required to be mentioned in N-400. If you get asked about it in the interview you may just need to explain that it was just your address but not you - it was your BIL that got the ticket.

No you did not sponsor their B2 visas. B2 visas are self-sponsored. You sent fianancial documents which helped them overcome 214(b).

I sponsered my sister and brother in law (BIL) on B2Visa.

Did you name appear on the citation? If not, then you were not cited. The N-400 wants to know all iterations when you were cited.

1. Do I need to mention this in my N-400 or attach anything?
2. Do you think I should pay the remaining DRA amount in full before filing my N-400 ?

Your story, albeit unfortunate, is a prime example of why one should not invite additional headaches for themselves. By incorrectly believing that B-2 visas cannot be issued to their friends/relatives until a US resident "sponsors" their visas, individuals put themselves in a state where they worry for nothing.
You don't have to answer this, if you do not want to, but since your brother-in-law was driving, why are you paying for the citation and DRA?

Last edited by a moderator:
$500 speeding ticket with $1050 for defensive driving school??? Was your BIL drag racing or is he used to the German autobahn?

Something about this story doesn't quite add up. According to the New York State DMV, driver responsibility assessments are levied against traffic offenses involving alcohol, drugs, refusal of a chemical test, or for someone accruing 6 or more points on their license over an 18 month period. Which of those did your BIL violate?

Why are you paying your BIL's fines? Seems to me that he should have stepped up and taken care of business before leaving town.

So long as none of this is in your name, its not relevant for your N-400. If however your name did appear on the citation, you have potential trouble due to the fine being over the $500 USCIS breakpoint.

Those violations make sense. However the OP has stated that his BIL got a ticket for speeding. Thus the raising of the eyebrows.

Sometimes it is true, not only for drag racing but also some other traffic violations like HOV violations, accident at-fault involving casulties, etc.

First try to get the BIL to pay for whatever is left to pay, plus whatever you have already paid.

Then if he won't pay, find out if there is any legal basis for the government to go after you. If there is'nt, stop paying and tell them to shove it.

, find out if there is any legal basis for the government to go after you. If there is'nt, stop paying and tell them to shove it.
The officer already told the owner that he'd be responsible if the BIL didn't pay so this confirm the ticket was issued in a state where the car owner is ultimately held responsible for any speeding tickets while in the possession of an authorized driver. Several states have this kind of law in place when they cannot collect the fine from the driver.

The officer already told the owner that he'd be responsible if the BIL didn't pay so this confirm the ticket was issued in a state where the car owner is ultimately held responsible for any speeding tickets while in the possession of an authorized driver.
"The officer told" doesn't mean it's completely true. That's why I said to find out the real law first before paying the rest of it. There cannot be a blanket authorization to go after passengers if the driver won't pay; certain conditions under state law have to be met. For starters, we don't even know whether it was the OP's car or a rental car.

I don't see what the officer has to gain by not telling the law like it is; that's part of his job. Sure it's always advisable to double check the law, but if an officer stops you and tells you what it is, you could pretty much bet it's true, unless you're paranoid and think everyone is out to get you.