Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

In the rare instances that the IO asks you for proof of payment of your traffic ticket just be honest and tell them that you did pay them but no longer have the receipt and tried unsuccessfully to obtain one. The fact that you are under oath during the interview should be sufficient enough to demonstrate that you are answering truthfully.

Yup. About the worst think that can happen is they RFE you for proof, and you have to spend yet more time dealing with DMV/MVA.

I have gotten 13 traffic tickets over 10 years. Will that negatively affect my interview?

None of the traffic tickets was DWI/DUI, no arrest was made, and all fines were under $500.

One ticket I am worried about is getting that one for no insurance. But honestly I don't remember if I carried insurance or not at that time, may be I didn't have the proof of insurance with me at that time as I paid only a fine of $10 after showing proof of insurance to the court.

My driving record is clean now. Thanks.

geetha,
Have you gotten your IL? can you provide us your timeline?Thanks.

Traffic ticket update

Hi All.

I was able to call the bank that I had sent the check making the payment of the traffic ticket that I got. The bank is going to send me the image check. I found the amt and the date of the check.
Now what wld be the next step to take here?

Thanks much,
Akapoor

The next step would be to answer why you requested a proof of payment in the first place. Was the amount over $500 or do you fear that the IO will ask you for proof of payment during the interview?
The important thing to remember is that just because the IO may request proof of payment doesn't mean they require it for adjudicating your case. In many instances it's impossible to show proof of payment for a minor infraction <$500 that happened several years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was in the amt of 165$ in month of July 2005.

The next step would be to answer why you requested a proof of payment in the first place. Was the amount over $500 or do you fear that the IO will ask you for proof of payment during the interview?
The important thing to remember is that just because the IO may request proof of payment doesn't mean they require it for adjudicating your case. In many instances it's impossible to show proof of payment for a minor infraction <$500 that happened several years ago.

Hi,

Because I have seen here posts that some ppl mentioned that they had obtained proof of payment before IO cld decide on their case.
That is why I want to be cautious and get the copy of the check. But now the question is, do I need to go to the court to get the copy of this ticket itself, have them give me the copy of the reciept too?

Thanks,
AKapoor

Hehehehe this was funny!

Hi,

Because I have seen here posts that some ppl mentioned that they had obtained proof of payment before IO cld decide on their case.
That is why I want to be cautious and get the copy of the check. But now the question is, do I need to go to the court to get the copy of this ticket itself, have them give me the copy of the reciept too?

Thanks,
AKapoor

They don't need proof of payment for a minor traffic ticket <$500. It is not a requirement to show proof of payment for traffic citations below $500 per the instructions on N400 application. Just because they request it doesn't mean they require it to decide your case.
If you're still not convinced and still feel that you rather spend the extra time and money tracking down something that isn't required then by all means go to the court as well and obtain a copy of the ticket as well.

So what are you saying? If the IO asks for proof, you tell him to get lost? :rolleyes:

You would tell IO that you weren't aware it was required since instructions tell you otherwise. Or in some cases you would answer honestly and tell the IO you tried unsuccessfully to obtain proof of payment but weren't able to due to the age of the records.

You would tell IO that you weren't aware it was required since instructions tell you otherwise. Or in some cases you would answer honestly and tell the IO you tried unsuccessfully to obtain proof of payment but weren't able to due to the age of the records.

And Add 'Sir or Madam' before the sentence and after the sentence... you should be fine.

Or in some cases you would answer honestly and tell the IO you tried unsuccessfully to obtain proof of payment but weren't able to due to the age of the records.

Precisely. I've mentioned this before, but NYS DMV destroys records of traffic violations after they've been on your record for 3 years. If you didn't save proof of payment and/or court disposition, there's no way to obtain it from the DMV. Believe me, I've tried.

Hi Vorpal,

I tried calling the bank and luckily they were able to retrieve the check.
So, I think I will have to go to the court and get the copy of the ticket + somehow get them to validate the image check issued by the bank.

thanks,
akapoor
PS: How many years do these points remain on your DMV record? I live state of PA.

Hello All,

I just realized that I forgot to mention two things here:

1. I had recieved one parking ticket, which was later dismissed, since it was not my fault. Shd I report this during the interview?

2. I was involved in an accident, again not my fault. One kid around 20 years was driving, and was taking a left turn, when I was going straight on green light. NO one was injured, but my car got damaged. The cops came, but they noted that it was NOt my fault. Even the damages for the car were paid by that kid;s insurance.
DO I have to report this? I dont have any record of this happening? Do I have to get a copy of report from the police station.

I am really worried. I had almost forgotten abt this. Till I started to rack my memory to get the dates of the time of ticket.
These two incidents happened very close to each other. If my memory serves me correct I got this ticket and then I got involved in this accident or vice versa but they happened with in a week of each other. I think it was accident first and then I got a rental car and this ticket thing happened.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks much,
Akapoor

I think you are worrying too much for nothing about minor traffic violations. From what you have indicated, you shouldn't have any issues at the interview. Focus on what is required rather than on what may or may not be asked at interview.