how many people feel that naturalized citizens are second-class citizens?

how many people feel that naturalized citizens are second-class citizens?

• YES

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • NO

Votes: 29 49.2%

• Total voters
I remember a few years back a Chinese-American (who was in a federal position) was convicted of spying for China and was stripped of his citizenship and also jailed for life. Talk about a double-slap in the face.

Can you cite who it was so we can validate this claim?

if you oiriginal country does not recognize dual nationality and automatically
cancelled your citizenship when you became a US citizen, how can the US
government denaturalize you? wouldn't you essentially become a stateless
person with nowhere to be deported to?

They can strip you of your US citizenship regardless of whether you have another citizenship or not. The trouble is with deporting you ... if you are stateless, chances are no country will accept you, so they'll have to let you stay in the US. But I wonder how the denaturalized stateless people go about their lives as far as employment and government-related procedures (e.g. renewing a driver's license) are concerned, and whether they lose their eligibility for Social Security and so on.

They can strip you of your US citizenship regardless of whether you have another citizenship or not. The trouble is with deporting you ... if you are stateless, chances are no country will accept you, so they'll have to let you stay in the US. But I wonder how the denaturalized stateless people go about their lives as far as employment and government-related procedures (e.g. renewing a driver's license) are concerned, and whether they lose their eligibility for Social Security and so on.

such a stateless person will probably live/work in the US like millions of undocumented workers here?

But I wonder how the denaturalized stateless people go about their lives as far as employment and government-related procedures (e.g. renewing a driver's license) are concerned, and whether they lose their eligibility for Social Security and so on.

For a while, criminal aliens whose home country would not accept them would be held indefinitely, but there was a court case on that subject. I don't recall how that ended up.

But if you have been denaturalized it will be based on a criminal conviction of naturalization fraud in addition to (usually) something else, so you will not need to worry about employment or a driver's license. I don't think you have any use for them in a federal prison.

For a while, criminal aliens whose home country would not accept them would be held indefinitely, but there was a court case on that subject. I don't recall how that ended up.

But if you have been denaturalized it will be based on a criminal conviction of naturalization fraud in addition to (usually) something else, so you will not need to worry about employment or a driver's license. I don't think you have any use for them in a federal prison.

free room and board for a long long time, yes? :D

Denaturalization does not bring a life sentence. That Haitian-born guy (Lionel Jean-Baptiste) who was denaturalized was released after doing his time, after Haiti refused to take him because they automatically revoked his citizenship when he naturalized in the US.

Denaturalization does not bring a life sentence.

I didn't suggest that it did.

That Haitian-born guy (Lionel Jean-Baptiste) who was denaturalized was released after doing his time, after Haiti refused to take him because they automatically revoked his citizenship when he naturalized in the US.

Got any more info? I tried googling the name but it's not exactly unusual for a Haitian.

I didn't suggest that it did.
You suggested a denaturalized person who cannot be deported would never need to worry about employment and a driver's license because they'd be in prison. Unless they are in prison for life, they will someday have to worry about those things.

I've never really thought about the posed questioned.

However, I do believe that the constitution should be changed to allow naturalized citizens to hold the posts of president and vice president.

Naturalized citizens took an oath to defend this country. Natural-born citizens do not. Is it fair to judge one's loyalty based on the location of their birth? If that's case, I'm loyal to the King of Thailand!

Who is "they"? Have you ever considered that "they" don't know what they're talking about? Especially when you consider that the average American has no clue about immigration law.

I agree completely. A while ago, I was perusing the immigration section on Yahoo Answers and was shocked to see how many natural-born Americans were complaining about "illegal immigrants from Puerto Rico" living on their block. Just about as many believe that anyone who is not a citizen is an illegal immigrant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both German and Italian Americans were also interned during WWII.
Also, some Japanese in Hawaii were interned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American_internment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment

Thanks, you learn something everyday. (Personally, I think one should take Wikipedia entries with a grain of salt though...a starting point, not repository of all knowledge.) I still maintain given the numbers (assuming they're correct) of 110,000 Japanese/Japanese Americans v. 11,000 Germans/German Americans, when I'd expect a whole lot more of the latter than the former in the US as a whole, racism played a much larger role than security concerns and immigration status played none.