how many people feel that naturalized citizens are second-class citizens?

how many people feel that naturalized citizens are second-class citizens?

• YES

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • NO

Votes: 29 49.2%

• Total voters
Thanks, tsnbagman. Have you been able to get any additional information about your name check?

I was at the DO last Friday but they have not provided me with any new information. All I can do is wait and check with them every often on.

It is interesting story, isn't it ?

They caught guy for criminal offence than realized that he did not have good moral image before naturalization in the past.

That is one of the point that naturalized citizen and born here are treated differently.

You are caught doing something wrong AFTER the naturalization, and DA/public/politicians wants you gone, they can go through your citizenship papers and find some omission, some mistake and use that to file for deportation. Then it is upto you to defend it. If you have money and good lawyer and get a good judge, you may be ok. Otherwise, it is all up in the air.

One poster said how he is not worried about this at all and that is good. You do not have to be worried but at the same time, saying it can not and will never happen is also not true. Just because it is not in the news does not mean it never happened. It seems each year about 280,000 people are held on Immigration violations. (http://www.startribune.com/nation/14456137.html) Even if 1% of those are wrongly accused, you are looking at a high number.

An article related to what is discussed in this thread

It's not related at all. It's a case of ICE either erroneously deporting people who cannot prove citizenship, or engaging in deliberately illegal conduct, depending on how honest you consider the source to be.

What does this have to do with denaturalization, or naturlization? The person in the article was born in the US. :rolleyes: If anything, it's proof that citizens of all sorts are treated equally (poorly).

It's not related at all. It's a case of ICE either erroneously deporting people who cannot prove citizenship, or engaging in deliberately illegal conduct, depending on how honest you consider the source to be.

What does this have to do with denaturalization, or naturlization? The person in the article was born in the US. :rolleyes: If anything, it's proof that citizens of all sorts are treated equally (poorly).

i just read the article. That sucks..even U.S. Born Citizen got deported. The thing with those cases, They could have avoided deportation by providing the necessary documents. From what i read, They couldnt provide anything. Moral of the story. Keep all records and apply for a U.S. Passport even if you dont travel. Its just an extra document in your house to prove your citizenship ;)

Well, all other things aside.... how is your stimulous check coming?

I personally didn't get any money back from IRS and started calling wondering why.... Whadya think? It turns out that... never mind the President, IRS says that I am not eligible just because my wife doesn't have SSN yet (another story how they got me face the wall just for my desire to pay taxes properly and how I have to get a ombudusman step in so I could do my duty)....

I wouldn't mind getting just $400 for myself since I have valid SSN for over 10 years.... but no, since I choose to marry a gal without SSN "stimulus package" doesn't apply to me... tough luck, or is it? If you ask me IRS is breaking the law that the president signed in and there are at least hundreds of thousands who got screwed for about a thou each... give or take.... Makes about hundred million dollars that IRS is widthholding against the law.... plus interest... Any lawyers willing to step up and get that money?

Put me in the same boat. That is F-ed- up.
I read the regulation myself and figured it out. My wife has TIN# and that is not eligible. If she gets here by end of 2008 I can change my taxes probably.

Peace.

Put me in the same boat. That is F-ed- up.

It's not - I suspect it's to deter fraud since they're sending out so many checks in such little time.

If she gets here by end of 2008 I can change my taxes probably.

Why? If you're married filing jointly you are eligible to get the extra money whether she has an SSN or not, you just have to wait to file your 2008 taxes.

i just read the article. That sucks..even U.S. Born Citizen got deported. The thing with those cases, They could have avoided deportation by providing the necessary documents.
But some provided documents and ICE didn't believe them. Or ICE whisked them away to a detention center over 1000 miles away without access to a phone or attorney.

depend on case to case basis

Arnold schwatneggar Governor of California is Nat Cit but still Gov of CA and like him many more that I dont know

But some provided documents and ICE didn't believe them. Or ICE whisked them away to a detention center over 1000 miles away without access to a phone or attorney.

i too just read the article. this is so terrible. maybe i should have my uscis a#, my us passport number, and my social security number, all tattooed to somewhere on my body... in case i fall, hit my head, lose my memory and end up in ice immigration jail, then get deported.... :eek:

well, unless i want a free one-way trip to tijuana, mexico!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

these are only the stories that we read about... what about the ones that nobody knows about?

Once actually detained, the naturalized citizens probably have an easier time getting out of the situation than the average born citizen. Naturalized citizens will normally be in various immigration databases with years of electronic and paper trails stored about them, so it is easy for ICE to look them up (if they actually care to look them up rather than hastily deporting them). Whereas most born Americans don't have a passport and haven't interacted much (if at all) with the Immigration authorities. Their birth certificate is often their only proof, ICE's databases might not verify their citizenship, and they are just so unfamiliar with immigration rules that they don't know what to do or say.

The born citizens who were born overseas to American parents are even in worse shape if they don't have a passport, as their birth certificate by itself is basically useless (unless they got a certificate from the US consulate) without proof of their parents' citizenship. That has resulted in many middle-age and elderly born citizens being unable to register to vote under the new voter ID rules that have been implemented in a number of states; they are unable to obtain proof of their citizenship because their parents are now dead or senile.

However, the born citizens (especially white citizens with American accents) are probably less likely to be detained in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once actually detained, the naturalized citizens probably have an easier time getting out of the situation than the average born citizen. Naturalized citizens will normally be in various immigration databases with years of electronic and paper trails stored about them, so it is easy for ICE to look them up (if they actually care to look them up rather than hastily deporting them). Whereas most born Americans don't have a passport and haven't interacted much (if at all) with the Immigration authorities. Their birth certificate is often their only proof, ICE's databases might not verify their citizenship.

The reporter in this case was able to pull the birth certificate of the US citizen without any problems and ICE at first wanted to wait a week to verify the info. Goes to show how government agencies don't work together in sharing information as it was up to the citizen to prove who he was instead of ICE doing their homework in the first place.

The reporter in this case was able to pull the birth certificate of the US citizen without any problems and ICE at first wanted to wait a week to verify the info. Goes to show how government agencies don't work together in sharing information as it was up to the citizen to prove who he was instead of ICE doing their homework in the first place.

same thing with death sentences.... remember how many people were released from death rows as a result of new evidences?