how many people feel that naturalized citizens are second-class citizens?

how many people feel that naturalized citizens are second-class citizens?

• YES

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • NO

Votes: 29 49.2%

• Total voters
You forgot Iraq. ;-)

My point was that if they want they can have internment camps for no other reason than to feel like they are taking actions.

Japanese internment camps are a bad example as they occurred in a different era, during a World War in which Japan was the axis and were in response to the attacks at Pearl Harbor.. The US government has since officially apologized and made reparation payments to those directly affected. If anything, those internments and later apology have made it less likely for this to happen on such a mass scale with naturalized citizens in the future.

Now, that won't stop the US government in detaining "enemy combatants" for many years with no trial or charges whatsoever, neither will it stop them of foreign prisoner abuse, renditions, or other violations of human rights or Geneva conventions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you accept America as your own home country, America will not accept you as her own son/daughter

Well said Ghory..

A very mature thinking for someone from Pakistan ;):D
(Pun intended)

My profession has provided me opportunities to live and work in many countries (more than 5!). My experience has been that the US is the best place in the world to live. Here is why:

Americans readily accept new immigrants as Americans. America is ready to embrace you as one of their if you let them. When I naturalized I was pleasantly surprised to my American friends throw parties to celeberate it. Life in America is much better than any country. We have more freedoms set in the constitution than any other country. There is glass ceiling here for immigrants as is the case in many countries.

Coming back to the initial question, I think if one is prepared to accept other Americans as first class people America will accept you as first class citizens. You will see an image of yourself. If you are happy and accepting you will find Americans doing that too. As is the adage, good people see the goodness in others.
Finally, some immigrants have cultural adaption issues, some more than others. Some finding giving up cultural ways of doing thing hard and look down on others from the same community as selling out. Wearing shoes in the house, speaking english and not their first language at home was a symptom of this issue.

I think most employment based immigrants who are doing well here, will have a positive image of America. Those who came here as brides/grooms and are having happy married life to might find things rosy and have a positive experience towards citizenship and life in the US.

Ok, I think that naturalized citizens are refurbished version of the born citizens.

Exactly. They're more likely to be shipped back to the factory.

Somehow people have turned this thread into a discussion of whether one should feel like a second-class citizen if naturalized. The original question was whether you feel that one is in fact a second-class citizen if naturalized. And there's really no debate to be had over that. Naturalized citizenship will always be on shakier legal ground than natural born citizenship, however impeccable your past, and however high your self-esteem as an American. The government doesn't care how you feel.

not worth losing sleep over it :cool: I've always live my life to the fullest. I never really think about my status in this country. The only reason i applied for the citizenship is because i just dont want to renew my GC every ten years. Thats the ONLY reason. Other than that, i party hard, do what ever i want. I remember i got alcohol poison 3 times and got arrested inside the bar for being too drunk. lol!! (college life :p)

The premise of this poll is laden with mental issues, insecurities and serious inferiority complexes. One thing I've learned, is that if you work hard, study hard and do well in this country..the right people notice, no matter what race or gender you are. I've been very blessed in this regard. Just work hard and compete ferociously because there is always is always someone better, faster, smarter and more well liked.

Warm Regards,
-jedi

The premise of this poll is laden with mental issues, insecurities and serious inferiority complexes. One thing I've learned, is that if you work hard, study hard and do well in this country..the right people notice, no matter what race or gender you are. I've been very blessed in this regard. Just work hard and compete ferociously because there is always is always someone better, faster, smarter and more well liked.

Warm Regards,
-jedi

exactly what i was thinking :) Lifes too short. Have fun....

Yeah, this question somehow implies that citizenship is special. The mere fact that you area human being makes everyone special...regardless of status. I unilaterally REJECT this question, its poll and its premise on the basis of the fallacious reasoning behind it.

It's like some how people are elevated by a piece of paper and somehow become more special human beings. All human beings, regardless of nationality are special...let me accentuate it...PERIOD!

not worth losing sleep over it :cool: I've always live my life to the fullest. I never really think about my status in this country. The only reason i applied for the citizenship is because i just dont want to renew my GC every ten years. Thats the ONLY reason. Other than that, i party hard, do what ever i want. I remember i got alcohol poison 3 times and got arrested inside the bar for being too drunk. lol!! (college life :p)

Let me have a look at your case again...

Just keep in mind, you won't feel anything unless you want to feel that way, unless you use the airport for traveling abroad or having a big problem which may result conflicting with you immigration status. Being a second hand feeling citizen is almost up to individuals and how they feel. I probably don't feel that way because my goals are different, or I don't really care to become a president. I do care about accomplishing a big service toward human being around the globe and first citizens of this country, at least in respond to what they have done for me.
If you see yourself an outsider and I tell you that you are one because you look like one. Feel and try to blend in.

I love you guys. :D Feel like a first class citizen which care about people of this country.

Exactly. They're more likely to be shipped back to the factory.

Somehow people have turned this thread into a discussion of whether one should feel like a second-class citizen if naturalized. The original question was whether you feel that one is in fact a second-class citizen if naturalized. And there's really no debate to be had over that. Naturalized citizenship will always be on shakier legal ground than natural born citizenship, however impeccable your past, and however high your self-esteem as an American. The government doesn't care how you feel.

I agree with you, and that was my understanding of the question when I answered the poll. Naturalized citizens don't have all the rights of natural born citizens and have the relatively low risk of losing their citizenship, or put it in other way, that it never existed in the first place. I don't know why the thread has degenerated in some psychobabble ;) It is not that I feel inferior, or that I am not happy to have accomplished what I have accomplished in terms of naturalization. It's just that naturalized citizens are somewhat on shakier legal ground. Not much shakier, but more than a natural born citizen. Anyway, I appreciate that the U.S. is quite generous on their naturalization practices and the rights given to naturalized citizens, but so does Canada, and Australia as far as I can see. I just want to work towards making this a more perfect Union ;) and I see this being done by granting full privileges to naturalized citizens. Make their rights and protections exactly the same as natural born citizens.

My 2 cents.

every state here is different..the way i like to put it is that every state is a small country within the US and have their own laws to an extent. with that being said, i believe that you might be considered or treated as a second class citizen in one place and in other places you might not have any problems.

p.s. got my oath letter yesterday in the mail. scheduled for june 27th. about that time i can call myself a citizen of the United States.

every state here is different..the way i like to put it is that every state is a small country within the US and have their own laws to an extent. with that being said, i believe that you might be considered or treated as a second class citizen in one place and in other places you might not have any problems.

p.s. got my oath letter yesterday in the mail. scheduled for june 27th. about that time i can call myself a citizen of the United States.

congrats !!!! :)

I agree with you, and that was my understanding of the question when I answered the poll. Naturalized citizens don't have all the rights of natural born citizens and have the relatively low risk of losing their citizenship, or put it in other way, that it never existed in the first place. I don't know why the thread has degenerated in some psychobabble ;) It is not that I feel inferior, or that I am not happy to have accomplished what I have accomplished in terms of naturalization. It's just that naturalized citizens are somewhat on shakier legal ground. Not much shakier, but more than a natural born citizen. Anyway, I appreciate that the U.S. is quite generous on their naturalization practices and the rights given to naturalized citizens, but so does Canada, and Australia as far as I can see. I just want to work towards making this a more perfect Union ;) and I see this being done by granting full privileges to naturalized citizens. Make their rights and protections exactly the same as natural born citizens.

My 2 cents.

Excellent point. From a personal perspective, I feel like I've fully assimilated as a member of the American society. The only difference that I'll notice once I become naturalized is voting and visa-free travel. I have no political ambitions, let alone Presidential ambitions, so the fact that I'll never be able to become President (unless an amendment is passed to change that) will not affect me in any way, shape, or form. If I don't feel any less of a member of society than a natural born citizen as a LPR, why would I feel any differently with a naturalization certificate?

However, the original question was "How many people feel that naturalized citizens are second-class citizens?" As pointed out by many, natural born citizens have certain rights that naturalized citizens don't. While I don't believe that naturalized citizens are second class, naturalized CITIZENSHIP is most certainly second class, albeit from an administrative perspective.

As pointed out by many, natural born citizens have certain rights that naturalized citizens don't.

Apart from the Constitutional prohibitions against holding the offices of President and Vice-President, what rights are denied to naturalized citizens.

Apart from the Constitutional prohibitions against holding the offices of President and Vice-President, what rights are denied to naturalized citizens.

None that I can think of. In fact, those are the only 2 I was referring to. Also, let's not forget denaturalizations, but I'm staying out of that discussion.