Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Traffic tickets, if they are less than $500 (I believe) and don't involve DUI/DWI don't have to be disclosed.

I had a cellphone ticket that I got in Brooklyn in 2004 and didn't have to disclose it.

However, if you had your interview and are waiting on the oath, you do have to disclose it, per the questionnaire at the back of the oath ceremony notification.

It is possible that you don't have to provide documentation for it (although you still have to mention it on the application). The Guide To Naturalization says:

Thanks for the info. I made every effort possible to obtain records of every traffic summons I've ever gotten, and was successful in most cases. I'm not worried about it, but I hope that I don't end up being interviewed by an IO with a chip on his/her shoulder.

Speeding ticket 10 years ago?

Just remembered that I got a speeding ticket about 10 years ago. No traffic violation after that. So I think I just totally blocked that out of my mind. I realized that I put "no" to "any citation" question in my N400. Would that get me into any trouble?

Should I just not mention it if it isn't brought up? Or shall I just bring that up myself? I don't have any paperwork on that ticket either. I don't know what to get. I had an Illinois license then, but holding a NY license now. Do I call IL DMV or NY DMV?

Just remembered that I got a speeding ticket about 10 years ago. No traffic violation after that. So I think I just totally blocked that out of my mind. I realized that I put "no" to "any citation" question in my N400. Would that get me into any trouble?

Should I just not mention it if it isn't brought up? Or shall I just bring that up myself? I don't have any paperwork on that ticket either. I don't know what to get. I had an Illinois license then, but holding a NY license now. Do I call IL DMV or NY DMV?

I had a "no turn" ticket 12 years ago in NYC. The NYS DMV no longer has that ticket on record, so I can't get proof of payment/disposition. If I were you, I'd order a copy of my driving abstract from the DMV, which will serve as proof that your license is not suspended (a suspension is automatically instated if a summons is not paid/responded to in a timely manner), as well as demonstrate that you've made an effort to obtain records. Also, was the summons issued in New York or Illinois? In order to obtain records of a summons, you would contact the state where the summons was issued, not the state where your driver license was issued.

I had a "no turn" ticket 12 years ago in NYC. The NYS DMV no longer has that ticket on record, so I can't get proof of payment/disposition. If I were you, I'd order a copy of my driving abstract from the DMV, which will serve as proof that your license is not suspended (a suspension is automatically instated if a summons is not paid/responded to in a timely manner), as well as demonstrate that you've made an effort to obtain records. Also, was the summons issued in New York or Illinois? In order to obtain records of a summons, you would contact the state where the summons was issued, not the state where your driver license was issued.

You have to take 'reasonable steps' to show whatever information you can. clearly if the state does not feel it important enough to keep and provide you with a record of your 'crime' then you have to question wether it was a 'crime' after all.

I had a "no left turn" ticket for $124 in Calabasas CA eleven years ago. It was just a few moments after I had landed coming from Germany on Visa Waiver (you do not always think of reading the days and times left turn is allowed...). I had paid the ticket at the Calabasas Municipal court and kept the receipt in my passport... until my passport expired. :(

In the meantime as far as I know Calabasas is part of the Los Angeles County court system, which would make any receipt unavailable if I asked a Los Angeles court. Furthermore, since I had presented my Swiss Driver License to the Police Officer there was obviously no record of the ticket in my Michigan driver's license.

I had not mentioned any ticket because I wrongfully thought that traffic tickets were excluded as for the I-485. I mentioned all tickets including this one at the interview. The IO updated my application and that was it.
----------------------
Detroit DO - NSC
09/28/98 Entered on K-1 (Fiance) Visa
12/19/98 Married with US Citizen (still happily married 9 years after )
12/24/98 Filed I-485, I-130, I-765 in OKC (NSC)
01/03/99 Moved to Texas (TSC)
05/xx/00 Moved to Eastern PA (VSC)
11/xx/00 Moved to Central NJ (VSC)
03/19/01 LPR
03/xx/03 Received GC dated 03/19/2001
03/20/07 N-400 Priority Date
04/12/07 FP done
09/19/07 Interview passed :)
10/26/07 Naturalized Citizen :)

Just mention it during your interview and let them know that you have no paper trail for it. It should not be a show stopper. Good luck!!!

Thanks Triple.

But shall I get a driving report from NY DMV anyway? The ticket was issued in NY while I was still holding a IL license.

Thanks Triple.

But shall I get a driving report from NY DMV anyway? The ticket was issued in NY while I was still holding a IL license.

I'd get a report, just to be on the safe side. If nothing else, it shows that you at least made an effort to obtain records.

I had an at fault accident and speeding ticket about 6 six years ago. Did not mention in N-400 (i Didn't know i had to).
No issue, got citizebship few weeks ago.

Speeding Ticket After Interview, Before Oath..Adivse Please

Well i had my interview today, passed, and on the same day was scheduled for my oath to occur next wed Jan 16th. On the drive home i got a speeding ticket for doing 65 in a 60 zone, $93. On the oath letter, it asks a questionaire about things that have happened since interview and before oath. One of them is asking to check yes if you have gotten a citation for a traffic violation, i will have to check yes, but should i pay the ticket right away, and take a copy of it with me to oath, or dont pay it, take the actual ticket with me, and will this cause a problem at my oath, will they deny me because of this. Please advise. thanks

Are you planning to pay up or contest the ticket in the court?

If you are anyway planning to pay, I suggest you pay the fine and take the ticket & disposition papers/receipt to the Oath ceremony.

Don't take a chance on this thing. Having waited this long, it is not a good idea to take a chance over $93 !!

its on 93, so i was gonna just pay it, but i got the ticket about an hour from where i live, so i cant go there and pay it, i have to mail it. so i wont get no receipt and i have to send the ticket with it in the mail. so what should i do then without driving an hour.

Well i had my interview today, passed, and on the same day was scheduled for my oath to occur next wed Jan 16th. On the drive home i got a speeding ticket for doing 65 in a 60 zone, $93. On the oath letter, it asks a questionaire about things that have happened since interview and before oath. One of them is asking to check yes if you have gotten a citation for a traffic violation, i will have to check yes, but should i pay the ticket right away, and take a copy of it with me to oath, or dont pay it, take the actual ticket with me, and will this cause a problem at my oath, will they deny me because of this. Please advise. thanks

If you plan on fighting the ticket in court (which is almost always a moot point), I'd make a copy of the ticket before sending it away with a not guilty plea and bring the copy to the oath. I doubt that you'll be denied your oath over a pending speeding ticket. If you plan on pleading guilty and paying it, pay with a money order and bring the money order receipt with you. If they demand proof of payment, a money order receipt would be a stronger proof of payment than a copy of a personal check.

On the other hand, they ticketed you for going 5 mph over speed limit??? I'm speechless...

Someone correct me if I was wrong, I don't think that you are required to disclose any traffic violations unless it is $500 in fine and/or resulted in arrest.

Enjoy your life and move on!

that statement for under 500 is not mentioned on the oath letter, and i thought it was 200, anyways, to vorpal, the officer said i was actually doing 72, but since i have a clean record, he cited me for 65 in a 60 zone. so that it is cheaper.

As Vorpal suggested, pay it using a money order (rather than a personal check). Remember to make a copy of the ticket, money order for your records before mailing them. Mail it by USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation. If you go to www.usps.com and pay for it online and print the label, you don't pay extra for delivery confirmation.

Show the Oath officer the copy of the ticket, copy of the MO as proof of payment, and copy of the USPS delivery confirmation as proof of mailing it.

Good luck next week.