Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Hi McMahon
Congratulations! I am travelling and did not read up your experience until now. You did the right thing in adding the ticket information to your file. I never got a ticket (touch wood so far!) so I will probably will not have any updates to my file. BTW, I do 25k miles per year but do use a cruise control most times and that helps:)
I just posted about my personal experience (interview on 09/19) for traffic tickets. I remitted to the IO the list of tickets, indicating that I misinterpreted the instructions on the Guide.

3 traffic tickets and no proof of payment

I paid two of them and attended traffic school for one. I plan to mention in the application about the traffic tickets but do not have any proof that I paid. What should I do?

Thanks for your replies.

I paid two of them and attended traffic school for one. I plan to mention in the application about the traffic tickets but do not have any proof that I paid. What should I do?

Thanks for your replies.

According to the N-400 instructions, no proof is required if the ticket was not for a DWI or reckless driving AND was less than $500. However, you should obtain a copy of your driving abstract from the DMV, just to be on the safe side. I had a ticket 12 years ago for which I couldn't get proof from the court (they only keep records for 5 years in New York), nor does it show up on my abstract, which only lists the past 3 years' worth of violations. However, my license status is clearly shown as valid, which should be proof enough that I paid the ticket. I doubt you'll have any problems.

According to the N-400 instructions, no proof is required if the ticket was not for a DWI or reckless driving AND was less than $500. However, you should obtain a copy of your driving abstract from the DMV, just to be on the safe side. I had a ticket 12 years ago for which I couldn't get proof from the court (they only keep records for 5 years in New York), nor does it show up on my abstract, which only lists the past 3 years' worth of violations. However, my license status is clearly shown as valid, which should be proof enough that I paid the ticket. I doubt you'll have any problems.

Thanks Vorpal for the reply! It's not for DUI or reckless driving and was less the $500. I'll obtain a copy of my driving abstract from the DMV.

Hope I do not have any problem.

Have a nice day!

Get a copy of your DMV from all states where you have held licences and disclose whatever comes up in those. In the eventuality that you have overlooked something you should be able to demonstrate that you made reasonable effort to get everything. If it is a traffic ticket and its not on your DMV record and you dont recall anything about it, there is really very little you can do and at that time you have made all reasonable attempt and this is good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q on Traffic Tkts:

I am in the process of filing my N-400. For the question on citations (in Part 10), should I show all the traffic tickets that I got so far or I just have to show the traffic tickets I got in the past 5 years ?

The question says "Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason? " but does not specify any time period unlike some other questions.

So I am guessing I have to show all the traffic tickets.

Can any one hlep me please !

Thanks.
Sami.

The operative word is 'ever" which has no time limit. The don't ask you to "show" any tickets but a yes or a no. At the interview you can show proof of having paid the fine.

I am in the process of filing my N-400. For the question on citations (in Part 10), should I show all the traffic tickets that I got so far or I just have to show the traffic tickets I got in the past 5 years ?

The question says "Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason? " but does not specify any time period unlike some other questions.

So I am guessing I have to show all the traffic tickets.

Can any one hlep me please !

Thanks.
Sami.

Citattions on N-400

I submitted my N-400 form recently. After going through various Threads it is apparent that I have made a mistake when I mentioned "No" to question in section 16, where it is asked, if you were ever arrested, detained or cited.

(1)Now what should I do?
(2)Will my application get rejected?
(3)If I tell them in interview about my mistake in interpreting the question and provide them with details, will that be OK.
(4)Has anyone gone through same situation as mine?

I know there have been threads on what needs to be done when preparing N400. Unfortunately, I read them after mailing the application. My bad. But no one ever talks about what happens next. Or has any application ever been rejected because of such a minor error?

Please respond, I am bit worried.

It won't get rejected. But when you are called for interview, mention it to the IO and also bring an updated copy of the N-400 for the IO to put in ur file (at least for the pages you need to correct).
Don't sweat :)

I have gone through the same situation. I had believed that the N-400 form included the same disclaimer as the I-485 (i.e. "excluding traffic tickets") and had not mentioned any traffic ticket. I printed a list of my tickets with place, date and outcome (for example: Place: Germany, Date: 11/1986, Nature of infraction: Ticket for lack of visibility, outcome: Paid $15 fine). I handed this to the IO as soon as I was sworn in. She read through the document, told me that indeed I should have mentioned it in the N-400, added it to the file and changed the answers to the questions.
----------------------
Detroit DO - NSC
09/28/98 Entered on K-1 (Fiance) Visa
12/19/98 Married with US Citizen (still happily married 9 years after )
12/24/98 Filed I-485, I-130, I-765 in OKC (NSC)
01/03/99 Moved to Texas (TSC)
05/xx/00 Moved to Eastern PA (VSC)
11/xx/00 Moved to Central NJ (VSC)
03/19/01 LPR
03/xx/03 Received GC dated 03/19/2001
03/20/07 N-400 Priority Date
04/12/07 FP done
09/19/07 Interview passed :)
10/26/07 Naturalized Citizen :)

Cell Phone Tickets

Hi Everyone
I just wanted to check if Cell Phone tickets can cause any effect on N-400 Application.

I have got few cell phone tickets between green card and filing N-400 Application. None of the tickets were more then $100 per incident .
I am N-400 applicant from NYC .

Does this effect my N-400 applicastion anyway?

Appriciate your help in advance.

Thanks

Hi Everyone
I just wanted to check if Cell Phone tickets can cause any effect on N-400 Application.

I have got few cell phone tickets between green card and filing N-400 Application. None of the tickets were more then $100 per incident .
I am N-400 applicant from NYC .

Does this effect my N-400 applicastion anyway?

Appriciate your help in advance.

Thanks

Cell phone tickets? Can you please explain?

talking on the phone without using a blue tooth or hands free headphones while driving? Im just guessing..

IIRC it's illegal in NY/NJ to do that.

talking on the phone without using a blue tooth or hands free headphones while driving? Im just guessing..

IIRC it's illegal in NY/NJ to do that.

If that's the case, I would say it falls in the same category as a speeding ticket: as long as it's paid off, you should be fine.

Cell Phone tickets

Yes I am refering to traffic ticket issued by cops
I was talking on the phone while driving the car and not using blue tooth or hands free kit.

Also do I need to disclose on application or to IO at the time of interview if amount of fine is not more then $100

Thanks

Yes I am refering to traffic ticket issued by cops
I was talking on the phone while driving the car and not using blue tooth or hands free kit.

Also do I need to disclose on application or to IO at the time of interview if amount of fine is not more then $100

Thanks

Yes, you have to disclose if you were cited by Police for any offense. I had a ticket and my fine was $80. I mentioned it in the application and officer just asked me to confirm it. It is not a big deal as long as it is not DUI, reckless driving etc.

Hotguynyc,
Any citation issued to you by any law enforcement agency needs to be disclosed. Parking tickets excluded since the citation is issued to the car, not the individual.

I had a minor traffic violation (not a DUI/reckless driving) back in 1995. I pleaded guilty and paid the fine. The DMV and the traffic court no longer have it on record. My current driving transcript shows a valid license with a record of all summonses for the past 5 years. Think I'll get hassled by an IO over that one summons?

I had a minor traffic violation (not a DUI/reckless driving) back in 1995. I pleaded guilty and paid the fine. The DMV and the traffic court no longer have it on record. My current driving transcript shows a valid license with a record of all summonses for the past 5 years. Think I'll get hassled by an IO over that one summons?
It is possible that you don't have to provide documentation for it (although you still have to mention it on the application). The Guide To Naturalization says:

Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine less than $500 and/or points on your driver’s license.