Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Your ticket probably *is* in the system, but due to clerical error it was entered with a different number... like somebody entered it as 1234576 instead of 1234567.

The ticket in the system probably still has the right name and address and/or driver's license number on it, so what you need to find out is not whether this particular ticket is in the system, but whether *any* unpaid ticket whatsoever exists in the system for your name+address or driver's license number or car license plate number. If this ticket was entered with your personal details (albeit with a wrong ticket number) and you don't pay it, the next thing you'll get is a fine or court notice for failing to pay.

When I call the court in NJ they only ask the ticket number and PREFIX … I always give the info and they say ticket is not in the system.
When I got the ticket I had Maryland driving license and on ticket my address is of Maryland and car plate was of Maryland and after I moved to NJ I got NJ DL and surrendered Maryland Card plates to Maryland MVS and got the receipt that they got my car plates and at present I have NJ DL, NJ car plate and NJ home address

Maybe you can try looking up your driving records like this link here for NJ

http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/driving-records.php

But I think it only shows up after it's either paid or settled in court.

The link you gave is not NJ DMV link. If the NJ DMV has no info about the ticket then court also will not have info about the ticket. NJ municipal court and www.njmcdirect.com share the same data. Whenever the info is in the system it will not be for NJ driving license it will be for Maryland license # as the poster was given ticket when he had the Maryland license. when he got the ticket he had out of state license and he will not get any points for his new NJ licence. when ever the ticket is in the system then only court can give date or can take the fine. if ticket is not in the system then it is not the mistake of poster. he should just write letter to court and give his new NJ address so that if ticket is in system they should send info to new address.

If I were you, I will get the Driver's record from Maryland and NJ just before the interview and give it to them. This way, if it shows up just before interview, you can pay and show the receipt.

I had a similar experience(a NJ resident since 93) I got stopped for improper lane change, tailgate and child not in boaster seat. Even after a year, I did not see it or I got a ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I call the court in NJ they only ask the ticket number and PREFIX … I always give the info and they say ticket is not in the system.
A ticket with that number probably is not in the system. A ticket with a different number could be.
When I got the ticket I had Maryland driving license and on ticket my address is of Maryland and car plate was of Maryland and after I moved to NJ I got NJ DL and surrendered Maryland Card plates to Maryland MVS and got the receipt that they got my car plates and at present I have NJ DL, NJ car plate and NJ home address
Ask about whether any ticket exists that is tied to your former Maryland DL# or Maryland plates. Not if a ticket with that ticket number exists.

Thanks for pointing that out, here's the correct link -

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/driver_history_page.htm

You have to open an account with them first and they send you a user id number. This takes about a week. I got my drivers record before I went for my interview in case I was asked about any tickets.

The link you gave is not NJ DMV link. If the NJ DMV has no info about the ticket then court also will not have info about the ticket. NJ municipal court and www.njmcdirect.com share the same data. Whenever the info is in the system it will not be for NJ driving license it will be for Maryland license # as the poster was given ticket when he had the Maryland license. when he got the ticket he had out of state license and he will not get any points for his new NJ licence. when ever the ticket is in the system then only court can give date or can take the fine. if ticket is not in the system then it is not the mistake of poster. he should just write letter to court and give his new NJ address so that if ticket is in system they should send info to new address.

Thanks for pointing that out, here's the correct link -

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/driver_history_page.htm

You have to open an account with them first and they send you a user id number. This takes about a week. I got my drivers record before I went for my interview in case I was asked about any tickets.

I have read the latest Driving book that you get at NJ DMV it clearly says that if DL is out of state and one gets ticket in NJ then that is reported to the DMV of the sate that give DL and in my situation if any info they have to send it to Maryland MVS and one dont got points. I dont need NJ driving record at this time as Traffic ticket is not in the system and NJ record will show nothing

A ticket with that number probably is not in the system. A ticket with a different number could be.
Ask about whether any ticket exists that is tied to your former Maryland DL# or Maryland plates. Not if a ticket with that ticket number exists.

The NJ ticket has Printed COURT ID… PREFIX … TICKET NUMBER and officer dont write the ticket number with pen.
if they have ticket # in system but not with my name then it does not belong to me. officers have thousends printed booklets of tickes in NJ.

I have asked that if any ticket is related to my MD DL number or my Car plates that were of MD and court always says the ticket is not in the system

If I were you, I will get the Driver's record from Maryland and NJ just before the interview and give it to them. This way, if it shows up just before interview, you can pay and show the receipt.

I had a similar experience(a NJ resident since 93) I got stopped for improper lane change, tailgate and child not in boaster seat. Even after a year, I did not see it or I got a ticket.

according to your info You were only stopped and not given ticket. I was stopped and was given ticket for improper turn. I have the ticket with me. if you also wre given ticket then how did you resolve the matter.

I would ha ve still done the same way, if I get a message from the DMV/court that nothing is standing in my record.

The NJ ticket has Printed COURT ID… PREFIX … TICKET NUMBER and officer dont write the ticket number with pen.
But the clerical staff keys in the ticket number by hand. They make a data entry mistake when typing in the number, and a different ticket number could get registered in the system with your name and DL# on it.

But the clerical staff keys in the ticket number by hand. They make a data entry mistake when typing in the number, and a different ticket number could get registered in the system with your name and DL# on it.

You are correct that the clerical staff keys in the ticket number that is printed on the ticket and COURT ID… PREFIX, Car Plate number by hand. The poster at the time of getting ticket had MD DL and MD DL number will be entered, MD address will be entered, MD plate # will be entered. Poster got ticket in Jersey City, NJ in April 2007. if the poster calls the court in Jersey City NJ he gets the info ticket is not in the system. May be the officer did not give the ticket for system entry, may be officer lost the ticket, may be data entry unit did the mistake. When ever the ticket goes to system then only the person can pay the ticket, Court will not take any payment if the ticket is not in the system or only has name and ticket number entry must be with car plate # of MD, MD DL and correct court ID of NJ. Poster got ticket in April and it is September and according to poster still the ticket is not in the system. Posters MD DMV record will not have any info and posters NJ DL or NJ DMV will not have any info if he gets NJ or MD DMV or MVS records. If it is mistake of data entry unit or officer lost the ticket and did not submit the copy of ticket then court cant do anything. Poster can go to court with the ticket and should get a written statement from Jersey City NJ court clerk that no ticket is in the system against his name, his MD DL number, MD car plate number OR just keep the print out from www.njmcdirect.com that states” NJMCDIRECT is unable to locate the ticket information. Please contact the Court to resolve this”

That is enough for him as at this time no ticket is against him in NJ court system. He can write a letter to NJ municipal court with copy of the ticket that he moved to NJ and provide his NJ address so that when the ticket comes to system they can inform him on NJ address.

I think there must be time limit for the ticket to go to system or officer need to submit the ticket to system. I don’t remember where I read that if the ticket is not in the system or the officer does not submit ticket for 1 year then the ticket is void

What I was suggesting as someone else did, is to get your driving records from both states and if the ticket does not show up on either record you should be ok..here's the link to the Maryland site

http://mva.state.md.us/DriverServ/DrRecord/default.htm

My wife got a ticket a few months before we applied for citizenship, she went to court and paid a higher fine to avoid points. As a result her ticket does not show up as far as auto insurance is concerned but it does show up on her driving record. The point i'm making is that ALL tickets will show up on your driving record whether it's minor or not. If it doesn't show up then you're ok.

I have read the latest Driving book that you get at NJ DMV it clearly says that if DL is out of state and one gets ticket in NJ then that is reported to the DMV of the sate that give DL and in my situation if any info they have to send it to Maryland MVS and one dont got points. I dont need NJ driving record at this time as Traffic ticket is not in the system and NJ record will show nothing

What I was suggesting as someone else did, is to get your driving records from both states and if the ticket does not show up on either record you should be ok..here's the link to the Maryland site

http://mva.state.md.us/DriverServ/DrRecord/default.htm

My wife got a ticket a few months before we applied for citizenship, she went to court and paid a higher fine to avoid points. As a result her ticket does not show up as far as auto insurance is concerned but it does show up on her driving record. The point i'm making is that ALL tickets will show up on your driving record whether it's minor or not. If it doesn't show up then you're ok.
when the persons ticket is not in the system and he calls up court in Jersey City NJ and they inform him that ticket is not in the system it means nothing has been reported to Maryland MVA and Maryland MVA will not have any record till the time ticket is system and NJ court recieves the payment for the ticket or the matter is resolved. at this time MD MVS will not have record of ticket and NJ DMV will not have record of the ticket as the person had the DL of MD.
till the time matter is not resolved by NJ municipal court Maryland MVS or DMV will be having no record. how the MD MVS will have record when ticket is not in the system and matter is not resolved by NJ court?

When a ticket is issued you're given a date by which you need to pay the fine or call and plead not guilty at which time a court date is set. If you do neither it will be reported after the due date.

When a ticket is issued you're given a date by which you need to pay the fine or call and plead not guilty at which time a court date is set. If you do neither it will be reported after the due date.

You are correct that one is given a date to pay the fine or call and not plead guilty. I have called the Jersey City court before the date written on ticket to pay fine and they told ticket number is not in the system. On my ticket court appearance is not tick marked. Today again I called the court and they take 25-30 minute to pick up the and I spoke to same lady who picks up the phone and she said that still the ticket is not in the system when I asked if she can check the info Ticket # only then she said she does not have any ticket with that number in system with my car plate number. She remembers my name as I keep on calling after 10-15 days and 2-3 months back every week. She said that she couldn’t help me with any questions, as the ticket is not in the system

By now it is definite that the specific ticket with the given number is not in the system. But getting your driving record is the only way to know for sure that NO ticket whatsoever, including a ticket with a different ticket number due to clerical error, exists for you. If a ticket was punched into the system with a different ticket number but with your plate# or DL#, it would show up on your record by now.

By now it is definite that the specific ticket with the given number is not in the system. But getting your driving record is the only way to know for sure that NO ticket whatsoever, including a ticket with a different ticket number due to clerical error, exists for you. If a ticket was punched into the system with a different ticket number but with your plate# or DL#, it would show up on your record by now.

The ticket with my name, ticket # court ID and car plate is not in the system according to the lady I spoke with NJ municipal court. If the ticket is not in the system they said that no info is reported to DMV or MVS who issued the DL till the fine is paid or matter is resolved and for me it will be Maryland DMV as I had MD DL, MD address, MD plate and all the info on the ticket is correct. When I asked how to resolve the matter she said ticket need to be in the system and she can’t give more info. As per your suggestion if any ticket with my name were in the system then they would have reported to my MD address or may have sent letter to pay the ticket at MD address. I get all the mail on my NJ address from MD as I changed my address with post office and also online with postal department and I don’t miss any mail.

Speeding ticket question

I applied for citizenship in January this year. After I sent out the application I remember that there was a speeding ticket ten years ago. I paid the ticket (below $100) and I do not have any receipt. Recently I checked my driving history and there is no record of violation. My interview is coming up in October. Should I mention the incident at the interview or not that is my dilemma. What is your advice on this? Thanks in advance.

Mark

I just posted about my personal experience (interview on 09/19) for traffic tickets. I remitted to the IO the list of tickets, indicating that I misinterpreted the instructions on the Guide.
----------------------
Detroit DO - NSC
03/19/01 LPR
03/16/07 N-400 sent to NSC
03/20/07 Priority Date
03/23/07 Notice of Action letter received
03/23/07 FP letter received
04/12/07 FP done
09/19/07 Interview passed :)