Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Boy, I find advising others is always easy !! No emotions, just facts and clear analysis. When it comes to one's own problems, we are all confused !! Life's funny.

:)

Someone correct me if I was wrong, I don't think that you are required to disclose any traffic violations unless it is $500 in fine and/or resulted in arrest.

Enjoy your life and move on!

I thought the same exact thing, but I was wrong. You're required to disclose ALL traffic violations, regardless of fine amount and/or arrest. What you are NOT required to do is provide proof of payment/traffic court disposition for tickets not resulting in arrest and fines of less than $500. However, I've seen numerous posts where IOs demanded proof of payment for ALL tickets, not just those that fall into the above category.

what i think ill do is, on the day of my oath, go to the courthouse where indicated on the citation, since its on the way to seattle DO for me, and pay it there, that way i can get a receipt from them that it is 100% paid. you guys think that would be the best idea?

For oath, they want to know about ALL traffic tickets (whether below 500 or not) and they get to decide. They usually will not deny for a ticket below 500 or crime such as speeding 5 miles over limit but they want to know.

That 500 only applies on N-400 and interview.

I would do what others suggested, pay it with something that can be proven. Take both copy and payment receipt to oath and declare it there. I never read anywhere if they denied oath for such a thing. Ofcourse if I were you, I would drive 1 hr to pay it to get the receipt, just for piece of mind.

Also drive slow, will ya ;-) Just kidding !!!

yeah, i think ill just go there the day of my interview and pay it at the court, since my oath is a 2pm, i can leave early and get it all done. thanks for the input guys.

that statement for under 500 is not mentioned on the oath letter, and i thought it was 200, anyways, to vorpal, the officer said i was actually doing 72, but since i have a clean record, he cited me for 65 in a 60 zone. so that it is cheaper.

Ah, OK. Under normal circumstances, I'd definitely argue the ticket in court, since a speeding offense carries points, which results in higher insurance premiums. I don't know how traffic courts operate in Washington, but in New York, you can usually plead guilty with no points. However, considering that your oath is coming up, it's a different issue. I'd take the next couple of days to look into it a bit more, before pleading guilty and being stuck with higher insurance premiums for the next 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once got a ticket for speeding pst 9-11, that was when in virginia they were reports of penetration. i was driving in Rappahanock or Tappahanock and that is the exact place where threats were. I was cited for driving over 10 miles per hour on a 55 mph barren lands from Luray Caverns. I knew it was racially motivated to nail me down and check who is driving with me. $ 80 fine and moved on..

During registration on the day of your oath, you will most likely be asked if you've "had any trouble with the cops". At that point you should disclose your minor speeding infraction, and be prepared to show proof you've paid it. Won't be a problem.

Well i had my interview today, passed, and on the same day was scheduled for my oath to occur next wed Jan 16th. On the drive home i got a speeding ticket for doing 65 in a 60 zone, $93. On the oath letter, it asks a questionaire about things that have happened since interview and before oath. One of them is asking to check yes if you have gotten a citation for a traffic violation, i will have to check yes, but should i pay the ticket right away, and take a copy of it with me to oath, or dont pay it, take the actual ticket with me, and will this cause a problem at my oath, will they deny me because of this. Please advise. thanks

I would not rush into paying the ticket or mailing it back untill you are close to the deadline date on the ticket itself, since your oath is only a week away, i am sure you have plenty of time to deal with the ticket. You are almost a US citizen, be confident, a minor speeding violation should not jepordize your oath proceedings, and if it does believe me you'll be on CNN and millions will be rallying for you. Whatever you are required to do with the questionaire? just do that. If the officer reviewing it asks about the ticket just mention that you are planning to deal with it at your first convenience and show them the ticket(take a copy just in case they ask for one.)

Take home message for rest of us: ride a cab/bus or use a designated driver between interview and oath.

In fact i was definitely extra cautious during the interview-oath timeframe for this reason, did not venture out at all during california winter storm.

OP, dont worry you will be ok. no one in the forum mentioned this is going to hurt.. so dont worry

well guys, the more i think about this, the more i want to defer or dispute my ticket and not pay it. like someone else said, for them to deny me because of a $93 ticket for 5 over speeding would be worth a news story. please, i think i need some more input, i dont want my insurance to rise thats why i want to defer or dispute.

I would not rush into paying the ticket or mailing it back untill you are close to the deadline date on the ticket itself, since your oath is only a week away, i am sure you have plenty of time to deal with the ticket. You are almost a US citizen, be confident, a minor speeding violation should not jepordize your oath proceedings, and if it does believe me you'll be on CNN and millions will be rallying for you. Whatever you are required to do with the questionaire? just do that. If the officer reviewing it asks about the ticket just mention that you are planning to deal with it at your first convenience and show them the ticket(take a copy just in case they ask for one.)

Take home message for rest of us: ride a cab/bus or use a designated driver between interview and oath.

my above post, i want to take your advice. i hope they wont care about it, and think they shouldnt. as for the ride a cab/bus, out of the question for a 2 hour drive, lol. as far as designated driver, i have problems getting work off my self for this, no one else would, but i will have a desig driver when i go to the oath, my parents are taking the day off to come with me.

well guys, the more i think about this, the more i want to defer or dispute my ticket and not pay it. like someone else said, for them to deny me because of a $93 ticket for 5 over speeding would be worth a news story. please, i think i need some more input, i dont want my insurance to rise thats why i want to defer or dispute.

In my opinion, and this is only an opinion, I'd mention the ticket on the form that you fill out before the oath and explain that you want to challenge the ticket in court. I highly doubt that you will not be allowed to take your oath because you have an outstanding traffic ticket. That'll be a good news story as well. Also, consider this. Let's say a citizenship applicant is pulled over on the way to the oath and issued a ticket (and I'm sure it's happened in the past). Would this applicant be prevented from completing his/hers naturalization process because they went through a red light or failed to stop at a stop sign? Something like this would be all over the news.

you are right, and wasnt saying that i wouldnt mention it on the form, i was saying that i think i will, but im not paying it yet. cause i think i can atleast get the price lowered due to my clean driving record.

you are right, and wasnt saying that i wouldnt mention it on the form, i was saying that i think i will, but im not paying it yet. cause i think i can atleast get the price lowered due to my clean driving record.

Don't worry about the price of the ticket, worry about the points. That's what causes your insurance to go up. I would even suggest hiring an attorney who specializes in traffic tickets. Even if it costs you a couple of hundred bucks, it's still considerably less than what you'll shell out to your insurance company over the next 5 years. My father got an illegal turn ticket, which is a 3 point offense in New York, pleaded guilty, and paid the fine. His insurance company immediately raised his premiums by over $500 per year, despite the fact that he had no points on his record prior to that offense.

my state has no point system:

Washington's Department of Licensing (DOL) does not operate under a so-called point system. However, there are penalties, including license suspension and revocation, for repeat speeding tickets or other violations that exhibit a pattern of unsafe driving.

Washington's drivers must comply with the rules and regulations of the state's streets, roads, and highways. Information on the laws that govern Washington's drivers and vehicles is available in the state's driver handbook, which you can download free.

Although the state doesn't have a point system for penalizing repeat violators among its motorists, the Washington DOL does outline the repercussions of multiple traffic tickets or other citations. A Washington driver will receive a 30-day license suspension for the following:
Four moving violations during a one-year period
Five moving violations during a two-year period
Some drivers might be able to avoid suspension by attending a DOL-approved driver awareness meeting.

The Washington DOL says that the most common reasons for a license to be suspended, revoked, or canceled are:

Failure to appear in court or pay a traffic ticket
Driving under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicants (DUI)

65 in a 60, you have got to be kidding, that cop probably has nothing better to do. Go to court and fight it, what does the ticket say? did he use any kind of radar equipment? or he paced you with his car etc? You tell the judge you did not think you were going that fast in the first place.