N-400 applied after July'07 and got Interview??

Nimche,

for now you and I share about the same timeline, though you got your FP almost a month earlier. I am assuming FP date + 6 to 7 weeks for the IL to arrive. If that takes longer than 8, I am getting nervous. Still, we can be reasonably sure that our test will be the old one, not that I would really get nervous about that one though.

As per BCIS web site, Sacramento is currently doing June dates, thus for me the whole thing should be done with by Mai.

It would be somewhat helpful, if there was a reference as to how many applications they are truly working on. Somehow I doubt there to be a lot of N-400 in Sacramento, might be different down south. May also be rather seasonal here due to migrant farm workers.

On the happy side, at least we are not stuck in the visa queue or have to deal with changing employers and being on a H1B and all that crap.

I feel sort of good that I am in the same boat with someone here, but what is your timeline (you may want to add it to your signature).
USCIS doesn't do plans ahead because cases are different as well as officers who are working for USCIS so there is almost no way to say when your turn is.
An example: I applied from San Diego to CSC and someone else applied one week earlier than I did to the same SC. I got my FP two months faster than she did. Now does it really matter how many cases they process per day? Sometimes I think if you are not really lucky with this process you may (will) be stuck in it for several years. I don't consider myself very lucky person when it comes to immigration but I may get my IL today.
The point is, USCIS has no basic principals to follow or direction to apply to every single employee to make sure they are getting the job done therefore almost no prediction applies to this. (That is why we put this on the wish list)

I love this website, and I use it often because it is sort of fun for me which calculates time periods. You may be interested in it.

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

Base on this, it has been 7 weeks from my scheduled date for interview. I am thinking to schedule info pas and waste my one day. Any inputs?

I love this website, and I use it often because it is sort of fun for me which calculates time periods. You may be interested in it.

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

Base on this, it has been 7 weeks from my scheduled date for interview. I am thinking to schedule info pas and waste my one day. Any inputs?

In NYC, InfoPass appointments are available as early as 7 A.M. I scheduled mine for 7:30 A.M. on 2/15, so I don't have to take time off work. Depending on how close you live to your DO, you may not have to waste a day at all.

I just scheduled for Feb. 21st for 11:30 A.M. and it is just before my school time and it is two city blocks away from my school. Let see what they will say.

This is what is going to happened over there.

Office: well you came too early; there are a lot of people still waiting which applied 4-5 months earlier than you did. What if you go home and chill?
Nimche: Officer, I have my wife waiting outside of the US and it has been a tough situation for both of us.... lab lab lab....
Office: I totally understand the frustration, but lab lab lab.

And the whole thing is after all the frustration for the security check and make sure you don't have any metal attached to yourself so that little stupid machine is not beeping at you and after they search your a** like your are something.

In NYC, InfoPass appointments are available as early as 7 A.M. I scheduled mine for 7:30 A.M. on 2/15, so I don't have to take time off work. Depending on how close you live to your DO, you may not have to waste a day at all.

Nimche / Vorpal - Although we have different DOs, we all went for FP appointments at about the same time - approximately 7 weeks ago. In terms of getting an interview, are you guys actually expecting to get an IL soon or do you think it could take quite a while?

My DO shows a processing date of June 19, 2007, and this makes it "similar" to many of the other DOs that also list this processing date. However, between June 19, 2007 and July 31, 2007 we know there must have been a huge surge in applications to beat the application fee increase. I don't know for sure, but I am willing to bet that many of those applicants were from New York and Southern California, home to our respective DOs. As such, I just don't know if I am deluding myself in thinking that my IL should arrive some time in the next few weeks. Although we have one report from somebdoy who applied around 7-20-07 at CSC (DO: Los Angeles) already having his interview, I don't want to use only this case to get my hopes up if it really is going to take many more months to get an IL.

What do you guys think? Do you believe that the USCIS will somehow pull it off and get us ILs in the next several weeks, or will we be in this thing for the very long haul, meaning that it really does take 16 months for the entire process?

Also, is it just me or do other people find it suspicious that so many of the DOs are reporting June 19, 2007 as their processing date for N-400 applications? This to me implies a degree of consistency that simply is not evidenced by the apparently haphazrd way in which USCIS appears to be processing cases. For example, we have people in Ohio who applied in November and are essentially through the interview process at this point, while many people in other areas, who applied in May and June 2007, are still waiting for their ILs.

Another thing that worries me is that, at least anectdotally from postings on this board, it seems that there was a "gap" when the USCIS simply stopped processing N-400 applications. If you got your application in by about 7-20-07, then at most SCs and in most cases your check was cashed quickly, you got your NOA and your FPs were taken by the October 2007 timeframe. Those of us who did not meet this timeline, in most cases, did not get FP notices until December 2007. We know the USCIS was backlogged with other application types, but it really does appear as thought they "stopped" processing N-400 applications around 7-25-07 for approximately three months. Just wondering out loud, along with everybody else, how this work stoppage will affect overall processing times.

Sorry for the long post, but I am really frustrated by the way things are moving and the apparent lack of willingness on the part of the USCIS to do anything to speed things up, or at least make them more consistent.

Sorry, all that ranting made me so upset that I forgot to post my timeline. Here it is:

CSC / DO: Santa Ana

N-400 mailed: 8-20-07
PD: 8-21-07
Check cashed: 10-29-07
NOA rec'd: 11-21-07
FP notice rec'd: 12-21-07
FP date: 1-17-08
FP done: 12-21-07 (done as a walk in)
IL: waiting

Case status appears online. They "received" my application on 10-26-07. Santa Ana DO shows N-400 processing date of June 19, 2007.

I just scheduled for Feb. 21st for 11:30 A.M. and it is just before my school time and it is two city blocks away from my school. Let see what they will say.

This is what is going to happened over there.

Office: well you came too early; there are a lot of people still waiting which applied 4-5 months earlier than you did. What if you go home and chill?
Nimche: Officer, I have my wife waiting outside of the US and it has been a tough situation for both of us.... lab lab lab....
Office: I totally understand the frustration, but lab lab lab.

And the whole thing is after all the frustration for the security check and make sure you don't have any metal attached to yourself so that little stupid machine is not beeping at you and after they search your a** like your are something.

I really hope that the IO will tell me whether my name check has cleared or not, instead of giving me a NCSC-style response "we are currently processing June priority dates, so I can't tell you anything right now, please come back when we begin processing September priority dates". Seriously, the USCIS is the most bass-ackwards government agency in existence. I am still trying to wrap my head around why exactly the customer service reps refuse to transfer callers to IOs. Come to think of it, exactly what purpose do customer service reps serve, besides reading the same exact message that the USCIS website displays when I enter my receipt no.?

Ah well, there I go venting again...:D

Sorry, all that ranting made me so upset that I forgot to post my timeline. Here it is:

CSC / DO: Santa Ana

N-400 mailed: 8-20-07
PD: 8-21-07
Check cashed: 10-29-07
NOA rec'd: 11-21-07
FP notice rec'd: 12-21-07
FP date: 1-17-08
FP done: 12-21-07 (done as a walk in)
IL: waiting

Case status appears online. They "received" my application on 10-26-07. Santa Ana DO shows N-400 processing date of June 19, 2007.

I am not sure whether they actually "stopped" processing N-400s during the late July crush, but it sure seems that way. The USCIS actually made a statement that N-400s were receiving the lowest priority, since they had the I-485s to deal with. The date that they supposedly "received" your application is the date your check was deposited for cashing.

I think that the 16-18 month processing timeline is the worst-case scenario. I'm still holding on to hope that I'll complete the process before my wedding this September, which will make my timeline 12 months. If not, hopefully by the end of this year.

I am still trying to wrap my head around why exactly the customer service reps refuse to transfer callers to IOs. Come to think of it, exactly what purpose do customer service reps serve, besides reading the same exact message that the USCIS website displays when I enter my receipt no.?

It's 100% public relations and 0% substance. At best, customer service might serve as a substitute for the website if your application, like mine, was never entered online. But case status online is almost as useless as customer service anyway.

One wonders what would happen if they allocated the budgets for these "services" to hiring more adjudicators. I guess that's just too revolutionary an idea for CIS.

Case update requests are only a percentage of the calls USCIS receives. Their main purpose is to answer general questions relating to forms and how to file applications -- information that is readily available on the USCIS website. Of course, this leaves us who want case specific updates frustrated since they have been instructed not to transfer calls to IOs except in a few instances.

"Your application for naturalization has been rejected on the basis of the fact that your name is Indian, Middle Eastern, Chinese, or Eastern European. Due to the fact that anyone with a name originating in those ethnicities will most likely be stuck in name check for the rest of their natural lives, we no longer accept applications for naturalization from anyone originating in those areas of the world."

This is funny, however personally I think that your country of origin or the bsound of your name has little to do with the delays, you are more likely to find hundreds of smiths, mills's and jones's in the FBI data base rather than Luxmiprasads or Subramaniums. Also after looking at the timeline and the trends, I think the clock actually starts with check cashing when the application is entered into the system. FP and name check are simultaneous processes and the delay is mainly at the DO level, they will not accept any new cases untill they clear whats on hand. You being in NY may be in line with thousands, while here in KY we are far and few in line.

I think the delay in processing is only in big cities like NYC, Washington and maybe LA due to July '07 application load, which in itself set a record. These citites have very large immigrant populations and most applied in July to beat the fee hike hence the queue jam. I think folks in all other cities may be just fine although still slower than last year.

Not true,

my check was cashed very shortly after receipt of the N-400.
Yours took a while.

As I said before, there is zero transparency in this.

This is funny, however personally I think that your country of origin or the bsound of your name has little to do with the delays, you are more likely to find hundreds of smiths, mills's and jones's in the FBI data base rather than Luxmiprasads or Subramaniums. Also after looking at the timeline and the trends, I think the clock actually starts with check cashing when the application is entered into the system. FP and name check are simultaneous processes and the delay is mainly at the DO level, they will not accept any new cases untill they clear whats on hand. You being in NY may be in line with thousands, while here in KY we are far and few in line.

I've been hearing various opinions on name check, and many say that certain ehtnic groups are definitely more likely to be stuck in name check than others. I do, however, agree with your point. The only thing is that I don't think there are too many Smiths or Joneses applying for naturalization.

I also think that the clock starts with check cashing. The priority date is simply a way to start the clock. It can be anything. As far as New York goes, there are 2 separate DOs here (Manhattan and Garden City), so any NYC applicant has an equal chance of being assigned to either one. Also, a while back someone posted that the Manhattan DO alone has 300+ IOs. Before the whole Summer 2007 debacle, many applicants were completing the process within 4-5 months. I still have faith in the NYC DO!

Before the whole Summer 2007 debacle, many applicants were completing the process within 4-5 months. I still have faith in the NYC DO!

Essentially the summer madness has affected the receipting time, once you cross that it should still take usual 3-4 months, with that note I think you should be getting an interview letter Feb/March for an interview in March/April.

Really??

I was born with american name. Do you think that will make my name not stuck? I thought my name will stuck too because is too common in US.
I hope not, I need my citizenship by march.

"Your application for naturalization has been rejected on the basis of the fact that your name is Indian, Middle Eastern, Chinese, or Eastern European. Due to the fact that anyone with a name originating in those ethnicities will most likely be stuck in name check for the rest of their natural lives, we no longer accept applications for naturalization from anyone originating in those areas of the world."

Last edited by a moderator:
Essentially the summer madness has affected the receipting time, once you cross that it should still take usual 3-4 months, with that note I think you should be getting an interview letter Feb/March for an interview in March/April.

Haha, thanks for the kind words! :)

I have an InfoPass appointment a week from today, just to see how my name check is doing. If it's cleared, then I'm definitely going with your prediction!

Ehm How come Sacramento currently doing June dates?
That's so impossible. Like you said I doubt there to be a lot of N-400 in Sacramento. I thought so too. I can't wait until May.

Nimche,

for now you and I share about the same timeline, though you got your FP almost a month earlier. I am assuming FP date + 6 to 7 weeks for the IL to arrive. If that takes longer than 8, I am getting nervous. Still, we can be reasonably sure that our test will be the old one, not that I would really get nervous about that one though.

As per BCIS web site, Sacramento is currently doing June dates, thus for me the whole thing should be done with by Mai.

It would be somewhat helpful, if there was a reference as to how many applications they are truly working on. Somehow I doubt there to be a lot of N-400 in Sacramento, might be different down south. May also be rather seasonal here due to migrant farm workers.

On the happy side, at least we are not stuck in the visa queue or have to deal with changing employers and being on a H1B and all that crap.