• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

can you please point me out to the CP thread? not that easy to figure which one would be the most visited. I tried sorting by reply numbers - none came up as "The CP thread"

I'm now considering AOS vs. CP and giving EU19xxx can decide to go the CP route just to be safe. My question is whether I need to get a police clearance from the US since I lived here last year. I think I only need the one from the country I'm originally from (didn't live for more than 6 months anywhere else) but wanted to double check. Thanks !

YUP, U DON'T NEED POLICE CLEARANCE FROM THE US

can you please point me out to the CP thread? not that easy to figure which one would be the most visited. I tried sorting by reply numbers - none came up as "The CP thread"

You're right - there isn't a definitive CP thread. Last year out of ~40,000 DV GCs awarded, ~38,000 were awarded via CP. So I guess you couldn't really have one CP thread. :)

You could start your own thread, look into "DV 2008 Interview Experiences", and look for threads and forums dealing with your specific consular post. Very useful to learn the specifics of your post as procedures vary significantly. For example, Nigeria vs. Eastern Europe vs. Western Europe. :)

I'm now considering AOS vs. CP and giving EU19xxx can decide to go the CP route just to be safe. My question is whether I need to get a police clearance from the US since I lived here last year. I think I only need the one from the country I'm originally from (didn't live for more than 6 months anywhere else) but wanted to double check. Thanks !

My very personal opinion - your number is rather high and if at all possible you should do CP. For no particular reason your case may go through very fast or very slow. Or it may get stuck at the namecheck stage.

CP is not right for everyone though - depends on your circumstances - think it through / talk with a lawyer.

This is really unfortunate! I don't know why they wouldn't conduct an interview anyway and then wait until the namecheck clears. This is how it worked for many people in the past.

As they explained me they want to condunct an interview only after when the name would have been completely cleared. You know there are always variations in the local offices, particularly in decisions of different officers. One thinks that it is better to set an interview and after wait for the name clearening result, the other thinks that it should be better to wait the name clearing result and after set the interview day. Anyway I am going to visit them one more time on Monday and show them the press-release from February 2007. I hope that that press-release would have some effect on the guys from the local office. Otherwise, I will start working through the senator office to force them to do anything instead of just waiting 180 days. If it does not help, I will just transfer everything to CP on June.

As they explained me they want to condunct an interview only after when the name would have been completely cleared. You know there are always variations in the local offices, particularly in decisions of different officers. One thinks that it is better to set an interview and after wait for the name clearening result, the other thinks that it should be better to wait the name clearing result and after set the interview day.

This is understandable for regular applications, such as family or employment. DV has special circumstances - the deadline. One would expect that the officer in charge would evaluate the circumstances, and adjust the procedure accordingly.

Anyway I am going to visit them one more time on Monday and show them the press-release from February 2007. I hope that that press-release would have some effect on the guys from the local office. Otherwise, I will start working through the senator office to force them to do anything instead of just waiting 180 days. If it does not help, I will just transfer everything to CP on June.

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!

When switching to CP, keep in mind that KCC usually schedules interviews 1.5 months in advance, as I mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
still waiting... biometrics tomorrow... hoping for movement then

Update on my timeline

Submitted AOS in late Dec
Got NOA in Jan
Biometrics in Feb
Currently waiting for interview letter

Went for INFOPASS a few days ago. I didn't have to do anything. Officer was polite and professional. He wasn't aware of DV so he went and checked with his supervisor. I learned that my namecheck had cleared and I just have to wait for my interview. Said if I don't hear anything from them close to the deadline I should come back.

I'll follow-up with them again in late May / early June.

Update on my timeline

Submitted AOS in late Dec
Got NOA in Jan
Biometrics in Feb
Currently waiting for interview letter

Went for INFOPASS a few days ago. I didn't have to do anything. Officer was polite and professional. He wasn't aware of DV so he went and checked with his supervisor. I learned that my namecheck had cleared and I just have to wait for my interview. Said if I don't hear anything from them close to the deadline I should come back.

I'll follow-up with them again in late May / early June.

What is your DO?

My very personal opinion - your number is rather high and if at all possible you should do CP. For no particular reason your case may go through very fast or very slow. Or it may get stuck at the namecheck stage.

CP is not right for everyone though - depends on your circumstances - think it through / talk with a lawyer.

Thanks. I now almost sure I will do the CP. anything specific you know that makes you say "CP is not right for everyone"? flight and going abroad is not a problem for me - I'm on L1 and I won't even need time off as I will just keep working remotely and/or in other location (we've got plenty :) ). I don't expect any issues with ever being illegally in the states or having problems with local police clearance. Other than that - anything else specific you would suggest to consider?

The only thing that might complicate the logistic of my CP a little is that we are expecting our 2d baby in October. But that should only affect travel arrangements as the baby born here in the states doesn't need a green card :)

Examples of situation when CP is not possible, but AOS is still fine.
- You do not have a valid passport
- You have a 3-year or 10-year bar, but have an exception for AOS under 245(i), because an immigrant petition was filed on your behalf by certain deadline
- While initially submitting an electronic form, the person submitting forgot to include any child (stepchild e t.c.) of yours on the form (an unmarried child under 21 who is not a US citizen or a permanent resident)

There might be other examples too.

At last got decision today.
Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Card production ordered.

On May 7, 2008, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

Thanks for all your support.
I shall send a post detail soon.

Thanks. I now almost sure I will do the CP. anything specific you know that makes you say "CP is not right for everyone"? flight and going abroad is not a problem for me - I'm on L1 and I won't even need time off as I will just keep working remotely and/or in other location (we've got plenty :) ). I don't expect any issues with ever being illegally in the states or having problems with local police clearance. Other than that - anything else specific you would suggest to consider?

There are many things that could make AOS a better option that CP. I'll list just a few to get you started. This is not a complete list, so you should think it through - do more research - you may want to talk to an attorney.

1) 3-year, 10-year or permanent bars on entering the US that the consulate might impose. Examples of reasons why this might happen (of course, I'm not saying you did any of this)

• People were in the US illegaly, or worked illegaly. (This usually triggers 3 or 10 year bars.)
  • The consular officer found that people entered into a sham marriage for the purpose of securing an additional green card. Or that people presented forged documents. Or that people intentionally put down false information in an immigration form. This isn't just about the latest application you're submitting - if they find that you did this with any previous application, the result will be the same. (This usually triggers a permanent bar.)
  • Some consular posts, e.g. in some areas in Africa and in the xUSSR, experience a lot of fraud. So they'll be watching for this - they'll examine your case carefully and explore any inconsistencies.
  • My personal opinion - if you never did anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.
As raevsky mentioned, in limited circumstances you could avoid the bar with AOS. But if you suspect you might trigger a bar the forum is not the right place for you - you should hire a good lawyer ASAP. :)

2) You didn't follow fully the DV instructions and made a mistake which would cause your CP to be denied, but likely won't lead to a bar. For example,

• You made a unintentional mistake and put the wrong country of eligibility on your application. (Would likely lead to an AOS denial as well.)
  • You have an unmarried child under 21 who is not a US citizen or PR, and you did not include him in the application. (As raevsky says, may be ok with AOS.)
  • Look again at the instructions and all your paperwork - make sure it's all spotless. :)
Here you are in a good position because you have an L1 visa, which allows dual intent. So even if your CP fails you normally would be able to return on L1. (If for example you had an F1 student visa, they would cancel it regardless of whether CP fails or succeeds.)

3) You get stuck in administrative processing (background check) outside the US. I don't know the details of this, but my impression is that this is usually less frequent and faster with CP than with AOS - do some research in CP threads. Unlike with an AOS namecheck, you're stuck outside the US for a few months.

Like with an AOS namecheck, if it's not completed by Sept 30, your DV application has failed. I am not sure what happens in this case and whether you can come back on L1 - hard to say - you may want to do more research on this point.

4) Personal reasons, such as loss of job, loss of salary, expensive airfare, etc.

It looks like you are in a very good position here, especially if you can transfer and keep working. Keep in mind though that your interview will most likely have to be in your home country or country you last lived in for a long time.

The only thing that might complicate the logistic of my CP a little is that we are expecting our 2d baby in October. But that should only affect travel arrangements as the baby born here in the states doesn't need a green card :)

Congratulations on the baby. :)

Secure a copy of his or her hospital records and a US birth certificate before you leave. Given how overwhelmed USCIS is and all the pressure for immigration reform, there is no right like birthright. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
At last got decision today.
Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Card production ordered.

On May 7, 2008, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

Thanks for all your support.
I shall send a post detail soon.

Awesome - congratulations! We look forward to any details.

Here is an example of an interview report from the "DV2008 Lucky Winners from Nigeria" thread. The bold emphasis is mine. Keep in mind that the consular post in Nigeria seems much stricter than in other parts of the world.

MY INTERVIEW XPERIENCE FOR THE HOUSE
Interview date is 3/10/07.Arrive the embassy at abt.5.10am where I met others both DV,IV,NIV.At abt. 6.35am,we were called to line up and we were checked in one after the other.I was given DV 20 PAPER tag on entering the main sitting room.
At abt.9.45am, I was called by a young Nigerian to window F where I he demanded for and collected my birth cert,inter.pass,waec cert,univ.cert.,med.report and vaccination report,police report,both originals and photostat,afterward he ask me to take my sit and wished me goodluck.
I sat at the main hall 4 over 3 hours b4 we were ordered by a security man to move into the interview room properly.At the interview room,it was really drama I saw. A man was called up to window 7 where he was permanently banned for life from entering the United States for reason tha he presented his sister as his wife.Not quite long,at window 7 again,another casualty happened.A girl,DV winner was disqualified on ground that her place of birth she used to apply 4 the dv reads lagos state while her inter.pass.reads a LGA in Lagos.At window 12,another DV winner was denied visa bcos her place of birth she used to apply reads Nigeria while her inter.pass.shows her LGA as her place of birth.By this time there is big tension in the house as to who will be the next victim.
After waiting 4 another over 2hr.30min,I was then called upon by awhite lady to window 12 for my interview properly and I absorbed the initial tension quickly and walked confidently to her and greeted her and she responded positively and conversation began. She brought my dsp form with mt pass.attached for identification by me.
LADY/ You are here bcos u won the DV lot,but is not a guarantee that u will be given the visa.OK.
ME/ Yes madam.
LADY/ Would u raise up your right hand and swear that whatever u will say here today wiil be the truth?
ME/ I do.
LADY/ She demanded of me finger prints
ME/ Finger prints was taken
LADY/ What is your name
ME/ Name is-----
LADY/ What is your date of birth?
ME/ Stated
LADY/ Where were u born?
ME/ Sapele
LADY/ Dont u have a third name
ME/ No third name
She brought out my dsp form and asked my to sign the oath b4 her.
LADY/ Why did it took you 4 yrs after u finished your secondary to gain admission into the university?
ME/ I was farming with my parents at the village
LADY/ Why did u go to farm
ME/ To raise money to fund my education.
LADY/ Are you married?
ME/ NO,i,m single.
LADY/ Dont u have anybody in mind so that u can include her,bcos after now u may not be opportuned to do that.
ME/ Nobody
LADY/ Which higher instit.do u attend and what course do u study?
ME/ Univ.of Benin,Chemical engineering.
LADY / Mention some of the courses u did in school.
ME/ Engineering maths,petroleum extraction,corrosion engi.project,etc
LADY/ Tell me something abt.petroleum xtraction
ME/ -------------
LADY/ Tell me something abt.corrosion and how to prevent metals from corroding
ME/ -------------
LADY/ What is you project topic?
ME / Asbestos in the Natural Environment,Uses,Effects and Control.
LADY/ What is asbestos?
ME /---------
LADY--------It seems asbestos is carsonogrnic.OK?
ME/ Highly and it can cause cancer.
LADY/ What do u use asbestos for
ME/ -----==------
LADY/ What is the conclusion of your project
ME/ Mild and controlled use of asbestos.
LADY/ What are u doing at the moment?
ME/ I am teaching.
LADY/ What subject do you teach?
ME/ Physics.
LADY/What ages?
ME/ ABOVE 15 YEARS
LADY/ U mean senior secondary
ME/ YES.
LADY/ U suppose to be working in the industry.Why do you choose to teach?
ME/ I do apply for jobs,but they dont give me.
LADY/ She smiled and an unusual silence prevailed.
She turned to the computer and she began to typed.At this moment,I need no body to tell me she is preparing my pick up slip.She brought the pick up slip,my original certs.and gave them to me to come back on 2/11/07 to pick up my visa,and she said CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME TO THE USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.BUT on my way home something happened.I LOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST my handset,but my successfull interview and joy overcomes the pains.

That is my intervie xperience. J cloud,thank u 4 remembering me.Admiral,u have been a gud guy by phoning me occassionally.I,am retrieving my line 08032378860 and will be active by saturday 12noon.e-mail addr.is gabobri76@yahoo.com. I wish all dv members going for thier interview best of luck as JEHOVAH GOD WILL DO IT FOR U JUST AS MINE.AMEN.
CASE NUMBER-----------------2008AF000022XX:D
IST NL RECEIVED--------------APRIL 15 2007
1ST NL SENT TO KCC----------APRIL 27 2007
2ND PACKAGE-----------------NOT YET RECEIVED:confused:
2ND PACKAGE-----------------SENT FROM KCC TO MY E-MAIL:D
INTERVIEW DATE--------------3/10/07:D
MEDICALS---------------------SUBMITTED:D
INTERVIEW--------------------SUUCESSFUL:D
PICK UP DATE-----------------2/11/07:D

l

Hi Dv AOS frens,
I send my Dv Aos application on March 03 and I had my fingreprint on April 05.After that date I am trying to know about my case but when i call USCIS they told that my case is in Lee summit,Missuri in Nation Service centre.I am tired of waiting for interview letter.Is there anything i can do now to know about my case and to make it faster.I would really appriciate for your reply.

Here is an example of an interview report from the "DV2008 Lucky Winners from Nigeria" thread. The bold emphasis is mine. Keep in mind that the consular post in Nigeria seems much stricter than in other parts of the world.

I knew a few folks in school from Africa or developing Asian countries who could tell these horrifying stories about getting visas. You wait on line and watch people get rejected, one after another after another, with barely any discussion. Then it's your turn.

What's interesting about the USCIS is that I hear very, very few stories of people getting rejected. More often it's just interminable delays and getting a green card which says you're the opposite gender or something.

Hi Dv AOS frens,
I send my Dv Aos application on March 03 and I had my fingreprint on April 05.After that date I am trying to know about my case but when i call USCIS they told that my case is in Lee summit,Missuri in Nation Service centre.I am tired of waiting for interview letter.Is there anything i can do now to know about my case and to make it faster.I would really appriciate for your reply.

Well, count yourself lucky because our stuff also arried on 3/3 and we haven't even done biometrics. Did you get your AP or EAD?

Some thoughts:
- Infopass
- Congressman
- Look at the visajourney.com timelines for family based AOS cases at your local office

Dear All:
I have received my welcome notice (only one piece of paper, actually the notice of action document) last week , and my green card tuesday.
I can not believe that I have it in my hands.
thanks to everyone on this forum.
and one more question to people who have received it before, just to make sure, at the category section it says "DV6", is it true?
thanks alot !!!

Dear All:
I have received my welcome notice (only one piece of paper, actually the notice of action document) last week , and my green card tuesday.
and one more question to people who have received it before, just to make sure, at the category section it says "DV6", is it true?
thanks alot !!!

Congrats .....brothers.
Mine also updated yesterday, card ordered, after 21 days of the interview.
Great relief.

Dear All:
thanks alot !!!

if you're the winner, it's dv6, if you're the spouse of the winner it's dv7