• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

Republican Senators Bill to Terminate DV Lottery

04/29/2008: Republican Senators Bill to Terminate DV Lottery Replaced by Immigrant Visas for Advanced Degree Holders

Senator Judd Gregg (NH) introduced a bill "to replace the diversity visa lottery program with a program that issues visas to aliens with an advanced degree." This bill is co-sponsored by Sen. Lamar Alexander (TN). Sen. Elizabeth Dole (NC), Sen. John Sununu (NH), Sen. John Cornyn (TX), and Sen. Orrin Hatch (UT). These Senators are proposing to expand the immigration opportunities for Advanced Degree holder foreign workers in STEM or related fields without increasing the total annual number of immigrant visa under the current immigration system. Interesting legislative bill. For the full text of the bill, click S. 2868.
Part of the statement in introducing this bill co-sponsored by "leading" Senators in the Senate includes the following:
Sen. Gregg stated, “Talent is a nation’s most important resource in today’s information age, and our nation’s immigration policies need to catch up to this economic reality. In addition to increasing the number of H-1B visas and employment-based visas for highly skilled workers, I believe that Congress should realign our immigration programs so they better meet our economic needs, including the well-documented shortage of workers with advanced degrees in the math and sciences. By converting a lottery visa program that has marginal skills requirements into one that is focused on the best and the brightest, we strengthen our competitive advantage, spur economic and job growth here in the United States, and deter employers from sending work overseas where highly skilled talent is located. Our visa lottery programs should not just benefit those who are selected, but should have significant positive ramifications for our nation as a whole. I look forward to working with my colleges on this measure and other immigration proposal to keep America competitive."

Yes, you can. However, I remember a couple of times they recalled the latest visa bulletin and corrected it in a couple of days. I would wait until the end of the week to make sure the numbers are final.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they have the same dates as the original NOAs on them, or more recent dates?

The date that it was mailed was different but it still have thesame date that my application was received over there.
The weird thing about it is that my I-485 is still not coming up on their website but my EAD and AP is but it says that my application was received on April 25th when it was actually received on the March 19.

The date that it was mailed was different but it still have thesame date that my application was received over there.
The weird thing about it is that my I-485 is still not coming up on their website but my EAD and AP is but it says that my application was received on April 25th when it was actually received on the March 19.

That's a bit weird that they regenerated the receipts. I assume it's some systems glitch.

The site seems to give the date of the NOA. It basically fills in fields:

"On [date], we [received|approved|denied|ordered card|received RFE|transferred|...] your case. Your case is at [place]. If we want to talk to you we will call you."

So it just fills in ND because for all of those things except received, it's correct.

We did biometrics and are now awaiting the interview letter. Infopass set for next week to see where we stand. Inshallah the name check will be cleared.

That's a bit weird that they regenerated the receipts. I assume it's some systems glitch.

The site seems to give the date of the NOA. It basically fills in fields:

"On [date], we [received|approved|denied|ordered card|received RFE|transferred|...] your case. Your case is at [place]. If we want to talk to you we will call you."

So it just fills in ND because for all of those things except received, it's correct.

We did biometrics and are now awaiting the interview letter. Infopass set for next week to see where we stand. Inshallah the name check will be cleared.

has ur ead been approved

Hi,
I have a relative who had his GC in 2006 and started working last month. He has no assets now, but his annual income is approximately $60K. Can I use him as my sponsor. Thanks.

yeah, give it about 4-5 days and mail ur application. That was exactly what i did.

Hi Jhonkent

I thought we should send the package to Chicago only AFTER our number is current, but looks like you have mailed it before your number was current. Is it possible to do this? If yes, what is earliest that you can submit the package? My wife's case number becomes current in July, when do you think we should mail the package.

I thought we should send the package to Chicago only AFTER our number is current
You actually have 90 days grace period before that.

My wife's case number becomes current in July, when do you think we should mail the package.
You could mail the package as soon as you know that her number is current on July 1st. This year it was on May 12th. Just wait until the end of the week to make sure the visa bulletin is not recalled and republished with a different number.

Hi all,
I have a relative who had his GC in 2006 and started working last month. He has no assets now, but his annual income is approximately $60K. Can I use him as my sponsor?Thanks.

You actually have 90 days grace period before that.

You could mail the package as soon as you know that her number is current on July 1st. This year it was on May 12th. Just wait until the end of the week to make sure the visa bulletin is not recalled and republished with a different number.

Raevsky,
Thanks for the fast reply. Are sure about the 90 days grace period? In some other posts I have read that people have been disqualified because they have sent their package before their number was current. I am really confused.

My wife would kill if she finds out about this, as I have always told her that we should wait until the number is current, and so we have not done our medical exams yet. By the way, how long is it going to take to get our medicals done?

He has no dependents and his debt (basically student loans that he took) is less than 30K. Is he required to have some minimum amount of money in his account?

Hi, Nazarov !

I'm sorry about your situation. I don't know what i would have done if i received an interview letter that they cancelled later. :(

uscis is not legally responsible to finish the process by sept. 30th. But i know they at least try. Here is a link to one of their documents which lists DV as a reason for expediting the name check:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/ExpediteNameChk022007.pdf

Print it and take it to the local office. Maybe you'll run into somebody that is more receptive. If not, do what Plus07 advice me to do (talk to supervisors, office director, congressman). I have an appointment this Friday and I'm going to follow the steps he suggested: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1900995&postcount=1143

For me, CP sounds better than AOS right now. I'm going to wait for 2-3 more weeks to see if I can get anywhere with the local office people.

With CP, the Sept. 30th deadline is for entering the US to activate the GC process which is really nice because you don't have to wait in your home country for the GC to arrive by mail.

What I was told by one of the KCC phone operators when I was trying to find out when I would have my interview if I decide to switch to CP today is that the consulate where I will have my interview needs to request my file from the local USCIS office and this is scaring me a little. It makes sense for that to happen. It also means that USCIS will immediately abandon my AOS application and I cannot easily go back to AOS (not that I would want to). It also leaves room for other delays :(

Also, the KCC agent told me to check with the consulate to see if they accept medical exams done here.

If I were you, I'd try to make them understand a couple of more times and maybe try to have more authoritative people talk to them (their director, congressman) and then switch to CP.

Hi Fjelltronen,

I went to the local office and showed them the memo which you linked in above message. I did not ask for the surperviser, but the officer said that he needs to discuss this memo with the superviser. The superviser was very polite with me, she said that they will not make a request to expedite the name check simply because my application in the good track. She said that they know about DV deadlines and that if they do not receive anything by the end of July, they would adjudicate the application. The officer added that he understands my concern and asked me do not worry much about all these delays. Finally he said that my application is under control. After such polite conversation, I completely calmed down and returned home in the good mood. Let's see how things will work.

About 90 days. We have had a long discussion here. CIS policy is 90 days, but only if I-485 form was received during the same fiscal year as the DV program in which you participate. All examples mentioned here as denied because of early application in fact violated the same fiscal year rule, or there was a reasonable assumption it was violated. For instance, you number becomes current on October 1st, but you send application on September 29th, and it is received by CIS on September 30th, with is a different fiscal year from October 1st.

That is an important rule, because on midnight between September 30th and October 1st the pipeline switches. Before that ALL applications go into DV-previous-year-pipeline, and do not reach your program (next year program) at all. And after that they ALL go into DV-next-year-pipeline and 90 days rule works.