• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

ruxy

Registered Users (C)
Hi!
I won DV2008, CN 95XX(EU), I'm with a F1 visa in US and I chose to do AOS. At the end of April, I sent the documents to KCC, telling them that I want BCIS. No answer since then (although I got an email that they received my application and it's processed). I have a few questions, maybe someone can help me (I feel that I'm getting crazy until the interview):

1. When should I expect a second letter from KCC?

2. Do you know the official website of the Chicago Center where I can read about the steps that I need to follow, including about the fee that must be paid and everything else?

3. From what I read here, It seems that I have to wait until my cn becomes current, which, if I look at dv2007, will be sometime in January08. Do you think is too late for aos? Do I have time to finish everything until October08?

Thanks a lot!
Ruxy

Hi!
I won DV2008, CN 95XX(EU), I'm with a F1 visa in US and I chose to do AOS. At the end of April, I sent the documents to KCC, telling them that I want BCIS. No answer since then (although I got an email that they received my application and it's processed). I have a few questions, maybe someone can help me (I feel that I'm getting crazy until the interview):

1. When should I expect a second letter from KCC?

2. Do you know the official website of the Chicago Center where I can read about the steps that I need to follow, including about the fee that must be paid and everything else?

3. From what I read here, It seems that I have to wait until my cn becomes current, which, if I look at dv2007, will be sometime in January08. Do you think is too late for aos? Do I have time to finish everything until October08?

Thanks a lot!
Ruxy

Relax dude. don't be stressed out. U are doing everything just like u should. Am an f-1 student too, won dv 2008, sent my forms back to KCC in March and never heard from them. i called them yersterday to know wussup and i was told they already got my forms and that i indicated to do AOS which was correct. She said it might take a while before the write back to me but i shouldn't be worried about that.

If you're number becomes available Jan, 2008, u do have plenty of time to process your AOS if everything goes well. I assume it would.

For the forms, u need to visit USCIS webpage (www.uscis.gov)for forms and fees. Fees will be increased by June/july 31st. can't remember. You'll need the I-485 and finger print forms and the EAD/ Advance parole forms if you might need it.
Try and read the threads on this forum and u'll get lots of info about AOS.
Take care buddy

Thanks a lot for the replay, Johnkent!! What CN do you have? Can you keep me posted about the evolution of your case? I'll try to do the same...
Take care,
Ruxy

regarding AOS

hey,

i got the similar problem.

i just got mail from KCC saying that i am winner of DV 2008.
I am currently in U.S. with my spouse. Both of us are in F1 visa status since 1 year.

Now i am confused?
WHat should i do?Do i directly go for USCIS I485 for AOS or do i first need to fill the forms i received and mail it to DS-230 (part I and Part II) and Ds-122 to the KCC kentuky.

can anyone please suggest me anything....

i would be very very grateful.....

Today we received a second notice from KCC telling us that our case does not belong to them anymore and we should contact ISCIS from now on.
I have a couple of questions now, maybe someone can help me:
1. They said 'you must submit the notification letter to the USCIS office nearest your place of residence' but they don't specify which one. Do I chose? There are 2 from what I know, both at 2-3 hours to drive from our place.
2. They said 'you must follow the instructions on the attached sheet...' , but there is only one piece of paper in that envelope :( Did you get two?
That's it for now, thanks

ps: singh2008: you need to fill the forms you received, both the DS-230 (part I and Part II) and Ds-122 and mail them to KCC telling them that you want AoS (there is a question like this on the forms); then you'll receive a letter from them acknowledging this information (like I did today--look at my signature). Anyway, keep me updated with the evolution of your case. What CN do you have?

Hi Ruxy

I'm in the same situation (I thought they forgot to send me the 'attached info' because I only have one page as well).

I really need to get the green card before my J1 expires at the end of January 2008 and i dont want to get out of the country...you think doing it by AOS is faster than CP?

thanks

Hi guys , im on an F-1 visa too , just received my notification letter, my case number i think is too high , but I will play my chances .
case number : AF00069XXX .
picked on the 25 of may , and received on the 29 of May
what do you guys think , should I go with AOS or CP?
thx

Anorti, it depends on your CN and this is because we can apply only when our number becomes current, mine is 97XX so I hope for January. What CN do you have? Look at the visa bulletin http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1770.html in the previous years and you'll see when a number like yours became current and then you can estimate your time until September 30, 2008.
Rob, if you look here http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3236.html , for Africa, the current number is 27,000. So, in your case I will not do AoS, but please ask around, some people might have a different opinion.

Will AOS affect my OPT

hey,

thanks guys for your replies...
I am getting the packet from my home and will send the forms to KCC.

I have one question again? I am graduating in August 2007 and I just applied for EAD(Optional practical training) beginning from Oct 1 2007. Will the process of AOS and applying for EAD conflict with each other? Will I be having any problem to work after my graduation??

Does anyone know ?? please reply...

Ruxy,

thank you so much for your answer.
My CN is pretty low 9xx so I checked the page you told me and if I understood that correctly it is likely that my CN is available by October.

In that case, I guess I have to wait until my number is current to send the documents to USCIS right? any idea of how long does the process take after you contact USCIS?

thanks!!

yes, that is correct, lucky you :p
no idea about how long it takes, I'm still waiting, maybe someone will let me know also.

Thank you

hi guys,

My CN is 14XXX. Is this High or low? I called KCC regarding AOS yesturday. Those guys. They seem to know nothing. Damm....
they just replied that if you want to move to AOS just contact your USCIS office ..That's all....

And one thing can anyone explain how do you look the CN in the visa bulletin? I could not find any...

thanks in advance

singh2008, look here http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3169.html
it seems that your CN (if it's for Europe, you didn't specify this) will be current in April --at least it was like this for DV2007
BarbaraLamb: thanks a lot, very interesting link. Can you please send me or post here the cover letter that you sent to USCIS? Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ruxy,

MY CN is AS00014XXX. What should you do when your number is included in the visa bulletin? Apply to USCIS or something else? what should we do?

thanks in advance.

second notice

Hi ruxy
I am surprised you received the second letter for AOS from KCC so soon. Is it because you paid the fee already?

Thanks

Barbara,

thank you so much for all the info. Wow, now I'm considering to change to CP...my current visa expires in January 2008 and I would like to have the green card before that.
The only problem, as I said I got a waiver for the 2 year home residency requirement...can I still do the CP or this issue must be dealt with by USCIS?

thanks!

question

my number is 2008EU00011xxx. I have already received the second notification from the KCC that I need to contact the local USCIS office. My questions are the following:

1. What do you think with my number is it better to do AOS or CP?
2. If i have already notified the KCC that I would adjust my status in USA. Can I for example reconsider for CP sometimes in future?
3. My visa F-1 expired year ago; however, I have a valid I-20. Do you think I will have any problem with the adjustment of status?

Thank you in advance.

I got an email from KCC..

Ruxy,
I just got an email from KCC. They say that not all of the candidates are eligible for AOS. They asked me to contact the Local USCIS office first then only proceed. And, I see that it is not easy to get an appointment at USCIS.And the nearest one is around 4 hrs drive from my place.

Do you have any idea what are the criterias for eligiblity for applying for AOS that KCC is reffering to?

Please reply...

Thanks in advance