• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

I-485 Issues

I don't get it as to why USCIS will not take AOS forms from folks here in October considering that it takes quite a few months to get the forms send from KCC to them and also the background check. i would think that taking in those applications on time would atleast relieve the burden on them considering the amount of time some of us might have by the time our numbers get current. What am trying to say is that they should accept the forms, approve them and then issue visas as soon as it become available. Waiting till the last minute does not make sense at all. Thats my Opinion.

Standard treatment

I don't get it as to why USCIS will not take AOS forms from folks here in October considering that it takes quite a few months to get the forms send from KCC to them and also the background check. i would think that taking in those applications on time would atleast relieve the burden on them considering the amount of time some of us might have by the time our numbers get current. What am trying to say is that they should accept the forms, approve them and then issue visas as soon as it become available. Waiting till the last minute does not make sense at all. Thats my Opinion.
USCIS seems to treat all AOS/485 applications the same, regardless of origin [family sponsored/employment based/DV etc]. This is why guys from India with approved I-140's [employment based petitions] are waiting for 2+ years for their numbers to become current before they can submit their I-485's.

Does anyone have an idea about when is the best time to pay the $375 to Dept of State? Can I do it anytime until my cn becomes current or it's better to wait? Actually, I plan to pay it next month, but I don't know anymore if this a good idea since it can get mixed with the DV2007 applications :confused:
Thanks!

Does anyone have an idea about when is the best time to pay the $375 to Dept of State? Can I do it anytime until my cn becomes current or it's better to wait? Actually, I plan to pay it next month, but I don't know anymore if this a good idea since it can get mixed with the DV2007 applications :confused:
Thanks!

It doesn't really matter when to pay, but make sure you do that before you file for AOS and include a copy of receipt which one you will get after payment.

I scheduled my medical exam for October. Who else is doing AoS for 2008? Let's discuss here about it.

AOS for 2008 - my plans

I am planning to pay end of August and do the medical during September as a walk-in.
right now I am checking the options for the medical. so many doctors in my area, each one charge different price ... :confused:

One issue I am not sure about is the list of document I need to collect.
I started to gather school diploma (high school, university).
What else do I need?

This is what I'll include in the package. Maybe there is more, I need to read about it:

-Copy of Notification Letter from Kentucky Consular Center with Barcode
-Copy of letter form Kentucky Consular Center acknowledging our intention to apply for Adjustment of Status
-Copy of Receipt of Payment to Department of State
-Check to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (for I-485 and Biometrics)
-Two Photographs in envelope
-Form I-485
-Form G-325A
-Form I-693

Copies of:
-First page of passport
-Visa page of passport
-I-94 evidence of current valid status
-I-20
-Birth Certificate (with legal translation)
-Marriage certificate (with legal translation)
-Education Documents with legal translation as evidence of eligibility as a DV winner

-Form I-134 Affidavit of Support with supporting documents.
-Copy of Employment Letter from the university
-Bank statement (with transaction activity in the last months).
-Letter of verification of status from the university

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick replay :)

What are forms I-20 and G-325?

Regarding the legal translations - how is it done in the US (I never had to do it. we submitted original forms and US embassy took them, there was no need to translate).

Also - how much do expect to pay for the medical exam - for adult and child?

It seems that with the new increase in fees the whole deal will (4 people) will cost around $5.5-6K ... rather expensive....

I20 is a form that you get from the University so the American Embassy from your native country can issue a F1 visa for you.
About the other forms you can read here http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/adjustmentofstatus/application.html
or here http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD
I'll have my medicals in October, so I don't know for sure. My doctor said that it depends on what immunizations you have already done (I have all of them, so I expect somewhere around $400 for both of us)

I'm planning on doing my medical next week. 200 $ is the average price I found if you have all the vaccinations necessary. Did anybody pay the DV 2008 fee yet? I'm also trying to get my papers together, and I wasn't sure if I can do the translations of the official documents myself, or it has to be done by a certified translator? EU45xx

You can do the translations by yourself but after that, you need a notary public and someone who speaks your language to certify that your translation is accurate. If you are a grad student, then you don't have to pay anything, the university provides notary public services for free.

Paid Dv2008 fee

I'm planning on doing my medical next week. 200 $ is the average price I found if you have all the vaccinations necessary. Did anybody pay the DV 2008 fee yet? I'm also trying to get my papers together, and I wasn't sure if I can do the translations of the official documents myself, or it has to be done by a certified translator? EU45xx

We have our medicals on Tuesday. $208 each (and 6 of us :( )

I paid my fee last week and received a reciept yesterday from KCC.

Once we have our medicals back, we are all set for sending out i485's for processing on October 1st.

Thanks, Ruxy.:)
I'm also doing my AOS in Florida, Palm Beach office. How about you orlandovillas? My # will probably be current in Nov., so lets keep each other posted. Good luck!

Thanks, Ruxy.:)
I'm also doing my AOS in Florida, Palm Beach office. How about you orlandovillas? My # will probably be current in Nov., so lets keep each other posted. Good luck!

Our medicals are in Kissimmee, Florida. Got a stack of forms to fill in * 6. Picked them up yesterday to fill in in advance to save time on the day of the medical.

I'll let you know the gory details on Tuesday evening once I've recovered from the blood test, numerous injections and rigerous strip search :eek:

Our medicals are in Kissimmee, Florida. Got a stack of forms to fill in * 6. Picked them up yesterday to fill in in advance to save time on the day of the medical.

I'll let you know the gory details on Tuesday evening once I've recovered from the blood test, numerous injections and rigerous strip search :eek:

Don't forget that the TB skin test is required. Just an x-ray is not enough.

Is anybody sending the tax returns together with the package, or saving them for the interview? Are they a MUST?

Hi.

I'm also a DV 08 winner and am planning to do AOS.

I have a question. Did the price of AOS process go up?

I was checking out the uscis website and it said the I485 is $930 + $80.

That's more than twice as much as previous year's!

that would hurt my wallet...

the tax returns

Do not send any original documents, only copies!!! Better to get tax transcripts from IRS, because they are official documents of your residence. For details search forum or gOOGLE.
Later on interview bring original ones and yet another copies.
Is anybody sending the tax returns together with the package, or saving them for the interview? Are they a MUST?

Last edited by a moderator:
How soon can we apply for AOS?

With our low case number, we know our case will be valid this October.

The bulletin that comes out middle of August (only a week away) should state that our case number is valid for October.

Does this mean I can send the package to Chicago mid Aug once the bulletin is released, or do we still have to wait until the 1st October?

I know for later months in the year it is OK to send in once the bulletin says the numbers are current, but in those cases the 1st Oct has already passed, whereas in our case it will be earlier.

Otherwise I'll call USCIS to ask them once the bulletin has been released.