• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

Hello all, I went today to my interview and our green card got approved !! They stamped our passport and told us that our "card" should arrive by mail in 2 weeks

Also the USICS officer closed my wife old case.

I can not believe that we got the GC in 36 days.

Hopefully more people will read this thread and use it as reference, this is by far the best immigration forum on the NET.

Regards to all

Congratulations JAZB for your GC approval. Wish you the best. You made a new record in getting GC, WOW only in 36 days!!!. And we are happy for you.

Congratulations, I am so happy for you guys. Are you planing to go home in the near future?

winner2008, thank you for expressing you happiness for us. We are happy for you and your family too. We wish, we could have a trip back home for at least a few days now but we are in the middle of school’s semester and it is not possible. We may arrange it later.
Wish you the best,

welcome back. was ur passport stamped at POE as mine was not when i get back from the UK a month ago.

Yes, my passport was stamped in NY! but keep in mind that I had a I94 card before and I had a new passport (blank without any visas).
Also, before we left, my husband went to the immigration office in JFK airport to register since he had to register as an immigrant in the local office post 911. Anytime he left the country since then, he had to register at that office so that they know his whereabouts. Every male from certain countries have to do so, i didn't. He will NEVER have to do it again. That was the last time and the officers there were so nice and congratulated us for finally getting our GC! :D

Hello all, I went today to my interview and our green card got approved !! They stamped our passport and told us that our "card" should arrive by mail in 2 weeks

Also the USICS officer closed my wife old case.

I can not believe that we got the GC in 36 days.

Hopefully more people will read this thread and use it as reference, this is by far the best immigration forum on the NET.

Regards to all

JAZ

CONGRATULATIONS! This is excellent news! I'm very happy for all of us, honestly. What a great year :D

Welcome back Maconcita,
Hope, you enjoyed your trip and thank you. We were missing you in the forum for a while. I am happy for everyone including myself that we all got our GCs.

THIS IS AWESOME! I think everyone got it this year from this forum, right? It might be because they're under pressure since they have not reached the 50K limit for a long time so they had to do something about it.
Either way, I'm really happy for all of us. Badluck, come on man, change your username :)
I wish the very best of luck to all 2009 winners, patience pays off!!!!! :D

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the I-134 Affidavit support and I-864.
Any help?
Which one do my sponsor have to submit?
I'm J1 holder.
Thanks.

winner2008, thank you for expressing you happiness for us. We are happy for you and your family too. We wish, we could have a trip back home for at least a few days now but we are in the middle of school’s semester and it is not possible. We may arrange it later.
Wish you the best,

First Congratulatinos for your GC,
Second, I see that you have submitted I-134 as affidavit support NOT I-864, why?

First Congratulatinos for your GC,
Second, I see that you have submitted I-134 as affidavit support NOT I-864, why?

I-134 is the right form of affidavit of support for DV based AOS. You may read my previous posts and use my experience regarding this matter including the following link that I have important advice for you guys.
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=1958601#post1958601
In addition, I-134 is not the only document to show that you are financially stable in the U.S.
Generally, financial evidence is not limited to I-134 only and you may submit other documents (such as employment letter if you have a job in U.S., proof of your assets in the U.S. etc.). But, I personally recommend that applicants without a job in the U.S. file I-134 too because some adjudicators (like mine) look for money or assets equal to 5 times of %125 of poverty line for 5 years. Here is the U.S. government poverty line guide webpage.
http://aspe.hhs.gov/POVERTY/08poverty.shtml
for example: this is the calculation for 1 person in household, in case the person is living in the 48 Contiguous States and D.C. and for Alaska and Hawaii are higher.
$10,400 X 1.25 X 5=$65,000
But, you do not need to show this much assets if you submit I-134 or you have a job that pays you enough money to live based on the same poverty calculation.
Remember, I-134 is valid for 3 years but for other financial proof (i.e. employment letter or assets) your adjudicator may ask you to show the current (latest) proof by the time of interview such as these types of questions:
Are you currently employed?
You may find this type of tough question in my interview post which I think was one of toughest interview.
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=1949555#post1949555

Last edited by a moderator:
What papers do we need to change our Social Security card?

Hello DV 2008 AOS only winners!
how is everyone doing? I hope everyone is well and living a new life as a resident :D
My husband and I are trying to change our SS cards to get rid of "work authorization required...". What kind of papers do we need to take with us?
since I started a new job, I can't really take a day off yet, so can my husband go and do it for me as well, or do I have to go with him?
Any answers are appreciated!
Thanks guys :p

Maconcita, you dont need to fill anything beside bringing the actual GC and SSN (and passport just in case). And no, your husband cannot do it for you since you have to sign the letter (receipt) that they will print out for you.

Maconcita, you dont need to fill anything beside bringing the actual GC and SSN (and passport just in case). And no, your husband cannot do it for you since you have to sign the letter (receipt) that they will print out for you.

Thank you so much for responding Glistenpearls! I guess I'll have to take a few hours to go there to do it!
How is everything with you? I hope all is well for you and for everyone else in this forum! :D

hi,

just a quick question for DV2008 folks.
Is the receipt number on NoA and the number on the backside of cashed check same?
In my case the last digit is different? Have you guys verified this before?

Thanks

hi,

just a quick question for DV2008 folks.
Is the receipt number on NoA and the number on the backside of cashed check same?
In my case the last digit is different? Have you guys verified this before?

Thanks

It was different for me as well. What's on NOA is the correct one.

Illegal employment and aos

Well, i had a friend who adjusted from F1 to permanent resident after he won dv lottery. Anyways, he had been working illegally prior to that but USCIS never found out during the adjustment process and this was 2 years ago.
Anyways, yersterday he got a letter from USCIS stating that the record shows that he had been working illegally prior to his adjustment of staus and that he is to pay a fine of $495.
Well, it is kinda weird that they dug up his file 2 years later for absolutely no reason. This is just FYI for some of you folks.

Tax benifits for DV winners who got NEW valid SS # s

Tax benifits for DV winners who got NEW valid SS # s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

I posted a seperate thread here
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=294092

under the heading

'Tax benifits for DV winners who got NEW valid SS # s'

It may be helpful tip to some of you to get some extra money from 'Uncle Sam' for the troubles you had to go thru doing AoS !!

Chk it out and post your replies/concerns/comments on that thread.

Dfdo/