• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

Congrats .....brothers.
Mine also updated yesterday, card ordered, after 21 days of the interview.
Great relief.

congrulations, you will receive it in a few days.
one more surprising thing for me is; the front part of the card is not green, the back part is green.
I was assuming a card which is totally green :)

i got another bunch of NOA's from USCIS again last nite. i guess it means someone is taking a look at my application. LOL

I have a question, in the I485 form, PART 1, last row,
it says "CURRENT USCIS STATUS".
Does it mean my visa type, and I have to write J1 or just write student?
Thanks.

expires on i wrote D/S
I do not know whether I-20 is similar to DS-2019, but my I-94 also has a D/S for expiration date, however, DS-2019 has an exact date of expiration. Usually it is 4 years for the first time, then 1 to 2 years when you renew it. So you think D/S is OK, no need in exact date?

Yes, it makes sense to state the exact date by providing both dates, if I-94 mentiones D/S. The D/S from I-94 and an exact date from I-20 or DS-2019 or a similar form.

Yes, it makes sense to state the exact date by providing both dates, if I-94 mentiones D/S. The D/S from I-94 and an exact date from I-20 or DS-2019 or a similar form.

IF UR I-94 SAYS D/S, THATS WHAT U WRITE FOR STATUS EXPIRATION. AN I-20 DOSEN'T SAY WHEN U STATUS EXPIRES. IT JUST MEANS THAT U EITHER NEED TO EXTEND/TRANSPER TO ANOTHER COLLEGE OR YOU CAN DECIDE TO GO BACK HOME IF YOU DON'T WANT TO FURTHER UR EDUCATION.

I-20 frequently states the date. See http://students.missouri.edu/~ams/images/I-20-sample.jpg or http://oregonstate.edu/international/atosu/sites/default/files/I-20_sample_0.jpg for example. It is not your future status expiration date if you transfer. But if you do not transfer, it is basically what it is. For AOS purposes it is important you do not fall out of status.

U do not have to maintain ur F-1 status if u have a pending AOS. U only have to be in status at the time of applying for AOS

Is there any logic to explain how long FBI name checks take? I heard something about common names taking longer than uncommon names? Could there be a correlation with gender, sex or national origin? Or is it all just random?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any logic to explain how long FBI name checks take? I heard something about common names taking longer than uncommon names? Could there be a correlation with gender, sex or national origin? Or is it all just random?

If your name is similar to anyone on the terror list, they'll go ahead and compair date of births. if there's any similiarity, they will further the investigation. its a lil bit complicated. But the thing you need to know is that most names submitted for background check clear in 48-72 hrs. very few gets stuck.

it varies case to case, I got mine after two weeks.

Thanks. anyways, i'll try to get my biometric done this wk. give it about 2 wks and if i don't get an interview letter, i'll write a very formal letter addressed to the director of my local USCIS office and try to explain to him all about the DV lottery process, sep 30th deadline and also ask for my case to be expedited. i don't think it would hurt as all he coul say is either Yes or NO.

Johnkent said:
...But the thing you need to know is that most names submitted for background check clear in 48-72 hrs. very few gets stuck.

tell me about it in a 3 months :(

Only 68% get cleared in 48 hours. And about 10% require "addtional" checking aka will not be resolved in one month. Guys, odds to win DV lottery even less than get stuck in namecheck...

About 1 year ago FBI name check backlog was more than 300000 people

See http://triceiver.com/FBI_Name_Check.aspx for example.

And I don't think they look through "terror list" only. They look for any matches in FBI records of person name or names similar to person names.

See http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=229911 and namecheck related documents attached to the post.