• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

I sent the DSP-122, Barcode sheet and a cover letter mentioning that I want to go for AOS, I didn't send the DS-230, I was confirmed from them that I don't need to send the DS-230 forms.
Feel free ask me anything you need to know.
Good luck

But when i called, I was told to send every thing, DSP-122 and DS-230.
Also, sent the bar code sheet but no cover letter because I wrote "BCIS" in the DSP-122, which means I will do AOS.

Paulcase, I see from your signature that you send DSP-122 to KCC. Did you include the barcode sheet, a cover letter, or anything else? I am preparing an envelope for KCC, and would appreciate your advice.

How is your infopass went?

Mine went good.
I was told that I should not send I485, ....etc, until my case# becomes current.
Also, the lady was aware of the Sep 30 dead line and they should process it before that date.
She was really helpful.

She also advised me to send the fees for every member of the family in a separate check, so I have to write 4 checks for all of us.

Also, the kids fees are $600, since they are under 14, with no biometric for them.

ALU4E, did you call KCC or CIS?
How was your yesterday's infopass appointment to CIS?
Which forms did they tell you to submit and where?
Specifically about DS-230 and DSP-122 forms?
I was told that I should not send I485, ....etc, until my case# becomes current.
Did you mention to them the contradiction to the CIS policy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

Thanks to masematn's interview with USCIS and the experience of those who have done the DV process before, we all know that any one who wants to do AOS have to send back to KCC only the DSP-122 form.

However, my question for the DV08 winners who did AOS is:

Did any of you also send the DS-230 form to KCC? If so, did it have any negative effect during the AOS process?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to masematn's interview with USCIS and the experience of those who have done the DV process before, we all know that any one who wants to do AOS have to send back to KCC only the DSP-122 form.
Actually, the officer did not instruct masematn to send DSP-122, even though CIS officers frequently did that before.

So, it looks like they also did not instruct you to submit any of those forms (DSP-122 or DS-230) to KCC. Lack of instructions means an instruction not to submit the forms, unless they forgot to give you some instructions
Even that, it looks like we have contradicting answers from different CIS officers.

I didn't discuss with CIS about the 1st step. KCC didn't give any instructions not to send DS-230. This is the following e-mail I sent to KCC and they replied. I am giving you detail correspondence

My E-mail :
I contacted with the Local USCIS office and they said that I am eligible for the adjustment of status. They gave me some forms and advised me to submit them after October 1, 2007. I am now preparing the forms to submit in October.

I have two (2) questions:
1. Do I need to send the DSP122 and DS230 forms to Kentucky Consular Center (KCC)?
2. When should I send the check of $375.00 to U.S. Department of State, Diversity Visa Program, before October 1, 2007 or after October 1, 2007?

Their Reply :
Thank you for your inquiry.

If the CIS determines that you are eligible to adjust status you will be required to pay a non-refundable diversity-processing fee of $375.00 per person directly to the Department of State. Information regarding where this fee should be paid is included in your winning notification packet. This fee is assessed to cover cost incurred by the Department of State in running the lottery selection process and is separate from any fees you will need to pay the CIS as part of your adjustment application. Failure to pay this fee may result in the loss of your diversity visa. (Please mail a money order for the diversity-processing fees to the address given below.) Also, please forward the completed DSP-122 form back to KCC. This will allow the next instruction letter to be processed to you.

U.S. Department of State
Diversity Visa Program
P.O. Box 371989
Pittsburgh, PA 15262-0001

We do request that you complete and return the DSP-122 to the Kentucky Consular Center so that we may update your file. Question 4 of this form states: “Name of United States Consular Office where you would like to process your application”. When adjusting status with the Citizenship and Immigration Service, please list the address of your local CIS office.

Phone: (606) 526 7500
Fax: (606) 526 7501
E-mail: KCCDV@state.gov
www.travel.state.gov

This is a standard email they used to send.
I sent them an email asking about something, they replied with the same one that you got and didn't answer my question.

ALU4E, did you call KCC or CIS?
How was your yesterday's infopass appointment to CIS?
Which forms did they tell you to submit and where?
Specifically about DS-230 and DSP-122 forms?
Did you mention to them the contradiction to the CIS policy?

At CIS, I was told to follow KCC instructions.
When I called KCC 4 weeks ago, I was told to send every thing, DSP122 and DS-230.

You can read my earlier posting about the CIS infopass.

Thank you so much, plus07 !! Infopass is currently unavailable, but as soon as it comes back up, I'll schedule an appointment and try to talk to them again. It was difficult to talk to them, especially when they don't see any problems with the way my case is being process. I'll follow your advice and ask them to check with their supervisor. :) I'm really hoping to get them to understand the urgency of the situation.

Thanks a million ! :)

Do you know whether, besides the Sept. 30th deadline, I should be worried about the 55,000 visa getting over (in the last months on the 2008 fiscal year) ? Can I really wait until Sept. to get the gc ?

Hi,

I have the same problem. My number became current on January and I passed biometrics on March and received EAD card on April. Once I had even received the interview notification, which was cancelled latter. I went several times to the local office and everytime I heard the same phrase "your name is not cleared". Today even the officer said more that I am lucky that 180 days will be over in the middle of August so I have a chance to have an interview on September. I asked him whether he knows about the due data September 30th, he said "Certainly I know". When I asked "Do you know that if I do not get the green card before September 30th, I won't be eligible for the green card". He said something similar to the following "you are not the first and you are not the last" that means there is a chance that I would not get anything. After this conversation I cursed the day when I decided to do AOS instead of CP. I called KCC and they kindly informed me that I have an option to send them email with the permission to transfer my case to the consular and they would set an interview in my home country. Probably, this is only the possible solution to avoid any dependency from these guys from the local office. I do not blame them, they are processing thousands of applications per year and they probably have dozens visitors per day with the same problem as mine. It looks like I draw the bad epsilon from the distribution so I need to adjust my strategy accordingly.

Hi,

I have the same problem. My number became current on January and I passed biometrics on March and received EAD card on April. Once I had even received the interview notification, which was cancelled latter. I went several times to the local office and everytime I heard the same phrase "your name is not cleared". Today even the officer said more that I am lucky that 180 days will be over in the middle of August so I have a chance to have an interview on September. I asked him whether he knows about the due data September 30th, he said "Certainly I know". When I asked "Do you know that if I do not get the green card before September 30th, I won't be eligible for the green card". He said something similar to the following "you are not the first and you are not the last" that means there is a chance that I would not get anything. After this conversation I cursed the day when I decided to do AOS instead of CP. I called KCC and they kindly informed me that I have an option to send them email with the permission to transfer my case to the consular and they would set an interview in my home country. Probably, this is only the possible solution to avoid any dependency from these guys from the local office. I do not blame them, they are processing thousands of applications per year and they probably have dozens visitors per day with the same problem as mine. It looks like I draw the bad epsilon from the distribution so I need to adjust my strategy accordingly.
Wat country are u from? IS ur last name common or something?

Hi,

I'd have KCC schedule the interview. You can always change your mind again and have it sent to the USCIS. No reason to tell the USCIS that you are doing this.

Wat country are u from? IS ur last name common or something?

I am from the Central Asia, one of the previous republic of the Soviet Union. I asked about my wife's status, the officer said that her name had been cleared already. My second name was common in the USSR, from my second name it is difficult to find out my nationality or religion.

When I inquired with KCC back in May of last year I was told that I could send all forms back to them even though I elected to do AOS and wrote "BCIS" in the space they had asked. The KCC rep mentioned that you can send the DS230 back so that they will have it in their file in case I decide to do consular processing later. That way all I will need to do is to notify them by email/postal mail about the switch. So far we have had not negative effect although awating interview date.

Hi guys,

However, my question for the DV08 winners who did AOS is:

Did any of you also send the DS-230 form to KCC? If so, did it have any negative effect during the AOS process?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

Hi, Nazarov !

I'm sorry about your situation. I don't know what i would have done if i received an interview letter that they cancelled later. :(

uscis is not legally responsible to finish the process by sept. 30th. But i know they at least try. Here is a link to one of their documents which lists DV as a reason for expediting the name check:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/ExpediteNameChk022007.pdf

Print it and take it to the local office. Maybe you'll run into somebody that is more receptive. If not, do what Plus07 advice me to do (talk to supervisors, office director, congressman). I have an appointment this Friday and I'm going to follow the steps he suggested: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1900995&postcount=1143

For me, CP sounds better than AOS right now. I'm going to wait for 2-3 more weeks to see if I can get anywhere with the local office people.

With CP, the Sept. 30th deadline is for entering the US to activate the GC process which is really nice because you don't have to wait in your home country for the GC to arrive by mail.

What I was told by one of the KCC phone operators when I was trying to find out when I would have my interview if I decide to switch to CP today is that the consulate where I will have my interview needs to request my file from the local USCIS office and this is scaring me a little. It makes sense for that to happen. It also means that USCIS will immediately abandon my AOS application and I cannot easily go back to AOS (not that I would want to). It also leaves room for other delays :(

Also, the KCC agent told me to check with the consulate to see if they accept medical exams done here.

If I were you, I'd try to make them understand a couple of more times and maybe try to have more authoritative people talk to them (their director, congressman) and then switch to CP.

I'm sorry about your situation. I don't know what i would have done if i received an interview letter that they cancelled later. :(

This is really unfortunate! I don't know why they wouldn't conduct an interview anyway and then wait until the namecheck clears. This is how it worked for many people in the past.

uscis is not legally responsible to finish the process by sept. 30th. But i know they at least try. Here is a link to one of their documents which lists DV as a reason for expediting the name check:

Some people have been successful by filing emergency lawsuits against them in September. Some people sued but failed. I would not count on that.

For me, CP sounds better than AOS right now. I'm going to wait for 2-3 more weeks to see if I can get anywhere with the local office people.

Note that KCC usually schedules interviews for the month after next, roughly at the same time as the bulletin comes out. So in mid-May they would be scheduling July interviews. If they have filled up all the slots at the embassy for July when you contact them, they would probably schedule you for August, etc.

Also note that there are background checks at the embassy too, and sometimes people have to wait a long time for those too (aka "administrative processing"). My really vague impression is that those usually happen less frequently and in more restricted circumstances, but I really don't know - check the CP thread!

There are lots of different issues with CP - check the CP thread - people there know more about CP than the people in the AOS thread. :)

What I was told by one of the KCC phone operators when I was trying to find out when I would have my interview if I decide to switch to CP today is that the consulate where I will have my interview needs to request my file from the local USCIS office and this is scaring me a little. It makes sense for that to happen. It also means that USCIS will immediately abandon my AOS application and I cannot easily go back to AOS (not that I would want to). It also leaves room for other delays :(

I agree - my guess is that if you contact KCC and ask for CP, at some point USCIS will receive a request from them or the embassy, and your AOS is likely to be considered abandoned.

check the CP thread!

There are lots of different issues with CP - check the CP thread - people there know more about CP than the people in the AOS thread. :)

can you please point me out to the CP thread? not that easy to figure which one would be the most visited. I tried sorting by reply numbers - none came up as "The CP thread"

I'm now considering AOS vs. CP and giving EU19xxx can decide to go the CP route just to be safe. My question is whether I need to get a police clearance from the US since I lived here last year. I think I only need the one from the country I'm originally from (didn't live for more than 6 months anywhere else) but wanted to double check. Thanks !