• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008--AOS only

thanks MikeM!!!

i'm wishing you luck with name check to be clear soon..

Thank you Van
Do you know exact date when you namecheck been submitted?
I'm interested how many days it actually required to clear you name.

I've lost hope that FBI will clear my namecheck anytime soon, the only think I'm counting at is 180 days rule. Looks like officers at my local office pretty much aware of it, today they recommend me again wait till mid of summer, then they should be able to adjudicate my case without namecheck results.

I wish I did a CP. F... my number was current at Dec 2007 and I'm still waiting.

Be alerted there is nothing called “FBI routine check”

Dear friends, I need your advices and help or if any one is in the same situation as mine.
I am a winner of DV-2008 (Diversity lottery winner) and applied to do the AOS. Every thing was all right till now. I received the notice of action and my biometric is taken by my local office around 2 weeks back.
Now, I received a call from an FBI agent asking me for a meeting within this week!!! The agent said, there is nothing to worry about and it is a routine check. I got very worried and asked what the purpose is? The agent said, generally, it is based on where you come from!! And I said I never heard about it. The agent said I know!
Firstly, I thought it may be a scam and asked for the agent’s identity. The person gave me cell phone number, their office number, name and other information for me to confirm.
I found those information on FBI site. So, the agent should be real not a scam. I also asked the agent if they can send me a letter by mail for this purpose. The agent did not answer this question and repeated that I should call their FBI office and confirm the identity. Again, the agent insisted that there is nothing to worry otherwise they would never give me a week to arrange a time to meet each other. And, I said I am not worried because I even did not get a traffic ticket in U.S.!! And, the agent said I know!

By the way I am a student from Iran and, never been involved in any problems in all my entire life. Also, I am shocked how come I ‘ve never been asked for this “routine check” during my few years stay in U.S. and how it pops-up after I applied for AOS.

Anyway, I am going to consult my lawyer. And, I thought you guys may have some opinion that may help the situation.

Thanks

Dear friends,
Thanks for sharing your experiences and opinion regarding “FBI routine check” that was my initial message. I also quote my first message here for you to read the story again.
Now, the important part!
I am sharing this with you because it may happen to every one of you, not only iranians. I was lucky and my lawyer helped me to avoid such a trouble.
Read the rest of story now.
My lawyer was so shocked by hearing the story about the FBI agent call and said this is the first time that she hear that. She start confirming the agent identity and calling him to get more information on my behalf and in the meantime got more information from other lawyers nationwide. We all know that lawyers have certain resources. It ended-up that there is no program or procedure called “Routine check” in FBI for nobody. Then my lawyer called the agent and asked straight forward that 1- “ Is this meeting connected with my client’s application pending with USCIS?” and the agent answered “NO” (it looks that he had to answer). 2-“ Are you connected with any type of case that is related to my client in any way?” and the agent answered ” NO” again. And then she said to him that “my client doesn’t have to attent this meeting , isnt it?” and the agent confirmed that I do not have to attend this meeting. And, she cancelled the metting finally. I realized now why the agent refused to send me an official letter asking for such a meeting.
Then my lawyer called and asked me that “ did the agent used the word ,”Routin check”, or ,”check”, when he called me and I said “Yes”. I asked “ what is the wrong now and what should I do?” then she explained what she asked the agent and she said that I should not attend such a meeting because the FBI agent may get some information (even may look general or very normal information to us) and use against me because we do not know what type of criteria and categorization the FBI is looking for. I said, I did noting wrong in my entire life to be afraid of. But, she insisted that I must not attend the meeting.
She gurantee that there is no harm for me or my background by cancelling this meeting and I trust her .
So guys please be aware and do not simply trust anybody just because they work for a government organizaion becauses some people try to walk on the edge of the LAW.
I am not a good translator but we have a proverb that says “somebody got an instruction (or order) to go and get a hat. The person returned and he got a human head with a hat on top of it”.
And, remember that every one has a certain right in U.S.A. regardless of their immigration status and the LAW is supporting that. So, find out your rights and how to claim your rights before you do anything.
By the way I think I should change my ID to goodluck2 instead of badluck2 and thank GOD every day
Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
for how many years green card is valid?

Your permanent resident status does not have an expiration date - that's why it's called permanent. :)

The plastic card itself will have some expiration date, I think it's 10 years now. You can tell us once you receive it - I'm still waiting for my interview. :)

You're not going to loose your PR status if you don't renew your card in time. But you should definitely renew it punctually, or you may face extra fees, fines, and theoretically even court charges. And it makes your life easier in terms of quickly proving your status to various govt. agencies.

If you're planning to apply for citizenship in 5 years, then the expiration date is not an issue at all.

for how many years green card is valid?

I had interview on the 17th April, the officer told me after the interview, "everything looks alright, you will receive the green card in 4-6 weeks, one more envelope to receive from department of state, if you want to apply for citizenship after 5 years, you can, otherwise you can renew it after 10 years."

I have been waiting since then, no update on the USCIS website, only the date date was changed on the 24th April without any content change.

Any idea about the type of envelope/document to receive from the department of state? how long it may take to receive them? I called the USCIS toll free number last week, the immigration officer advised me wait till the 6th week and then call back, all I am doing is waiting............

I had interview on the 17th April, the officer told me after the interview, "everything looks alright, you will receive the green card in 4-6 weeks, one more envelope to receive from department of state, if you want to apply for citizenship after 5 years, you can, otherwise you can renew it after 10 years."

They forgot to order your DV case file from the KCC. Call KCC and see if/when it was sent.

They forgot to order your DV case file from the KCC. Call KCC and see if/when it was sent.

I called to KCC last week, I was informed that my file is still there, it was not asked for to send there. If they don't ask, how can I initiate?

Do the local office always ask for this file for everybody?

I called to KCC last week, I was informed that my file is still there, it was not asked for to send there. If they don't ask, how can I initiate?

I think the USCIS has to send them a fax for the file to be sent.

They are supposed to pull the file but who knows if people get approved without it. It has the original lottery application you filled out in 2006 (with the photo) + all the forms you sent KCC.

Yes, in my case I called KCC and learned that USCIS had requested my file and it was sent over in February. (Currently waiting for my interview.)

Schedule an INFOPASS and tell USCIS that their request to KCC got lost on the way and ask them to send a repeated request ASAP.

The first-line officer may not know the details of DV - in this case ask him to consult his supervisor. Emphasize that there are special procedures for DV, and be polite and professional throughout.

Don't say something like "USCIS forgot to send the request". The officer may become defensive. And you don't know for a fact whether USCIS forgot, or it got lost on the way, etc, etc.

Yes, in my case I called KCC and learned that USCIS had requested my file and it was sent over in February. (Currently waiting for my interview.)

Schedule an INFOPASS and tell USCIS that their request to KCC got lost on the way and ask them to send a repeated request ASAP.

The first-line officer may not know the details of DV - in this case ask him to consult his supervisor. Emphasize that there are special procedures for DV, and be polite and professional throughout.

Don't say something like "USCIS forgot to send the request". The officer may become defensive. And you don't know for a fact whether USCIS forgot, or it got lost on the way, etc, etc.

I called today to KCC, the file was sent on the 2nd May. They got a delayed request.

Paulcase, I see from your signature that you send DSP-122 to KCC. Did you include the barcode sheet, a cover letter, or anything else? I am preparing an envelope for KCC, and would appreciate your advice.

I sent the DSP-122, Barcode sheet and a cover letter mentioning that I want to go for AOS, I didn't send the DS-230, I was confirmed from them that I don't need to send the DS-230 forms.
Feel free ask me anything you need to know.
Good luck

paulcase, have you discussed with CIS possible consequences of your actually sending DS-230 forms to KCC instead of following an instruction not to do that?

paulcase, have you discussed with CIS possible consequences of your actually sending DS-230 forms to KCC instead of following an instruction not to do that?

I didn't discuss anything related to DS-230 with CIS, that part is with KCC, but if you have any confusion you can send DS-230 too to KCC, either should be fine.

So, did you get instructions not to send DS-230 from KCC?
And you did not contact CIS about the first step at all?
Whom did you get the instruction to send DSP-122 to KCC from?

So, did you get instructions not to send DS-230 from KCC?
And you did not contact CIS about the first step at all?
Whom did you get the instruction to send DSP-122 to KCC from?

I didn't discuss with CIS about the 1st step. KCC didn't give any instructions not to send DS-230. This is the following e-mail I sent to KCC and they replied. I am giving you detail correspondence

My E-mail :
I contacted with the Local USCIS office and they said that I am eligible for the adjustment of status. They gave me some forms and advised me to submit them after October 1, 2007. I am now preparing the forms to submit in October.

I have two (2) questions:
1. Do I need to send the DSP122 and DS230 forms to Kentucky Consular Center (KCC)?
2. When should I send the check of $375.00 to U.S. Department of State, Diversity Visa Program, before October 1, 2007 or after October 1, 2007?

Their Reply :
Thank you for your inquiry.

If the CIS determines that you are eligible to adjust status you will be required to pay a non-refundable diversity-processing fee of $375.00 per person directly to the Department of State. Information regarding where this fee should be paid is included in your winning notification packet. This fee is assessed to cover cost incurred by the Department of State in running the lottery selection process and is separate from any fees you will need to pay the CIS as part of your adjustment application. Failure to pay this fee may result in the loss of your diversity visa. (Please mail a money order for the diversity-processing fees to the address given below.) Also, please forward the completed DSP-122 form back to KCC. This will allow the next instruction letter to be processed to you.

U.S. Department of State
Diversity Visa Program
P.O. Box 371989
Pittsburgh, PA 15262-0001

We do request that you complete and return the DSP-122 to the Kentucky Consular Center so that we may update your file. Question 4 of this form states: “Name of United States Consular Office where you would like to process your application”. When adjusting status with the Citizenship and Immigration Service, please list the address of your local CIS office.

Phone: (606) 526 7500
Fax: (606) 526 7501
E-mail: KCCDV@state.gov
www.travel.state.gov

They [Local USCIS office] gave me some forms and advised me to submit them after October 1, 2007. I am now preparing the forms to submit in October
Which forms did they [USCIS] give you and ask to submit? Specifically:
What about DSP-122?
What about DS-230?
What about I-485?

Where did they [USCIS] ask you to submit the forms to?
to KCC?
to CIS?

Which forms did they [USCIS] give you and ask to submit? Specifically:
What about DSP-122?
What about DS-230?
What about I-485?

CIS gave me the AOS package forms that include I-485, I-693, I-864, I-131, I-765 , none of DSP or DS-230. DSP or DS-230 were sent from KCC in the 1st letter, CIS doesn't have anything to do with these forms.

Where did they [USCIS] ask you to submit the forms to?
to KCC?
to CIS?[/QUOTE]

To Chicago address where I-485 (AOS) package is to be sent.

Thanks
CIS doesn't have anything to do with these forms
That is not really a correct statement. CIS (not KCC) has the authority to define what to send and where if you proceed with AOS. So, it looks like they also did not instruct you to submit any of those forms (DSP-122 or DS-230) to KCC. Lack of instructions means an instruction not to submit the forms, unless they forgot to give you some instructions. Did they instruct you to send a letter to KCC confirming your choice of AOS vs CP? Did you mention to them [to USCIS] you were going to send anything to KCC?
At what chronological moment in the timeline did you get the forms from USCIS?