• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Looking in more detail at the required doc list in the interview letter, it looks like some of the items have been crossed or circled depending what is needed.
In this is list there is:
  1. A new Verification of Employment letter (company, job title, salary): there was already one in my AOS package and I am on L1, so technically I can't be there without being on the same job that I started when I arrived in the US.

2. Since I am in NY, what's the rule of thumb for the minimum to show in a bank account?
    Do savings accounts abroad work? I have financial statements but not translated.

3. Not sure if crossed or circled, like a G-325A.
    Should I still bring that form completed?

1. What’s to stop someone from being out of a job between when the AOS package was submitted and when the interview takes place? My suggestion is to plan on getting an updated verification letter, closer to your interview date, rather than trying to show how unreasonable the request is.

2. The most important thing is your annual income being above the applicable poverty guideline level - there’s no rule of thumb for the minimum amount expected in a bank account.

3. Form G-325A is no longer in use.

Your package is not lost. I suggested following up with USCIS if there’s still no acceptance notification after 30 dates of its stated delivery date. I already know nothing will show up in the system if you call now which you have just confirmed. The acceptance notification gets issued when the package has been entered into the system so the call center obviously wouldn’t find something that’s yet to go into the database.

I honestly don’t know why some of you bother to seek my opinion only to ignore it when my response isn’t in line with what you had hoped and end up doing things your way way at the end of the day. It’s a bloody waste of everyone’s time!

Thank you Mom! I agree with you, nothing will show up in the system until my package gets entered in the database. Honestly i wasn't planning to call and I never meant to waste your time. I just saw someone said that they called USCIS and pressed 1,2,2,2 and talked to them, and something inside me pushed me to try to call while i am driving back from work.

Okay I don’t know what you should do next, you need to make a judgment call on what to do. I also know the way the agents respond as I’ve equally dealt with them dozens of times in the past in addition to reading about other people’s reports too. I’ve never read of anyone getting exactly the same response on numerous calls, obviously my experience is different from yours.

Ok, I will contact them again then. Thanks mom for your response. It is difficult not to be stressed in this situation and I know pretty much everyone here is going through this. I wanted to let you know that I very much appreciate your help and all the work you do here. This forum is pretty much one of the only places I can get the information about AOS. Thank you!

1. .... I am on L1, so technically I can't be there without being on the same job that I started when I arrived in the US.....
...and in an ideal world no one who enters the US ever violates their visa terms or goes out of status, but ...

Hi Mom. My interview date is in end of July.
I am in wierd situation
I applied for green card February and got NOA.
I was on f1 Visa at the time.
Then my asylum case got granted in march.
What I did was contacted my school and they said I am no longer f1 if my asylum has granted.
So I got EAD card. Take restrictions from my SSN.
And renew my driver license all with asylum granted card.
I used my EAD card to continue working since my opt was end on April.
Now I got worried that the officer may say I am no longer i485 pending since I used my asylum granted EAD instead of i485 EAD and deny me.

1. Would that be possible that I will no longer consider i485 pending because I have another status other than f now at the time of interview?
I want to hire a lawyer to come with me to interview.

2. Would that make my interview more complicated?

Also I have a class B condition in my medical exam that I have asked around and they told me they may deny me under public charge because of my illness.
Also. My asylum lawyer mentioned this illness in my file and indicated if I go back to Iran and don't have proper help I may not be able to go on and my life would be ended. Which was true and helpful for my asylum buy now I think would make my i485 harder to me to prove that I am fine under proper medication.
I have a job with amazing insurance and 70K a year salary. My boyfriend (US citizen) also has signed i134 for me and he has a very good salary higher than me. I have letter from my doctor that says I am capable of living a good life and my illness hasn't stop me or slow me so far.

3. Is there anything else I can do to make sure I will not be denied because of my illness?

4. Would bringing a lawyer help me in that case as well? Maybe they can help me and defend me.

I send my application two months in advance (current April send in February) based on what spreadsheet said. We don't have infopass in case my application get denied based in two months in advance.

5. Should I remind the interviewer that it was acceptable to send application two months in advance in interview out of no where in case he may not know and reject me because of that?

I had two traffic ticket but I didn't mention my i485. I don't have the tickets. I paid one of them $120 on line and the judge waived the other one. But no point on my driver license.

6. Should I bring a new i485 with new signiture and give them at the first of interview or fix the problem in my old i485? How should I explain?

My boyfriend i134 was not completed as I saw in the old form we have sent to uscis he forgot to check one of the question. Also I forgot to send uscis his stock and bank statement and I read on the form that we should have sent them.

7. Again should he sign a new form with all materials and is it acceptable to just give the new form to the officer with supporting material or I should wait for him to ask from me?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
A separate letter will probably show up for him in the next couple of days. Nonetheless, attend the interview together
My husband hasn't got his IL yet. My questions are:

1. Wouldn't there be a problem at the entrance? What should I say if they refuse to let my husband enter FO?
2. How common is getting a single interview letter?
3. Can I call them and ask about it?

1. Wouldn't there be a problem at the entrance? What should I say if they refuse to let my husband enter FO?

When is your interview date?

Hi Mom. My interview date is in end of July.
I am in wierd situation
I applied for green card February and got NOA.
I was on f1 Visa at the time.
Then my asylum case got granted in march.
What I did was contacted my school and they said I am no longer f1 if my asylum has granted.
So I got EAD card. Take restrictions from my SSN.
And renew my driver license all with asylum granted card.
I used my EAD card to continue working since my opt was end on April.
Now I got worried that the officer may say I am no longer i485 pending since I used my asylum granted EAD instead of i485 EAD and deny me.

1. Would that be possible that I will no longer consider i485 pending because I have another status other than f now at the time of interview?
I want to hire a lawyer to come with me to interview.

2. Would that make my interview more complicated?

Also I have a class B condition in my medical exam that I have asked around and they told me they may deny me under public charge because of my illness.
Also. My asylum lawyer mentioned this illness in my file and indicated if I go back to Iran and don't have proper help I may not be able to go on and my life would be ended. Which was true and helpful for my asylum buy now I think would make my i485 harder to me to prove that I am fine under proper medication.
I have a job with amazing insurance and 70K a year salary. My boyfriend (US citizen) also has signed i134 for me and he has a very good salary higher than me. I have letter from my doctor that says I am capable of living a good life and my illness hasn't stop me or slow me so far.

3. Is there anything else I can do to make sure I will not be denied because of my illness?

4. Would bringing a lawyer help me in that case as well? Maybe they can help me and defend me.

I send my application two months in advance (current April send in February) based on what spreadsheet said. We don't have infopass in case my application get denied based in two months in advance.

5. Should I remind the interviewer that it was acceptable to send application two months in advance in interview out of no where in case he may not know and reject me because of that?

I had two traffic ticket but I didn't mention my i485. I don't have the tickets. I paid one of them $120 on line and the judge waived the other one. But no point on my driver license.

6. Should I bring a new i485 with new signiture and give them at the first of interview or fix the problem in my old i485? How should I explain?

My boyfriend i134 was not completed as I saw in the old form we have sent to uscis he forgot to check one of the question. Also I forgot to send uscis his stock and bank statement and I read on the form that we should have sent them.

7. Again should he sign a new form with all materials and is it acceptable to just give the new form to the officer with supporting material or I should wait for him to ask from me?

Thanks in advance.

1. You have a new status (asylee) with your granted asylum, your status is not adjustment pending considering USCIS has granted your asylum petition. However, your current status not being “adjustment pending” does not mean you don’t having a valid pending I-485 petition. “Adjustment pending” is a term used in referring to someone with a pending AOS petition whose valid status has expired and does not have any not yet one.

2. You can hire a lawyer to attend your interview if doing so will put your mind at rest.

3. See 2 above.

4. See 2 above.

5. Don’t preempt the IO on what he/she knows or doesn’t know, don’t provide unsolicited information. However, be prepared to show a printout of this (point out the Visa Availability section) should your IO show indication early filing will be an issues.

6. No need for a new I-485, however mention the citations once you get to that section (when the IO starts going through the yes/no questions). Your IO will update your form in their system.

7. Stocks, bonds, asset information not required if listed income (evidenced by the accompanying IRS transcripts) meets the applicable poverty guideline level. However nothing wrong with having an updated I-134 on hand.

07/02/2019

So there’s still time for his IL to show up. Exercise some patience.

Your husband should plan on attending your interview together with you (with all of his documents) even if a separate letter doesn’t show up for him. Let them know at the entrance that you applied together. If they make an issue of his name not being on the IL, feign ignorance and tell them you assumed as your derivative he’s required to attend your interview with you.

I feel you.
I am thinking about the same, however I have no clue why I would have stuck in background check. Whatever.
We need to have a little more patience !

@Tommasi80: I agree, let's keep positive plus follow Mom's advice. It is certainly hard to keep positive while waiting, but we've got Mom's experience here to help us if things drift too long. The waiting is certainly stressful, but I can see others who have been waiting longer than us.

Let's hang in there another two+ weeks and then ask for advice how to proceed, if the ILs are not through by then. We'll be about three months (well, a bit under 3 months) to the deadline by then. I haven't looked yet into what would be involved with requesting an Infopass, hopefully we will not need to (as we'll have the IL!). I did notice how to request a service request online (egov.uscis.gov/e-request/Intro.do), but again have not looked into this yet as I'm hoping we won't need to.

Last edited:
Hi,

Does anyone know of anyone with personal experience filing for an adjustment of status for their DV lotto without filing a DS 260 form? I'm getting conflicting opinions from attorneys and want to better understand the consequences and potential risks of skipping the DS 260. Has anyone skipped the DS 260 when filing for an adjustment of status and been fine?

Thanks

Hi,

Does anyone know of anyone with personal experience filing for an adjustment of status for their DV lotto without filing a DS 260 form? I'm getting conflicting opinions from attorneys and want to better understand the consequences and potential risks of skipping the DS 260. Has anyone skipped the DS 260 when filing for an adjustment of status and been fine?

Thanks

Yes there are DV based AOSers who successfully completed the AOS process without submitting the DS260 form. Are you a 2019 or 2020 selectee? If 2019, what stage of the process are you at?

Hi Mom thanks for your reply. I'm DV2020 and haven't taken any steps yet. I'm current in USA on a work permit and I am trying to decide between AOS and Consular.

1. You have a new status (asylee) with your granted asylum, your status is not adjustment pending considering USCIS has granted your asylum petition. However, your current status not being “adjustment pending” does not mean you don’t having a valid pending I-485 petition. “Adjustment pending” is a term used in referring to someone with a pending AOS petition whose valid status has expired and does not have any not yet one.

2. You can hire a lawyer to attend your interview if doing so will put your mind at rest.

3. See 2 above.

4. See 2 above.

5. Don’t preempt the IO on what he/she knows or doesn’t know, don’t provide unsolicited information. However, be prepared to show a printout of this (point out the Visa Availability section) should your IO show indication early filing will be an issues.

6. No need for a new I-485, however mention the citations once you get to that section (when the IO starts going through the yes/no questions). Your IO will update your form in their system.

7. Stocks, bonds, asset information not required if listed income (evidenced by the accompanying IRS transcripts) meets the applicable poverty guideline level. However nothing wrong with having an updated I-134 on hand.
Thank you for your respond.
So technically I can bring a alwyer and uscis will let me to bring a lawyer without telling them in advance or send any form?
If I just hire a lawyer to come with me to the interview, will someone in uscis ask me to some kind of form or agreement before entering the interview?

So technically I can bring a alwyer and uscis will let me to bring a lawyer without telling them in advance or send any form?
If I just hire a lawyer to come with me to the interview, will someone in uscis ask me to some kind of form or agreement before entering the interview?
When you go for an interview and once you are in the waiting area, usually there is a person who will collect your interview appointment letter and he is going to ask you if you are represented by a lawyer. In my case i said no. But in yours I think they will give you or your lawyer a form to fill out.
Also once you talk to lawyer, they know better what form it is and the procedure.

You don’t need to fill out any form ahead of time, show up with your lawyer (if you plan on hiring one) and inform your IO you have your lawyer with you when they come to get you. Plus if you’re hiring a lawyer, the lawyer should already know what the process is anyway. If the lawyer doesn’t know what this process is, then maybe you may want to reconsider hiring this person.

When you go for an interview and once you are in the waiting area, usually there is a person who will collect your interview appointment letter and he is going to ask you if you are represented by a lawyer. In my case i said no. But in yours I think they will give you or your lawyer a form to fill out.
Also once you talk to lawyer, they know better what form it is and the procedure.

Actually they don’t always ask if one is represented by a lawyer, and they’re not required to do so. Your IO merely used their initiative in asking.

Hi Mom,
I called Tier2 last week & had them to request service request for biometric appointment letter since it has been more than a month. Today i called them again & they couldn't find request in their system so they requested it again and gave me ref no. I requested to be transferred to Tier 2 officer. They will call me back in few hours. Would you recommend that I ask for info pass as well? Would that expedite the issue (biometric letter appointment) ?
Thanks