• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Hi maila,

Here is my take on the subject and some answers
I could think of.

Do you all guys think Asia is gonna move further that 28700?
A. Most likely, yes. But nobody can know for sure.

Anyone in this forum has experience in "FRESNO, CA" office?
A. I don't know any from Fresno.

Form I-485. 1. In part 2: Do I pick option "b"--My spouse applied for adjustment of status?
A.You should mark b. / But primary applicant marks h. and writes Diversity Visa (2010) Winner.

Form G-325: This form is submitted in connection with:
A. Mark "Status as permanent resident"?

Affidavit of Support (I-134):
A. You may not need I-134 depending on your income.
Despite this, not to lose time you shouldn't go to the interview without one.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegrams/telegrams_4437.html

When we send our package, do we need to write two separate cover letters?
A. You should have two DV files and separate them with a rubber band.
Send them together. Should have two cover letters. Also two separate checks
for each applicant.

Agree with capeolive.

Hi Friends,

May be it is time I do some lawyer bashing myself.
My experience I am about to write and jokes don't
apply to all lawyers. Before I start I should mention
that "all lawyers are innocent until proven guilty".

When I won the DV Lottery last year since my case was
rather complicated I wanted to do the AOS with a lawyer.
I talked to several lawyers. Before I started my rounds
I educated myself about the DV Process. My immigration
history goes way back. What happened with lawyers was
most of them told me that I was not eligible, some of them
told me that I was eligible and only one of them was able
to answer some of my questions. All of them were happy
to charge a consultation fee. So, if I had listened to lawyers
I would never have gotten my green card.

I would finish with some jokes on "some" of the lawyers.
I am just posting them for freedom of speech. It doesn't
necessarily mean that I agree with the jokes.

* Lawyer's creed: A man is innocent until proven broke.

* What do lawyers and sperm have in common? One in
3,000,000 has a chance of becoming a human being.

* If you see a lawyer on a bicycle, why should you never
swerve to hit him? It might be your bicycle.

* It was so cold last winter ... (How cold was it?) ... that
I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

* You're trapped in a room with a tiger, a rattlesnake
and a lawyer. You have a gun with two bullets.
What should you do? Shoot the lawyer. Twice.

Hi capeolive,

lol............great jokes.
I think they are very popular on this forum :D.

Hi maila,

Here is my take on the subject and some answers
I could think of.

Do you all guys think Asia is gonna move further that 28700?
A. Most likely, yes. But nobody can know for sure.

Anyone in this forum has experience in "FRESNO, CA" office?
A. I don't know any from Fresno.

Form I-485. 1. In part 2: Do I pick option "b"--My spouse applied for adjustment of status?
A.You should mark b. / But primary applicant marks h. and writes Diversity Visa (2010) Winner.

Form G-325: This form is submitted in connection with:
A. Mark "Status as permanent resident"?

Affidavit of Support (I-134):
A. You may not need I-134 depending on your income.
Despite this, not to lose time you shouldn't go to the interview without one.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegrams/telegrams_4437.html

When we send our package, do we need to write two separate cover letters?
A. You should have two DV files and separate them with a rubber band.
Send them together. Should have two cover letters. Also two separate checks
for each applicant.

Thanks Capeolive, NuvF,Nokira.

I will repeat last question again: For the affidavit of support, do we need permanent resident/ Citizen or even in other status like H1B can do that?

Now, keeping my fingers crossed for our number becoming current.

I will repeat last question again: For the affidavit of support, do we need permanent resident/ Citizen or even in other status like H1B can do that?

Unfortunately, it has to be at least a green card holder, it cannot be just anybody, like H1B, or a student who has a lot of money.

Hi maila,

Sponsor has to be a US citizen or permanent resident.

Always read the instructions and double check what you do
just to make sure before doing anything.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=fe3647a55773d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

Hi Norkira,

Yes, you are holding two records this year:

1. The shortest process.
2. Card without an interview.

We all have to be thankful but I think you should do some extra thanking.

By the way you should register your color, I don't want anybody using it.
Every time I come to the forum, when I see the color, I know it's you...

Didn't realize mine took the shortest time....I feel so blessed, especially since I didn't expect it until late June.
Thanks capeolive for doing this. You're amazing :)

Hi Norkira,

Yes, you are holding two records this year:

1. The shortest process.
2. Card without an interview.

We all have to be thankful but I think you should do some extra thanking.

By the way you should register your color, I don't want anybody using it.
Every time I come to the forum, when I see the color, I know it's you...

Well since I'm that special, I have to make sure I stand out somehow, LOL :)

Also, this helps me keep track of the last posts I wrote/read...so I know where to pick up next time I visit the site ;)

Hi maila,

Sponsor has to be a US citizen or permanent resident.

Again, per my 'understanding' it need not always be citizens or PRs.
If you check the form itself it has provisions for one with i-94 & temporary visa (H1b, F1 etc) to sign it.
And this is most widely used by h1b s (mostly from India) to give as a supporting material when they want to 'sponsor' their parents and other relatives to visit them on visitor visas.
Also it is the form used in K visa sponsoring.

However, this form is one of the most ridiculous docs USCIS has, which by itself has NO legal merit nor legally enforceable !! (their own field manuals says this !)
Its just a piece of paper in their arsenal to scare off or use as a scare tactic to fend off LAW ABIDING LEGAL visa seekers.

Anyone who is 'eligible' to sign it per the provisions of the form can sign it.
This form is a scare tactic to discourage people 'sponsoring' others who would eventually overstay and be illegal. 'cos due to that form its easy to find out connections and deny any more visas sponsored by the same signee.

PS:

Chk this too for help in filling it.
http://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/affidavit-of-support-form-134-tips.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, per my 'understanding' it need not always be citizens or PRs.
If you check the form itself it has provisions for one with i-94 & temporary visa (H1b, F1 etc) to sign it.
And this is most widely used by h1b s (mostly from India) to give as a supporting material when they want to 'sponsor' their parents and other relatives to visit them on visitor visas.

Also, this form is one of the most ridiculous docs USCIS has, which by itself has NO legal merit nor legally enforceable !! (their own field manuals says this !)
Its just a piece of paper in their arsenal to scare off or use as a scare tactic to fend off LAW ABIDING LEGAL visa seekers.

Anyone who is 'eligible' to sign it per the provisions of the form can sign it.
This form is a scare tactic to discourage people 'sponsoring' others who would eventually overstay and be illegal. 'cos due to that form its easy to find out connections and deny any more visas sponsored by the same signee.

Thank you NuvF. I wish they make our life little bit easier as we are already under tremendous amount of stress.

Hello maila,

Have you decided for CP or AOS yet? The clock is ticking. I suggest that you make your decision. If you decide for CP you should be making the switch with KCC now; if you decide for AOS you should be getting ready to file your petition as soon as you see your case number in the next visa bulletin.

Either way, best of luck!

I think the same maila.. U have to decide coz u only have coulée of weeks b4 the next visa bulletin. We r all praying for u. But u have to b the one to decide whass best for u. I also had better chance with cp but I did aos coz that was my decision now it's ur time
Hello maila,

Have you decided for CP or AOS yet? The clock is ticking. I suggest that you make your decision. If you decide for CP you should be making the switch with KCC now; if you decide for AOS you should be getting ready to file your petition as soon as you see your case number in the next visa bulletin.

Either way, best of luck!

Anyway guys, one last question about translated documents...

I finally had my hubby's birth certificate made, for some reason it is called "birth registration certificate" officially "registered" in 2008 (yeah tell me about it)...this document is in my native language so it was translated into English in one of the government offices and starts with..."it is hereby certified blah blah..." and bears the seal of a notary public saying that "the translation copy is true and verified" with his notary license no. on it. I wanted to stick with this translation and send copies of both the documents. Do you think I still need to get a document saying: The translator is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate....per USCIS?

Anyway guys, one last question about translated documents...

I finally had my hubby's birth certificate made, for some reason it is called "birth registration certificate" officially "registered" in 2008 (yeah tell me about it)...this document is in my native language so it was translated into English in one of the government offices and starts with..."it is hereby certified blah blah..." and bears the seal of a notary public saying that "the translation copy is true and verified" with his notary license no. on it. I wanted to stick with this translation and send copies of both the documents. Do you think I still need to get a document saying: The translator is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate....per USCIS?

I only send a copy of the translated document, both sides (the stamp, too), and that was it. I saved the original translated document for the interview.

Hello, guys!!! I’ve started to fill out the I-485 and I have some questions:
1. Part 1. Is The Middle Name Equals to Father's Name ?
2. Part 1. Just one more time please: I am a student (F-1) and have never worked in U.S.; I assume that I don’t have A#. Is it correct?
3. Part 3. Were you inspected by a U.S. Immigration Officer?
4. Should I submit a copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa? The instructions for I-485 say, “If you have obtained a nonimmigrant visa from US Embassy or consulate abroad within the LAST YEAR, submit a photocopy of the pages of your passport containing the visa”. I personally, obtained this visa 4 years ago, so do I have to submit the copy of this page of my passport or not?
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

I only send a copy of the translated document, both sides (the stamp, too), and that was it. I saved the original translated document for the interview.

OK...so I shouldn't lose my sanity over getting "the translator is competent to translate and the translation is accurate..." document, I hope USCIS won't drill me on this. Sometimes USCIS has the most ridiculous requirements...

Thanks