• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Hello Izzy120,

I am not sure about this but I guess that the better way to find it out is calling KCC and see what they have to say. If your friend has a high number, I would not risk it though and I would go and have the Consular Interview in his home country with his wife. He might be able to coordinate his studies for 2010-2011, he still has one year...

Thanks i2009, yes, it seems like going back and doing CP together seems to be the best way to go...I will suggest he call KCC and find out about his options. Thanks again.

Hi Izzy120,
I had my documents translated by
official translator from my country.
It had at the bottom note:
"I hereby certify.....blah, blah...."
Her seal........
And that's it.....and everything was fine.....

Thats great to hear, I just let out a sigh of relief! Thanks

Hi Izzy120,

I don't think it will be a problem, but if
you want to be on the safer side you can
do it their way. It really depends on the IO
how to execute the rules.

When you send your documents, send the copies
and keep the originals with you for the interview...

Anyway guys, one last question about translated documents...

I finally had my hubby's birth certificate made, for some reason it is called "birth registration certificate" officially "registered" in 2008 (yeah tell me about it)...this document is in my native language so it was translated into English in one of the government offices and starts with..."it is hereby certified blah blah..." and bears the seal of a notary public saying that "the translation copy is true and verified" with his notary license no. on it. I wanted to stick with this translation and send copies of both the documents. Do you think I still need to get a document saying: The translator is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate....per USCIS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mechta,
My answers are as follows. Check them twice before doing anything...

A1. No
A2. N/A
A3. Yes (unless you jumped off a ship)
A4. Yes.

Hello, guys!!! I’ve started to fill out the I-485 and I have some questions:
1. Part 1. Is The Middle Name Equals to Father's Name ?
2. Part 1. Just one more time please: I am a student (F-1) and have never worked in U.S.; I assume that I don’t have A#. Is it correct?
3. Part 3. Were you inspected by a U.S. Immigration Officer?
4. Should I submit a copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa? The instructions for I-485 say, “If you have obtained a nonimmigrant visa from US Embassy or consulate abroad within the LAST YEAR, submit a photocopy of the pages of your passport containing the visa”. I personally, obtained this visa 4 years ago, so do I have to submit the copy of this page of my passport or not?
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Hi Izzy120,

It is always better to go their ways if possible just not to lose time...

OK...so I shouldn't lose my sanity over getting "the translator is competent to translate and the translation is accurate..." document, I hope USCIS won't drill me on this. Sometimes USCIS has the most ridiculous requirements...

Thanks

Hi maila,

Good luck with your decision. Most of the time giving a decision
is much better than not being able to decide at all.

COP is less complicated than AOS just be prepared when you get there...

Hi i2009. Thank you for your post. It just came of right time. It seems you have read my mind. my spouse just called KCC and they said if we want to switch to CP then we need to send them email this week and they will make changes by July 16. We will get interview for September. We are leaning towards the CP now and will change tomorrow first thing in the morning (after we make our final decision tonight). If we get interview back home then I don't see any point of getting rejected. And we will not buy our tickets till we get letter from KCC. They said they will send letter after July 15. I think we will be safe doing this. Our CP post will be Nepal. If anyone has opinions about how busy this post is pleas help us. I think this will be our big decision of our life. I am sure we will be fine and will come back with visa stamped....God bless us all.

Hi Izzy120,

There are different practices but best way is to call KCC and learn the alternatives before taking any action...

Seniors,

I have a question for a friend of mine. He also got selected for DV2011 but he is not in the US (he is in Canada) and his wife is back home. He's planning on doing CP at the Montreal post, but the problem is that his wife cannot come to Canada due to some reasons. Is it possible for him to do CP in Montreal, get approved and then his wife does CP in the home country? Is this even possible? His case no. is 13K. Also, there are constraints in him going back to his country (as he is a student and has exams to take during the time his number will be current) and doing CP together. What are his options? You thoughts are much appreciated.

Hi mechta,

If you entered the US through customs i.e. JFK Airport
it means you were inspected by an immigration officer.
They are just using a "legal jargon". Probably to make it
more complicated so that you can hire a lawyer...

I am sorry for stupid question…. Just read in the instructions for I-485, “You are not eligible for AOS if you were not admitted or paroled following inspection by an immigration officer”.

The question about being inspected is indeed confusing. I did answer "no" on the I-485... I didn't think getting stamp on my -94 mounted to an inspection. Obviously I should have said "yes" and I see how it can be an issue; but I'm not going to worry much about it because I did submit my I-94 and a copy of the pages of my passport...These should constitute a solid set of evidence that I didn't sprint across the mexican border:)
It's a good thing that I just read this; I can be ready if it's an area of concern during the interview.

05/ 11 2009: Winning Package received (Charleston South Carolina)
05/12 2009: sent out AOS and DSO I and II (375)
05/14/2009 AOS was delivered in Missouri
05/15 2009 DSOI & II delivered in Williamsburg KY
06/03/2009 Received second letter from Kentucky stating USCIS will handle case
06/05/2009 Received receipt DV receipt fee
04/09/2010 Current in June
05/11/2010 Medical done (160)
05/10/2010 Sent package to Chicago Lockbox (930 + 80)
05/13/2010 Package delivered
05/21/2010 Received I-797C NOA
06/07/2010 Received Biometric appointment letter for 06/23
06/23/2010 Biometrics done

Hi Izzy120,

I don't think it will be a problem, but if
you want to be on the safer side you can
do it their way. It really depends on the IO
how to execute the rules.

When you send your documents, send the copies
and keep the originals with you for the interview...

Hey guys,
Like u all knows I didnt get the first selection from KCC from my lawyer, so I calle KCC to send me the copy.. they emailed me the copy of the first letter on my email...things are getting back on track. hope I will get the NOA soon and Still waiting to see if they gonna call me for the biometrics or not...just odd case of mine...dont know whats my next step gonna be ..
And maila, u did a good decision going for CP. I did wanted to do the same, but My scenerio back home is complicated so I thought of doing it all here myself..but best of luck...and wish me luck...

Waiting for check to be cashed and NOA......Have one question to all...does NOA gurantees that all the documents required and the forms filled is correct..
I mean does NOA gurantees that I have followed the guidlines of the DV lottery or its just a notice saying that they got the document.. Coz I know last time my friend send the different form and he got something blank so he got the package back with instruction to fill it up than getting the NOA....

...........does NOA gurantees that I have followed the guidlines .....

It's just a basic acknowledgment that your application is 'appears' to be in order and accepted for further processing, no hard 'guarantees' !!

However, if you receive the NoA it is guaranteed that your check has already been/ or about to be CASHED !!

PS: US INA is so vague and protects US interests very well. It guarantees nothing. Even a GC and citizenship gained from after a bogus GC can be revoked.
Did you hear about the Lebanese lady from MI, US citizen CIA agent, risked her life in Iraq then accused of being an Al Q agent.
But the ultimate offense they found and prosecuted her was that her GC marriage in 1990 s was bogus!!
Penalty: Revoked citizenship and ordered deported. Deportation held back due to 'apparent risk to her life'!!

Thats is what I thought.. just waiting for NOA now.....to get things right....I did my best.....and leaving rest over to god...
It's just a basic acknowledgment that your application is 'appears' to be in order and accepted for further processing, no hard 'guarantees' !!

However, if you receive the NoA it is guaranteed that your check has already been/ or about to be CASHED !!

My first post on this forum and the reply I got
cooldude06_78
Originally Posted by Summet
I got my 1st letter for dv 2010 and my CN is AS259** . I am going for AOS. and i have also paid the $375 fee to department of state. And I have hired the lawer for the case, however , now i am feeling confused about this matter while reading the post in this form because my lawyer wants me to fill all the form and do the medical and mail the AOS package now. What she tells me is that that way its gonna be on queue and i will have better change to get my EAD card and travel document. How ever i learned that I cannot mail them all document till my case is current otherwise its gonna be send back. Looking at the case number and the visa bulletin for last yr, it seems like my number might get current by may. So can you guys suggest me what should I do. Go with my lawyer or do something else.
Suggestions will be highly appretiated.
If you do send in the docs at this time most like you will get a rejection letter saying that the case is not current yet. That would mean you have to resend it when it will be current (meaning it wouldn't disqualify you or anything but it will frustrate you). I read in one of the interviews for the past years AOS applicants, one of the IO had suggested that the applicant can apply 60 days before the case is current on the visa bulletin or to be more correct once you see the case number becoming current you can mail the docs, don't have to wait till the 1st of the month. Anyways, there is no written facts to verify that to my knowledge. My suggestion is therefore to wait.

Hi Summet,

Just little more patience, brother. Do some praying as well.

I should mention that there are no guaranties in the process.
But the good news is nobody got rejected so far...

Waiting for check to be cashed and NOA......Have one question to all...does NOA gurantees that all the documents required and the forms filled is correct..
I mean does NOA gurantees that I have followed the guidlines of the DV lottery or its just a notice saying that they got the document.. Coz I know last time my friend send the different form and he got something blank so he got the package back with instruction to fill it up than getting the NOA....

Hi Summet,

Unfortunately what was done cannot be undone.
Look at the future, now.

Applying when seeing the Advance Notifications has been accepted so far,
nobody got rejected because of that. You had to make a decision the second
time. I think you made the right decision by not continuing by "that" lawyer
of yours. Do not doubt your decision. Just hang in tight...

cooldude06_78
I got my 1st letter for dv 2010 and my CN is AS259** . I am going for AOS. and i have also paid the $375 fee to department of state. And I have hired the lawer for the case, however , now i am feeling confused about this matter while reading the post in this form because my lawyer wants me to fill all the form and do the medical and mail the AOS package now. What she tells me is that that way its gonna be on queue and i will have better change to get my EAD card and travel document. How ever i learned that I cannot mail them all document till my case is current otherwise its gonna be send back. Looking at the case number and the visa bulletin for last yr, it seems like my number might get current by may. So can you guys suggest me what should I do. Go with my lawyer or do something else.
If you do send in the docs at this time most like you will get a rejection letter saying that the case is not current yet. That would mean you have to resend it when it will be current (meaning it wouldn't disqualify you or anything but it will frustrate you). I read in one of the interviews for the past years AOS applicants, one of the IO had suggested that the applicant can apply 60 days before the case is current on the visa bulletin or to be more correct once you see the case number becoming current you can mail the docs, don't have to wait till the 1st of the month. Anyways, there is no written facts to verify that to my knowledge. My suggestion is therefore to wait.

cooldude06_78

Hello Summet,

I am sure that your case will move smoothly from now on, be patient. I agree with cooldude's response to your first inquiry. Now, why did they accept your application as opposed to reject it for filing too early? I guess nobody can tell.

I think it was in 2007 when a lady had a similar case, she filed early and her case was accepted but the rejection letter came too late to refile. Your case is standing in a much better position as you still have time. I was reluctant to file early because of that case but then I thought that they were doing a better job handling DV petitions. Your case definitely raises a red flag to future applicants.

To answer your question regarding the NOA: some errors cannot be accepted (for example missing/wrong application type in the I-485, not providing the G-325A, Evidence of Eligibility, etc). In those cases the check will not be cashed and the application returned. For some other errors or missing documentation a RFE will be issued but the application will be accepted and a NOA issued.

Be a little more patient!