• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Yes i2009 I am also hoping for the best.. thanks for the continuous support you guys are providing me..
Hello Summet,

I am sure that your case will move smoothly from now on, be patient. I agree with cooldude's response to your first inquiry. Now, why did they accept your application as opposed to reject it for filing too early? I guess nobody can tell.

I think it was in 2007 when a lady had a similar case, she filed early and her case was accepted but the rejection letter came too late to refile. Your case is standing in a much better position as you still have time. I was reluctant to file early because of that case but then I thought that they were doing a better job handling DV petitions. Your case definitely raises a red flag to future applicants.

To answer your question regarding the NOA: some errors cannot be accepted (for example missing/wrong application type in the I-485, not providing the G-325A, Evidence of Eligibility, etc). In those cases the check will not be cashed and the application returned. For some other errors or missing documentation a RFE will be issued but the application will be accepted and a NOA issued.

Be a little more patient!

Thanks new one, hope things go smoothly..
Hi Summet,

I'm sure you'll get your card easy.
You cannot change things now.
But you had chance to correct things.
And you did a great job!!!
Just be patient. You'll get your NOA very soon.

hey guys,
i did some importnat things yesterday.
............ I have been living in the state for more than a year, but she told me it won't count coz I just got my green card. And according to her I will be an international student for a year. She didn't even agreed to take out the restriction ( there is a restriction for international students in my school, they can't register for classes online). According to her I need to maintain valid international student status for a year, and need to pay the same amount of fees I used to pay. Do any of you guys had the same problem.

In most cases laws for being a state resident and state resident for tuition purposes are 2 things.
ALL F1 students are NON RESIDENTS for both cases.
After GC you become a state resident after 60 days (most cases) and for tuition after 1 yr.

However, from the day 1 of your GC, your school Intl office should take you out from the INTL STUDENT classification and your registration should classify you as a US-PR. (if your school has 2 options of tuition rates for intl students and non-resident out of state students, you are no longer an intl visa student, just a non-resident)
Your intl. office should (from next semester) no longer charge you any fees specific to 'immigration fees' NOR charge you compulsory Health Insurance fees!!
GO fight for your PR rights !!

Hi Nokira. Thanks for your response. If I understand correctly, if I get visa back home then it will automatically cancel my H1b and in that will I be able to continue working for my current employer in US when I am back or do I need to wait till I receive green card or even the visa I received from US embassy will suffice? Because I need to provide my employer with my new status. Hope I am not asking dumb question..pressure..pressure...

Yes, I believe as soon as you come back with the GC visa stamped on your passport, you can work for whomever you want, anytime you want. The moment the passport gets stamped, that means you are approved to be a permanent resident, with or without the green card in your hands. You can give the current employer a copy of the passport stamp if he needs to see proof, and tell him that the green card should arrive shortly and you will give him a copy of that as soon as you get it. He then might have you fill a new form, I believe it is the I-9 form. At least, that's what my employer had me do, as I was an H1B, too.

hey guys,
1. I went to SSA office and applied for the new social seurity card (same number though) without the DHS resriction.
2. Applied for the replacement of drivers license. So, I won't have that 'temporary visitor' tag on my license.
3. And a sad thing. I went to my school with a hope I would be able to update my residency status. But the lady in the admission told me the green card need to be a year old to make any change. I have been living in the state for more than a year, but she told me it won't count coz I just got my green card. And according to her I will be an international student for a year. She didn't even agreed to take out the restriction ( there is a restriction for international students in my school, they can't register for classes online). According to her I need to maintain valid international student status for a year, and need to pay the same amount of fees I used to pay. Do any of you guys had the same problem.

That sucks. I applied for financial aid for summer 2010, and they refused us, but we applied for fall/winter 2011, and we were approved. Some schools have different rules...you might wanna consider changing schools.

I think thats all rubbish, you sure u go to school at Texas...coz I had my friend last time applying for instate tution at at UT arlington and all he had was the receipt of I485, showing the proof that he is applying for the residency and now he is paying the instate tution. Unless its different for different school. But the schools do require you to be in texas for 2 yrs for residency and about the international office deal. Until and unless you have your high school degree from states, even if u are a green card holder you have to go to the international advising..
hope you got your answer
hey guys,
1. I went to SSA office and applied for the new social seurity card (same number though) without the DHS resriction.
2. Applied for the replacement of drivers license. So, I won't have that 'temporary visitor' tag on my license.
3. And a sad thing. I went to my school with a hope I would be able to update my residency status. But the lady in the admission told me the green card need to be a year old to make any change. I have been living in the state for more than a year, but she told me it won't count coz I just got my green card. And according to her I will be an international student for a year. She didn't even agreed to take out the restriction ( there is a restriction for international students in my school, they can't register for classes online). According to her I need to maintain valid international student status for a year, and need to pay the same amount of fees I used to pay. Do any of you guys had the same problem.

Hi i2009,

One of my friends did CP recently and the document he was
sent from the embassy stated the following:

IMPORTANT REMINDER REGARDING MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS

Medical examinations classified as "Class B (TB)" are valid for 3 months from the date the doctor signed the report. All other medical examinations classified as "No apparent decease or defect" are valid for 6 months after the doctor’s signature date. If your case is subject to further administrative processing, your medical report may expire during the process. In that case, you are required to renew your examination and submit an updated medical report to our office when you come here to receive your immigrant visa. Your visa validity will be limited with the validity of your medical report. If you plan to travel at a later date, you are advised to renew your medical report and get a visa with a longer validity.

It may vary from country to country but this is how its practiced in a certain country.

As for my family's process. I will post my "adventures" in the future.
I do not want to piss off anybody at this point. But I can say that they
work in "mysterious ways".

Hello capeolive,

How is your family's process going? Any estimation on when they will have the consular interview? Are you traveling to help them during the interview?

I have a question regarding your answer to question 2 because I did not know. Do you need to enter the US while the medicals are valid? I thought that it was just the time limit stated in the visa packet.

Good luck and keep us posted about your CP!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi friends,

new information that can help to the future applicants.
I went this morning to the Social Security Administration.
I brought my old SSC and my passport with the stamp (I love it:D:D:D).
The most valuable thing I have at this time :D.

The man took my old SSC and cut it (what a great feeling :D).
He changed my status.
He said that USCIS still didn't send report about my new status,
but it usually takes around 10 days.
He also said I'll get my new SSC(with the same number, but without work restriction)
in 10 days. And that's it.

Also I got a paper from them.
There is a part that says:
If you are not a U.S citizen and you are applying for a Social
Security number card for employment purposes and your
immigration status allows you to work, you may legally
begin employment while you await issuance of a Social Security Card.
You cannot work if your immigration status does not authorize you to do so.

In my understanding, I can start to work immediately.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct, you can start working immediately. It took us 10 days to get the new ssn card, too, but since the number doesn't change, just the restriction gets removed, you can apply anywhere rightaway. Besides, no one asks for ssn card anymore...all they care is the number, and being able to work, of course, which you can proof with your stamp on your passport.

it could be that your school might have different rules than other school in Texas coz my fren last time applied for instate tuition at UT Arlington just with the receipt of I485 as an intent to be applying for residency and he got the instate fee, but keep in mind he is in Texas for 4 yrs as f-1. And you have to go to international advising despite of having green card unless you had your high school degree from states..
hey guys,

I do agree with that NuvF. you are supposed to pay out of state..if not instate but not international..
In most cases laws for being a state resident and state resident for tuition purposes are 2 things.
ALL F1 students are NON RESIDENTS for both cases.
After GC you become a state resident after 60 days (most cases) and for tuition after 1 yr.

However, from the day 1 of your GC, your school Intl office should take you out from the INTL STUDENT classification and your registration should classify you as a US-PR. (if your school has 2 options of tuition rates for intl students and non-resident out of state students, you are no longer an intl visa student, just a non-resident)
Your intl. office should (from next semester) no longer charge you any fees specific to 'immigration fees' NOR charge you compulsory Health Insurance fees!!
GO fight for your PR rights !!

Hi maila,

You should check your Visa Processing Post's (Embassy/Consulate in your country)
for the information. Somewhere in Europe it is limited to 90 days. It may vary
from post to post. I think you can get more information by checking their website
or emailing them...

Hi Capeolive and i2009,

Can you please give us a bit more info about the medical and entry to US? How many days medical done back home will be valid to enter US? Anyways, not planning to stay that long.

Another question popped out of my head: I am in H1B and if I get my visa back home, what happens my work permit in US? Am I am eligible to continue working or need to get work permit? Hope I won't be creating problem with my current employment. Do I have to file for the work permit in embassy back home when I apply for the visa?

Appreciate your help.

Hi friends,

Hello, friends!!!!!
In my understanding, as F-1 student I won’t be able to work, even if my I-765 will be approved. "You cannot work if your immigration status does not authorize you to do so."

You are correct, you can start working immediately. It took us 10 days to get the new ssn card, too, but since the number doesn't change, just the restriction gets removed, you can apply anywhere rightaway. Besides, no one asks for ssn card anymore...all they care is the number, and being able to work, of course, which you can proof with your stamp on your passport.

Hi Norkira,

thank you!!!

Hi nepal2010,

Good to see that you started doing some changes.

As for changing the school status my friends have done
it immediately here in PA but I know it varies from state to
state and even from school to school.

You should also register for selective services if you are between 18-25.
It is required...

http://www.sss.gov/

Almost all male U.S. citizens, and male aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service.
It's important to know that even though he is registered, a man will not automatically be inducted into the military. In a crisis requiring
a draft, men would be called in sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth. Then, they would be examined for
mental, physical and moral fitness by the military before being deferred or exempted from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces.

hey guys,

Hi new one,

Legally you can start working immediately.

Personally though I would wait until I get my actual
card before doing any changes in my life, if possible...

Hi friends,

He changed my status.
He also said I'll get my new SSC(with the same number, but without work restriction)

hey guys,

Hello nepal2010,

Congratulations on all the things you've been doing. I don't think that the admission employee is right, I know that different schools have different rules but it doesn't sound good to me. You are a legal resident and you have almost the same rights as a citizen.

Can you go and talk with a supervisor or some higher rank employee?

PS: I see that NuvF gave us a great explanation about this issue. Sorry I answered before reading the next posts.

Hi friends,

He changed my status.

Congratulations new one, I am so happy for you. You are right, it feels great to have that new status, it is like a heavy weight has been lifted from our shoulders.

Yeap! you are ready to start working in the US. Congratulations!!!!!

PS: Your visa stamp is as good as the actual card with the only restriction that is valid for one year

Hi new one,

Legally you can start working immediately.

Personally though I would wait until I get my actual
card before doing any changes in my life, if possible...

Hi capeolive,

thanks!!!
No, I won't do any BIG changes before I get my green card.
But I want to work some part time job in my free time.

Thank you for advice.

Yes, I believe as soon as you come back with the GC visa stamped on your passport, you can work for whomever you want, anytime you want. The moment the passport gets stamped, that means you are approved to be a permanent resident, with or without the green card in your hands. You can give the current employer a copy of the passport stamp if he needs to see proof, and tell him that the green card should arrive shortly and you will give him a copy of that as soon as you get it. He then might have you fill a new form, I believe it is the I-9 form. At least, that's what my employer had me do, as I was an H1B, too.

I agree with Norkira. The exception is when a GC is granted to a person that does not have a Social Security Number; in that case the immigrant needs to get his/her SSN before getting a new job.