• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Hello maila,

Have you decided for CP or AOS yet? The clock is ticking. I suggest that you make your decision. If you decide for CP you should be making the switch with KCC now; if you decide for AOS you should be getting ready to file your petition as soon as you see your case number in the next visa bulletin.

Either way, best of luck!

Hi i2009. Thank you for your post. It just came of right time. It seems you have read my mind. my spouse just called KCC and they said if we want to switch to CP then we need to send them email this week and they will make changes by July 16. We will get interview for September. We are leaning towards the CP now and will change tomorrow first thing in the morning (after we make our final decision tonight). If we get interview back home then I don't see any point of getting rejected. And we will not buy our tickets till we get letter from KCC. They said they will send letter after July 15. I think we will be safe doing this. Our CP post will be Nepal. If anyone has opinions about how busy this post is pleas help us. I think this will be our big decision of our life. I am sure we will be fine and will come back with visa stamped....God bless us all.

Anyway guys, one last question about translated documents...

I finally had my hubby's birth certificate made, for some reason it is called "birth registration certificate" officially "registered" in 2008 (yeah tell me about it)...this document is in my native language so it was translated into English in one of the government offices and starts with..."it is hereby certified blah blah..." and bears the seal of a notary public saying that "the translation copy is true and verified" with his notary license no. on it. I wanted to stick with this translation and send copies of both the documents. Do you think I still need to get a document saying: The translator is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate....per USCIS?

Hi Izzy120,
I had my documents translated by
official translator from my country.
It had at the bottom note:
"I hereby certify.....blah, blah...."
Her seal........
And that's it.....and everything was fine.....

Hi i2009. Thank you for your post. It just came of right time. It seems you have read my mind. my spouse just called KCC and they said if we want to switch to CP then we need to send them email this week and they will make changes by July 16. We will get interview for September. We are leaning towards the CP now and will change tomorrow first thing in the morning (after we make our final decision tonight). If we get interview back home then I don't see any point of getting rejected. And we will not buy our tickets till we get letter from KCC. They said they will send letter after July 15. I think we will be safe doing this. Our CP post will be Nepal. If anyone has opinions about how busy this post is pleas help us. I think this will be our big decision of our life. I am sure we will be fine and will come back with visa stamped....God bless us all.

Hi maila,

that can be very good decision.
You'll get your green cards faster.
Just be sure, that you have I-134 during the interview.
Make everything ready and go get your cards.
Good luck!!!

Hi mechta, I posted the answers below your questions.

Hello, guys!!! I’ve started to fill out the I-485 and I have some questions:

1. Part 1. Is The Middle Name Equals to Father's Name ?
Middle name is NOT the same as father's name. If you had one, i think you would have known that you do.

2. Part 1. Just one more time please: I am a student (F-1) and have never worked in U.S.; I assume that I don’t have A#. Is it correct?
Usually you can find the A# on your OPT cards, but since you haven't worked before and never got an OPT card, then you probably don't have one. Sometimes they ask for A# or #I-94 number, if you have that option, choose the one you have. Otherwise, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can find your A# on the receipts you get from the INS approval letters for visa/status, when you change or extend your status from within the US. If you have those saved, please look at them, they would have typed it out somewhere at the top of the page, top-left most likely.

3. Part 3. Were you inspected by a U.S. Immigration Officer?
Basically, when you're traveling and you're on a visa/status, the immigration officers tend to pull you to the side and ask you few questions before they let you get on that plane to US. If they have done this to you, say yes, if not, say no.

4. Should I submit a copy of passport page with non-immigrant visa? The instructions for I-485 say, “If you have obtained a nonimmigrant visa from US Embassy or consulate abroad within the LAST YEAR, submit a photocopy of the pages of your passport containing the visa”. I personally, obtained this visa 4 years ago, so do I have to submit the copy of this page of my passport or not?
I personally send a copy of all my passport pages that had ANY kind of information on them. I also send copies of the biographical pages, old and new passport, and then I wrote at top of the copy sheet: "Old passport", "new passport" "Old Visa", "Last visa", etc. for explanation.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
You're welcome and good luck

2. Part 1. Just one more time please: I am a student (F-1) and have never worked in U.S.; I assume that I don’t have A#. Is it correct?
4. Should I submit a copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa? The instructions for I-485 say, “If you have obtained a nonimmigrant visa from US Embassy or consulate abroad within the LAST YEAR, submit a photocopy of the pages of your passport containing the visa”. I personally, obtained this visa 4 years ago, so do I have to submit the copy of this page of my passport or not?
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Hi mechta,

1. Middle name is your middle name.
I think all people in USA have first, middle and last name.
Like "Lana Vanessa Harris" .
If you don't have one just put none

2.If you never worked and didn't get any A# just put none.

3. Very stupid question- yes I will put "No, I crossed Mexican border illegally" :D.
So here put yes.

4. I think you should submit photocopy of visa page.
It's better to have in the package.
And also submit other proof of your status.
I-20s or whatever you have.

Hi mechta, I posted the answers below your questions.

Hi norkira,

I just saw that you have different understanding of this question.
When I was filling in my application I found that this question
has to be yes, because some people sneak across the border.....
I don't know but maybe I made mistake.
But during the my interview I was not asked anything about that question.
Probably was correct.

I hope that whatever decision you make is the best. I am pretty sure that you'll be OK.

Seniors,

I have a question for a friend of mine. He also got selected for DV2011 but he is not in the US (he is in Canada) and his wife is back home. He's planning on doing CP at the Montreal post, but the problem is that his wife cannot come to Canada due to some reasons. Is it possible for him to do CP in Montreal, get approved and then his wife does CP in the home country? Is this even possible? His case no. is 13K. Also, there are constraints in him going back to his country (as he is a student and has exams to take during the time his number will be current) and doing CP together. What are his options? You thoughts are much appreciated.

4. Should I submit a copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa? The instructions for I-485 say, “If you have obtained a nonimmigrant visa from US Embassy or consulate abroad within the LAST YEAR, submit a photocopy of the pages of your passport containing the visa”. I personally, obtained this visa 4 years ago, so do I have to submit the copy of this page of my passport or not?
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Answer to question 3 is absolutely "YES". If you put "NO" it means that you entered the US illegally. Unless, of course, you did it and that's another issue...

Last edited by a moderator:
Seniors,

I have a question for a friend of mine. He also got selected for DV2011 but he is not in the US (he is in Canada) and his wife is back home. He's planning on doing CP at the Montreal post, but the problem is that his wife cannot come to Canada due to some reasons. Is it possible for him to do CP in Montreal, get approved and then his wife does CP in the home country? Is this even possible? His case no. is 13K. Also, there are constraints in him going back to his country (as he is a student and has exams to take during the time his number will be current) and doing CP together. What are his options? You thoughts are much appreciated.

Hello Izzy120,

I am not sure about this but I guess that the better way to find it out is calling KCC and see what they have to say. If your friend has a high number, I would not risk it though and I would go and have the Consular Interview in his home country with his wife. He might be able to coordinate his studies for 2010-2011, he still has one year...

Hi norkira,

I just saw that you have different understanding of this question.
When I was filling in my application I found that this question
has to be yes, because some people sneak across the border.....
I don't know but maybe I made mistake.
But during the my interview I was not asked anything about that question.
Probably was correct.

I think you're right, too. I was going to add to the answer that for what i know, you should put YES regardless, but I just wasn't too sure to say that. thanks for confirming/clarifying this.

3. Very stupid question- yes I will put "No, I crossed Mexican border illegally" :D.
So here put yes.

I am sorry for stupid question…. Just read in the instructions for I-485, “You are not eligible for AOS if you were not admitted or paroled following inspection by an immigration officer”.

I think you're right, too. I was going to add to the answer that for what i know, you should put YES regardless, but I just wasn't too sure to say that. thanks for confirming/clarifying this.

Ni Norkira,

maybe you put the right answer,
so that's the secret reason you were not called for the interview:D

Hi maila,

that can be very good decision.
You'll get your green cards faster.
Just be sure, that you have I-134 during the interview.
Make everything ready and go get your cards.
Good luck!!!

Thank you new one. I spoke with one of friend who got visa stamped back home and he said they did not ask him for the sponsorship but I will make sure that I have that document before we leave. Please pray for us.

Answer to question 3 is absolutely "YES". If you put "NO" it means that you entered the US illegally. Unless, of course, you did it and that's another issue...

All I gotta say is I'm glad I was checked by the immigration officers when i traveled, LOL; otherwise, I could have been in trouble here :p I understood it the other way around.

All I gotta say is I'm glad I was checked by the immigration officers when i traveled, LOL; otherwise, I could have been in trouble here :p I understood it the other way around.

LOL well, you are the lucky one! No doubt about it J

Ni Norkira,

maybe you put the right answer,
so that's the secret reason you were not called for the interview:D

Lucky guess...I guess, LOL. My instincts were right ;) I'm just happy that my answer was gonna be YES regardless how I understood it, LOL :)

On and on, I have to say, it all depends on the person handling your case. If you look at my history, I have couple of questions that I have answered wrong, or not the same as others, and at the time, I was freaking out about them, but at the end of the day, I got the green card without even an interview. It very subjective, and officer's mood could cost you a green card...or not :) Pray that you get a good one.

I am sorry for stupid question…. Just read in the instructions for I-485, “You are not eligible for AOS if you were not admitted or paroled following inspection by an immigration officer”.

Oh nooooo I didn't mean you asked a stupid question.
Sorry for misunderstanding.
They put so stupid question, that one and also a list of yes/no questions.
It take forever to answer on them during the interview.
Of course that for yes/no questions everyone will answer no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you new one. I spoke with one of friend who got visa stamped back home and he said they did not ask him for the sponsorship but I will make sure that I have that document before we leave. Please pray for us.

Hi maila,

you have my fingers crossed and I'll pray for you.
Don't worry, you'll get your cards.
My friend won 2009 and she did CP so they asked for I-134.
It's better to have one.