• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Hey friends,
just got my card today!!! Its really cool!! I love da new design. Never been happy like this before!! Now this journey is all over for me. Thanks all of you guys for your support, prayers and suggestions. I will be around here to help each of us out.

Hi nepal2010,

congratulation!!!!!!!!!!!!
So happy for you!
I hope you had a big party last night :D.
Enjoy in your new status..............

Hey friends,
just got my card today!!! Its really cool!! I love da new design. Never been happy like this before!! Now this journey is all over for me. Thanks all of you guys for your support, prayers and suggestions. I will be around here to help each of us out.

Hey CONGRATS!!! Very happy for you!

FY 2010

DV AOS Processing Times For Applicants
Whose Case Numbers were current in

January 2010

NAME ***** CUT-OFF ***** CARD

middle (Denver, CO) * January * 2.1 Months

bianfid (Nebraska)
* January * 2.6 Months

ahad (Nashville, TN) * January * 2.7 Months

gdh (Orlando, FL) * January * 3.0 Months

capeolive you did a great job!!!

Quick questions folks. I'm currently on OPT doing an internship. And it is very likely that my OPT status will expire 1 month after I send my AOS documents to Chicago Lockbox. On form G-325A and I-485, it asks for Alien number (A#), should I put the 9-digits A# that is mentioned on my current EAD card ? or write N/A? Also, is the file number on G-325A the same as the A#?

Though I will send my AOS package while on OPT, I will likely be back to school to continue my master during my AOS interview. And I'm worried about not having enough personal funding to prove that I won't be a public charge. Another question is: Should I include a letter of employment (for my current internship) in my AOS package even though this current job is only temporary? or should I just go safe with including an I-134 affidavit of support? Thanks folks

FY 2010

April 2010

[/B]

Hi capeolive,

Great job..thank you. But it is kind of scaring me off. Seems lucky few got interview/ GC in 2-3 months time frame and most lucky few like Nokira got it earlier than that time frame. I am leaning towards doing my AOS and if we are lucky then may be our number will be current for Asia (we were missed by about 200 number for August). Do you all guys think Asia is gonna move further that 28700? We have not done our medical yet but scheduled for next week. Provided our number gets current for September, we will have only 2 months and few days. Anyone in this forum has experience in "FRESNO, CA" office?

Few questions:
A. Form I-485:

I am spouse of DV winner.
1. In part 2: Do I pick option "b"--My spouse applied for adjustment of status?

B. Form G-325:
This form is submitted in connection with:

Should I put " Status as permanent resident"?

C. Affidavit of Support (I-134):

My spouse who is DV winner has Research Assistantship and can get the letter of employment from school and I am in H1B and can get the letter of employment from my employer. In this case, do we need to get this letter of support from others? If yes, is there any level of income a person need to have? Can even H1B be sponsor or we need permanent resident/ citizen? What documents we need from the sponsor including the I-134? Can we sponsor ourself in worst case? Any experience/suggestion from anyone...i2009..

D. When we send our package, do we need to write two separate cover letters?

Sorry if I bogged you guys with questions. Just trying to make sure I do it right so that I don't lose my chance and lose all my money that we will put in for the application. And after reading through "Sumeet's case", I will never hire attorney for sure.

You guys are the mental and emotional support. Thanks to all, especially for those who already gotten their green card but still helping us out and spending their invaluable time. Thanks to members for their support.
Hope you guys are enjoying soccer as well.:cool:

Hi lucky2011,

* There are actually four separate types of A#. You can
tell them apart by the number of digits and the first digit.
The rule is: if you are asked for an A# and have one,
always give this A#, regardless of number of digits and
the first digit.

* I think you shouldn't include an employment letter.
If it is possible try to provide an I-134 for the interview.

* Also if you haven't sent form DS-230 to KCC, call and
ask them if you have to send it.

Quick questions folks. I'm currently on OPT doing an internship. And it is very likely that my OPT status will expire 1 month after I send my AOS documents to Chicago Lockbox. On form G-325A and I-485, it asks for Alien number (A#), should I put the 9-digits A# that is mentioned on my current EAD card ? or write N/A? Also, is the file number on G-325A the same as the A#?

Though I will send my AOS package while on OPT, I will likely be back to school to continue my master during my AOS interview. And I'm worried about not having enough personal funding to prove that I won't be a public charge. Another question is: Should I include a letter of employment (for my current internship) in my AOS package even though this current job is only temporary? or should I just go safe with including an I-134 affidavit of support? Thanks folks

Hi maila,

Here is my take on the subject and some answers
I could think of.

Do you all guys think Asia is gonna move further that 28700?
A. Most likely, yes. But nobody can know for sure.

Anyone in this forum has experience in "FRESNO, CA" office?
A. I don't know any from Fresno.

Form I-485. 1. In part 2: Do I pick option "b"--My spouse applied for adjustment of status?
A.You should mark b. / But primary applicant marks h. and writes Diversity Visa (2010) Winner.

Form G-325: This form is submitted in connection with:
A. Mark "Status as permanent resident"?

Affidavit of Support (I-134):
A. You may not need I-134 depending on your income.
Despite this, not to lose time you shouldn't go to the interview without one.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegrams/telegrams_4437.html

When we send our package, do we need to write two separate cover letters?
A. You should have two DV files and separate them with a rubber band.
Send them together. Should have two cover letters. Also two separate checks
for each applicant.

Hi capeolive,

Great job..thank you. But it is kind of scaring me off. Seems lucky few got interview/ GC in 2-3 months time frame and most lucky few like Nokira got it earlier than that time frame. I am leaning towards doing my AOS and if we are lucky then may be our number will be current for Asia (we were missed by about 200 number for August). Do you all guys think Asia is gonna move further that 28700? We have not done our medical yet but scheduled for next week. Provided our number gets current for September, we will have only 2 months and few days. Anyone in this forum has experience in "FRESNO, CA" office?

Few questions:
A. Form I-485:

I am spouse of DV winner.
1. In part 2: Do I pick option "b"--My spouse applied for adjustment of status?

B. Form G-325:
This form is submitted in connection with:

Should I put " Status as permanent resident"?

C. Affidavit of Support (I-134):

My spouse who is DV winner has Research Assistantship and can get the letter of employment from school and I am in H1B and can get the letter of employment from my employer. In this case, do we need to get this letter of support from others? If yes, is there any level of income a person need to have? Can even H1B be sponsor or we need permanent resident/ citizen? What documents we need from the sponsor including the I-134? Can we sponsor ourself in worst case? Any experience/suggestion from anyone...i2009..

D. When we send our package, do we need to write two separate cover letters?

Sorry if I bogged you guys with questions. Just trying to make sure I do it right so that I don't lose my chance and lose all my money that we will put in for the application. And after reading through "Sumeet's case", I will never hire attorney for sure.

You guys are the mental and emotional support. Thanks to all, especially for those who already gotten their green card but still helping us out and spending their invaluable time. Thanks to members for their support.
Hope you guys are enjoying soccer as well.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi maila,

Form I-485. 1. In part 2: Do I pick option "b"--My spouse applied for adjustment of status?
A.You should mark h. and write Diversity Visa (DV) 2010 Winner (Spouse)

.......................[/I]

Per my understanding, ONLY the principal app (DV winner) should check h and say DV winner and CN , derivatives of primary app. (of any GC category incldg DV ) should mark b.

I think you are right, I will edit my answer thanks...

Per my understanding, ONLY the principal app (DV winner) should check h and say DV winner and CN , derivatives of primary app. (of any GC category incldg DV ) should mark b.

Hi lucky2011,

Shame on USCIS (or KCC for that matter) for not making a simple 'instructions' pamphlet specific to DV-AoS applicants for the last 15 yrs !!!

'cos simply AoS ppl has nothing to do with the DS-230 but due to lack of 'directions' ppl are not sure.
No harm in sending it to KCC but AoS ppl do not have to.

For the past 2 yrs I never saw any AoS person was asked about this at AoS intvw except a weird case in DV 08, where an Iranian guy had a hard time with his process.
A rude lady IO gave him a hard time for him re DS-230 and I-864 (instead of i-134) and on top of that FBI was calling him to come 'visit' their local office for 'chat' re his i-485!!
After months of nagging he got approval on Sept. 27th '08, I literally 'drank' for his success on that day !! (summet.. I will do the same for you too one day, but your case is peanuts when I recall his dilemma)

Hi NuvF,

I agree with the shame on them part. The whole process is somehow
complicated especially if you follow their instructions. God help you if
you make an infopass to ask the process.

In my case even though I was doing AOS and my family CP they
insisted that I send a DS-230 for myself also. So, later on I sent it.

But I agree there is confusion. What I have experienced myself is
neither KCC nor USCIS is experienced enough in DV AOS cases...

Shame on USCIS (or KCC for that matter) for not making a simple 'instructions' pamphlet specific to DV-AoS applicants for the last 15 yrs !!!

'cos simply AoS ppl has nothing to do with the DS-230 but due to lack of 'directions' ppl are not sure.
No harm in sending it to KCC but AoS ppl do not have to.

For the past 2 yrs I never saw any AoS person was asked about this at AoS intvw except a weird case in DV 08, where an Iranian guy had a hard time with his process.
A rude lady IO gave him a hard time for him re DS-230 and I-864 (instead of i-134) and on top of that FBI was calling him to come 'visit' their local office for 'chat' re his i-485!!
After months of nagging he got approval on Sept. 27th '08, I literally 'drank' for his success on that day !! (summet.. I will do the same for you too one day, but your case is peanuts when I recall his dilemma)

Hi lucky2011,

* There are actually four separate types of A#. You can
tell them apart by the number of digits and the first digit.
The rule is: if you are asked for an A# and have one,
always give this A#, regardless of number of digits and
the first digit.

* I think you shouldn't include an employment letter.
If it is possible try to provide an I-134 for the interview.

Thanks capeolive,
KCC confirmed to me by phone that DS-230 is not required, only DS-122 is. Should I include an I-134 in my AOS package or just bring it to the interview? Finally, is the file number on G-325A same as the A# ?

Hi lucky2011,

You can include a copy of I-134 in your DV AOS package, but you don't have to.
In either case it will be wise to take an original I-134 with you to the interview.

For the file number in the form G-325A: A# should be used.

Thanks capeolive,
KCC confirmed to me by phone that DS-230 is not required, only DS-122 is. Should I include an I-134 in my AOS package or just bring it to the interview? Finally, is the file number on G-325A same as the A# ?

Hey friends,

Congratulations nepal2010. Best of luck with your new status! It feels great to receive that plastic on the mail doesn't it?

Hi Summet,
thanks!!!
I was just wondering if I am allowed to work
without activate new status or whatever.
When my friends got green cards,
they didn't do anything to activate them.
So that makes me confused.

I just wanted to be sure, that I will not
make a problem if I start to work,
without activate it before.

Hello new one,

You are eligible to work since the day that you got your Permanent Resident status (i.e. the day the IO stamped your passport with the I-551). It is a good advice that you update your new status with the Social Security Administration, you'll never know the future implications of not doing so.

Tell your friend to visit the SSA, it will take only 15 minutes!

Now that's the way to go! I am sure all your hard work will pay off in the end and you have the support, prayers and good wishes of great people on this forum.

I am not surprised about how this lawyer turned out as I have had a sour experience myself with one of the best lawyers in the US. I won't say who it is but they are based in MD...(wink wink). They made some stupid mistakes and we didn't realize it until later (who would have known as they were supposedly one of the best lawyers!!!) and when we pointed that out, they said we needed to get another paid consultation and pay lawyer fees again to have this sorted out...all they cared about was the $$$...go figure!!!

Anyway, it is great that you have taken control of this. Be confident, positive and be prepared. You will come out with flying colors!!!

Does this lawyer's name starts with "M"?

...May be it is time I do some lawyer bashing myself...

Thanks capeolive for the jokes, I still am laughing at them...

I too had a bad experience with the attorney handling my employment based AOS and I learned the hard way. I didn't know about the different employment based categories nor the priority dates and the visa availability retrogression. I trusted the lawyer (and my employer) and then I found that they put me in the EB3 category (the lowest priority for employment base applications) so I was put in a long waiting line even though my job description and my background qualified me to EB2 (not waiting line at all). The reason the lawyer and my employer did this is to make it harder for me to make a move. Imagine my surprise to find it out. Since that day I had to educate myself and thus I was able to see clearly what they did and why.

I would not suggest anybody to sue a lawyer, the chances to win are slim because they protect each other (it is a huge business). It is so unfair, the commit mistakes and they don't take any responsibilities; it would be interesting to hear what a lawyer has to say if instead of a lawyer it was a doctor the one who committed a mistake.

The other thing that upsets me is that they charge outrageous amounts just to fill in the USCIS forms that anyone can do.

Well, not all the lawyers are bad but we certainly need to be careful and educate ourselves. Never trust them 100%

Norkira, thank you very much!!!!! WOW,I am surprised you got your green card without an interview!!!!!! BRAVO!!!!!!!! BTW, Did you include any affidavit of support in your AOS package? Or may be an employment letter?

You're very welcome, mechta. Thanks, I was a lucky one and saved myself a heartache of going to the interview and the stress you deal before it. It was too good to be true.
I did not send an affidavit of support, only the employment letter. I decided not to give them more than they asked, but I got one ready for the interview just in case they asked...which as you know, never happened.
Best of luck to you.

Hey friends,

Congratulations nepal2010, I am so happy to hear that. Enjoy it...the card and the rest of your life.

FY 2010

April 2010

norkira (Detroit, MI) * April * 1.9 Months

nepal2010 (Dallas, TX)
* April * 2.5 Months

2010forme (Orange Cnty, CA) * April * 3.3 Months

x2010x (Chicago, IL)
* April * 3.7 Months

capeolive (Philadelphia, PA) * April * 4.2 Months

olsson (Phoenix, AZ) * April * Pending

Didn't realize mine took the shortest time....I feel so blessed, especially since I didn't expect it until late June.
Thanks capeolive for doing this. You're amazing :)