Add Passport renewal experience at Indian Consular Offices in US

My wife's passport has my name misspellt, but we don't want to send it to them again as we are planning for a trip. (Houston consulate)
US passport application can be filled online and then you can print the form and take to post office, it has a bar code which they can scan and link to your online application, eliminates almost all spelling mistakes, wonder when Indian consulate will wise up and implement such a system, hopefully by 2018 when we would need to renew ours.

My PP also came today so sent 02/01/08 (Houston/TX ) recd 03/10/08, slightly more than the 30 days time frame they gave but luckily no spelling mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the passport

We went down to the consulate and spent all day there. We did get the passport, but it wasn't fun. I don't know when or if we would have gotten the passport if we hadn't physically gone.

If they would have answered the phone any one of the zillion times I called we wouldn't have had to burn a whole day down there.

If anyone is having trouble with the DC Consulate, the only thing I can suggest is to go down there. I'm just happy to have the passport and to not have to deal with these jokers again for a while.

Hi,

How is the behaviour at the San Francisco consulate? Are they reliable? I ask this because I emailed them 3 times with a general inquiry, and I have not received anything. It has been 2 months, and it was urgent. I even threatened to report them to their superiors, but I guess they don't really have any- everyone's on the same, dumb level.

Home or Business Address?

Does the Indian NY consulate send the renewed passport to the Business address or the home address of the applicant?

I guess you should have your Old passport if you have all your VISA stamping information on it. Unless that you (will be) in trouble. Act now and lodge a police complaint. Check with Houston Consulate to issue a letter saying some thing like they misplaced it. ( I know it is hard but try your best).

I prefer to go in person, though it is cost involved and get it done.

I am experiencing a very tricky situation with my passport renewal. My passport is expiring in March 2001 and I sent my passport to Houston Indian Consular Office for renewal. They promptly renewed my passport and sent me a brand new one. The new passport says (in one of the last pages of passport) that my old passport is cancelled and returned to me. But they did not send me my old passport in the mail but only the new one. I think this is very tricky considering the fact that my old passport is lost (which requires paperwork through police report etc) or should I be happy that I have a new renewed passport in my hand and my old passport is cancelled and so is not required (so it is ok if it is lost).

I did my best to fight with the indian embassy people in houston, and they are quick to answer me by saying that I do not need old passport. Is there a legal procedure for this kind of situation? I really want to sue the embassy for being so reckless in dealing with the passports or in answering for queries. Well, it is indian embassy and sueing doesn\'t work I guess...

I just want to share my experience and would like to tell everyone to personally renew their passports and not send them through mail (I mailed as all my friends did so and I am the unlucky one).

Experience: NY Consulate Passport Renewal by Mail

Mailed application to NY Consulate by Certified Mail: March 24, 2008
Passport received by Consulate: March 26, 2008
Renewed passport received at home address by express mail: April 11, 2008
Passport Issue Date: April 9, 2008

It took about 2 weeks, which is consistent with experience posted by others and what the Consulate website states (7-10 business days + transit time).

Mailed the following documents:
1. Old passport (didn't include I-94, no valid US visa in passport)
2. Application form
3. Money order for $60
4. Four 3.5 x 3.5 photographs with white background
4. Notarized copy of both sides of EAD card
5. Notarized copy of degree certificate
6. Notarized copy of marriage certificate

Nationality Status Verification Form

There is this new form that was added for passport renewal at NY - Nationality Status Verification Form.

There is a field , date of loss of passport in this form.The pdf automatically copies the date from "date of leaving of india" into this column and i cant get rid of it.

Did anyone face this problem ?

There is this new form that was added for passport renewal at NY - Nationality Status Verification Form.

There is a field , date of loss of passport in this form.The pdf automatically copies the date from "date of leaving of india" into this column and i cant get rid of it.

Did anyone face this problem ?

Print the form and fill out with a pen.

Extension of short term passport

My short term validity passport (5 years) is expiring in oct. 2008.
I am applying by mail to CGI Houston.
Do I need to pay $40(renewal along with $20 for express mail since my passport was not issued from CGI- Houston.
My passport requires clearance from Indian passport issuing office for extension (as stamped on 3rd page of passport). Does anyone has an idea of time it will take in all for getting back my extended passport?
They also mention on website that we have to fill an online application for all passport services after April 7 and consulate will not receive any other kind of application. However, there is no online application for extension of short term passport. I have my application ready but confused over above stuff.
E-mailed and tried calling consulate but no answer.
I am here on F1 visa.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
:confused:

Time frame for issuing a new passport at DC

My old PP was received at DC on April 8th, 2008. I will appreciate any updates on how long it is taking to get a new one issued

I have applied for my passport renewal at Houston Consulate. My application reached them on April 1st. Like most of us, I tried calling them several times and emailed them several times, but with no response.

Along the same lines, I have applied for PIO card for my son on March13th and have not got a response from them. Again, with no response for emails and phone calls.

I have made travel arrangements for us to go to India and I am worried that I am not getting any response from the consulate. Please let me know if there is any better way to contact consulate. Should I go to consulate personally (I have to fly to Houston)?

I have applied for my passport renewal at Houston Consulate. My application reached them on April 1st. Like most of us, I tried calling them several times and emailed them several times, but with no response.

Along the same lines, I have applied for PIO card for my son on March13th and have not got a response from them. Again, with no response for emails and phone calls.

I have made travel arrangements for us to go to India and I am worried that I am not getting any response from the consulate. Please let me know if there is any better way to contact consulate. Should I go to consulate personally (I have to fly to Houston)?

Have you received your passport back? I am in a similar situation. I had sent my passport for renewal and it reached their offices on April 18. I had sent the additional $90 for express services (10 business days) but haven't yet received anything from them. I am supposed to fly to India in 2 weeks and am getting quite anxious about it, to say the least.

Any advice

Personal Visit to Houston

Over 4 weeks and no response yet even though the emergency services is supposed to be 10 business day turnaround time. I'm planning to fly to Houston if I don't receive my passport in the next two days since I have a trip to India planned for next week.

Any advise??

Have you received your passport back? I am in a similar situation. I had sent my passport for renewal and it reached their offices on April 18. I had sent the additional $90 for express services (10 business days) but haven't yet received anything from them. I am supposed to fly to India in 2 weeks and am getting quite anxious about it, to say the least.

Any advice

Passport Experience

I feel that we need to unify our voices and start writing letters to editors of major publications - India Abroad, India Today, Times of India about the sickening experience we meet at the hands of our own consulates.

How can we complain about INS when our own govt agency treates us in the most horrible fashion

I'm In the same situation. They have received my paasport on the 24th of April and since then no word...I tried and tested all the forms of communication except direct dialogue ...if anyone id planning to go to Houston pl.let me know. I'm travelling to India on the 10th of June.
thanks

Indian address in passport?

Hi, I got my passport renewed couple weeks back from embassy in Houston. I noticed that there is only one address mentioned in my passport, which is my current address where I reside in Florida. But I do not see any address of India in the passport. Surprisingly, my brother got his passport renewed at embassy in San Francisco and his new passport shows both addresses (US and India)..

Just wondering, is that a matter of concern and if I need to send my passport back to Houston to get the indian address in the passport. I am really reluctant to send my passport back to houston via mail. I had provided my address in india in the application form. wanted to know if we should get both addresses in the passport after renewal?..as usual no one is responding to phone/email anything..:( Please advise..

Thanks

you are lucky you at least have your passport - i am still waiting on mine from Washington DC - 11 weeks and counting:(

Mailed the following documents:
1. Old passport (didn't include I-94, no valid US visa in passport)
2. Application form
3. Money order for $60
4. Four 3.5 x 3.5 photographs with white background
4. Notarized copy of both sides of EAD card
5. Notarized copy of degree certificate
6. Notarized copy of marriage certificate

Are you folks sending in 4 photographs besides the ones to be sticked on the Application form, and Verification of Nationality Status form? Or in other words, are you sending in 4 photos or 6 photos?

Does consulate use their own return envelope, or do I need to send one?

Can I book my India tickets in the absence of renewed passport? I am planning to visit in December whereas my passport expired in Feb 09. Time is running out to do the reservations!

TIA.

Nothing frustrates you more than the SF consulate!

In the recent updates to the San Francisco consulate website (cgisf.org) they have removed the pdf version of the passport renewal form. All they have is an online form.

Going by the most confusing instructions that they have, I fill out this form and print it. They expect you to bring this form along with other documents.

So what if I want to apply by mail? There are (another set of confusing) instructions for that. They ask u to fill out the same form. Ok, I've already done that, right? But now they say "paste" the photos not staple them. Paste where? On my monitor?? Remember, it's an online form!!!! No wait, I just printed it right? Fine. So I paste my photo (which, by now, has a confused look on the face) at the bottom of the page. There's very little room.

And because it's an online form there's no need to sign it, and therefore there is no space for it. BUT, if I want to send it by mail, I need to sign it. So I look for some empty space and luckily find some right besides my pretty face. So I sign it. I get smarter and put date also.

According to instructions, you are supposed to send your original passport with this form. And a copy too! (coz they don't have copiers at the consulate). Fine. Two photographs.. u, huh? I've already pasted one. So one more, right? What the heck, I clip two! Notarized copies of DL, utility bills, money orders.. done! Ready for dispatch.

I send it by Fedex and expect it to return after a few weeks. But I get it the next week! Sweet.. they're quick! Yep.. they're quick in rejecting the application. They return the whole stuff (in regular mail) saying I used the wrong form! They send me a "sample" which seems to be printed from a notepad file. I cannot use the sample as it's got fake names etc. So where do I get this form now? There are no instructions for that!

I went to the Indian Embassy website - got a PDF form from there - which says it can be used at any consulate. By the way, content-wise it looks like the sample form. I'm happy. I download that form, fill it, and send the whole thing again in Fedex.

They're quick again! I get it in 5 days this time, in regular mail, rejected for the same reason. I used a wrong form. They send the same sample again.

They don't answer the phone or emails. The website is as pathetic as it was. What a shame, by the way! The consulate serves the silicon valley - which proudly boasts of highly intelligent and techno-savvy professionals. Yet the website is way below mediocre levels. So ironical!

Long story short, does anyone know which form should I use?

F1...F1...