Add Passport renewal experience at Indian Consular Offices in US

Passport renewal

My current passport will expire in Nov 2008. It was issued in Jalandhar and my permanent address in India has changed from Jalandhar to Gurgaon now. My old passport still carries the address of Jalandhar. I want to renew my passport from NY consulate and little worried about how much time it will take them to renew the passport. I plan to visit India in September.

Their site mentioned that in straightforward cases it will take 2-3 weeks but i dont think my passport will fall into that category.

If anyone has faced similar situation where original address in passport and current permanent address are different and had his passport renewed, please share your experience.

Regards

@passporttrouble, me too just got my renewed passport and it does not have my India address. My previous passport, also issued from Chicago 3 years ago, had both India and US address. I am thinking of not doing anything about it.

My timeline
Sent by next-day delivery 18th June
Consulate received 19th June
Consulate mailed 24th June
Received 25th June

I got my new passport in 2 weeks from NYC consulate. However it does not have ECNR stamp even though the old passport had ECNR.

I have GC. Is that a reason, ECNR is not there? Or should I have one regardless? TIA.

@passporttrouble, me too just got my renewed passport and it does not have my India address. My previous passport, also issued from Chicago 3 years ago, had both India and US address. I am thinking of not doing anything about it.

My timeline
Sent by next-day delivery 18th June
Consulate received 19th June
Consulate mailed 24th June
Received 25th June

Yours was like superfast express, I sent my passport to Houston consulate on 07/18/2007, no status yet. Am I expecting it tooo early?

San Francisco By Mail

I sent mine for renewal/new booklet to SFO by mail.
Sent: July 9 2008
Received at SFO: July 10 2008
Got new passport with old cancelled: July 17th 2008 (By DHL)

I got my new passport in 2 weeks from NYC consulate. However it does not have ECNR stamp even though the old passport had ECNR.

I have GC. Is that a reason, ECNR is not there? Or should I have one regardless? TIA.

Anyone in the same boat?

regarding the Application to be used for Passport renewal

Jim,

Can you please let me know which application you used for this renewal. Mine is also going to expire in another 6 months so i thought of renewing. can you please let me know fees also...http://www.indiacgny.org/appl_forms/Form4.pdf

is this the application that you used for renewal...please reply...thank you...

got new passort in record time

Guys,

Since this forum has been so informative and has provided so much guidance to me, i thought of sharing my passport renewal experience also.

I applied for Passport Renewal at the CGI houston and have received the new passport in two weeks !!!!. Wow right.

These are the details:

1) Applied using new online application
2) Mailed the printed application with supporting documents on July 14
3) CGI office receivied the package on July 16
4) I received the new passport along with the cancelled old passport on July 31.

Apart from this forum, i referred CGI houston website and http://www.path2usa.com/immigration/relatedinfo/passport_renewal.htm

Note: For 3.5 cm X 3.5 cm photos i did the following:
Went to CVS, asked them to take the picture without zooming in that much. That way when the 2 inch X 2 inch is printed out, I have enough space to cut it. It worked like a charm. No hassles.
Only slight problem was with the scanner that CGI used i guess. The picture that they pasted on the new passport is little blurred. Probably only my family memebers can make out that it is me :).

Anyways good luck...

Passport Renewal@DC- counting from Jul 8th

Hi eadap485 and others waiting from renwals from DC:

I am one among you and misled by the information in their website that renewals happen in 6 to 8 BD, sent my passport by UPS with an appointment date of Jul8th(they received on Jul 7th) for renewal. But after that there has been no news... I am panicking now after reading all these horror stories and I have travel scheduled on 09/05 to India...

Can someone who received their passports renewed quite recently from DC post something on their details? Also, any idea whether it would help if I travel all the way from Charlotte, NC to DC burning a vacation day and meet the counslars there in person? Will they help even if I would have sent my papers in mail previously?

Any suggestions/information will be greatly appreciated... And to mention not I have tried all those 3 #s on their website many times only to reach their full mailboxes... :-(

Thanks and look forward to hear from someone.

Passport Renewal at Washington DC

I am too in the same boat. Sent my application on 7/7 and and received by them on 7/8. Until now, I did not get my passports. Please update me if you have got any information from them.

Jim

Can you please let us know what all documnets you sent in the mail... what is the address proof support documnet you sne tthem...Thank You...

I need some help in applying for renewal at DC consulate.
The consulate asks that all information be filled through online form and not typed or hand written. But the online and the generated PDF (which is not writable) don't map well. Fields in the PDF files are not writable and is not represented in the form.I am kind of lost here. do we just leave the fields empty? Any help is appreciated.

I am too in the same boat. Sent my application on 7/7 and and received by them on 7/8. Until now, I did not get my passports. Please update me if you have got any information from them.

Finally I got my PP (Old & New). Washington DC embassy took 4 Working Weeks to process the application sent via mail. :D:D:D:D

Fee and Photo

Hi,

I am going to CGI, Houston to renew my passport in person. I wanted to pay the 90$ for the tatkal scheme and have it sent to me asap. Is it possible to recevie it the same day? Also is it possible to pay these fees in cash or does it have to be the cashiers check. Becuase I have taken 2 cashiers check ($60 and $130) for the regular and the tatkal scheme. But I didnt include the mail charges for the tatkal service assuming they would return it the same day.

Also, do they accept the 2x2 photos at Hoston?

Thanks
Ash

Hello All,
Just wanted to post my experience about renewing passport at Washington DC.
I sent my passport to Indian embassy Washington DC on 8th July 2008 and it reached them on 9th July 2008 (overnight) I confirmed delivery through ups.com...thats it after that it was like a black hole you cannot get any information or status of your passport.
I kept on checking with western union customer service whether the money order was cashed. Honestly there is no way to tell where your passport is. and yes 2x2 passport photos no one has that in US ..i had to cut them myself to make it to 2x2.

My parents applied for passport renewal in India and even there they had a website they could track and status check their passport.
But in US noway ...you cannot track or status check at all, I called them more than 50 times...left as much voice mails...wrote 5 emails no reply for anything...no one answers phone calls...it is the most frustrating and pathetic service I have seen. The website says 4-7 business days its more like 4-7 weeks....
My money order was cashed after 20 days and finally today I received my renewed passport.
This is very bad customer service and management by these folks with most important document (passport) for any non-immigrant.
I hope something changes about the way they do it, atleast change the website to 4-7 weeks and people will not anticipate some correspondence in 4-7 days.
Atleast have a customer service phone number or status checking on website.

Thanks for pouring that out Kiran.... And lucky you.. you got your passport back... I am still counting from Jul 8th and see no signs... Honestly if they would have said that it would take 4-7 weeks, I wud have never sent mine for renewal, with a travel schedule waiting in the 1st week of Sep to India... :-( I am panicking now and plan to visit them in a week or so... I just pray that I get it soon, that I don't need to go...

Folks, Here is my passport renewing experience with Washington DC consulate, hope this could be helpful to you.

I mailed on July 11th for passport renewal. they received it on July 14th.

After three weeks, I called them many times, e-mailed them and they didn't respond to me in any channel.

I used Money order for fee, it's better to send certified check rather sending fee as money order, it will help you to know that your application is under process.

I waited for more than one month, finally I got my passport renewed and I received new and old passports on Aug 14th.

On an average, It's taking one month time @ Washington DC Indian embassy :eek:.