Add Passport renewal experience at Indian Consular Offices in US

Houston Passport Center

Send my passport for renewal on October 30 and received passport yesterday. Close to 4 weeks. Houston accepts 2x2 US passport size photos.
The total fees that I paid was $40 for new passport + $5 mailing charges + $ 15 overnight express mailing = One cashier's check for $ 60 and including a letter with the above split up. No documents are needed for ECNR if it is already stamped in your old passport.

Do we need affidavit in addition to application

My 10 year passport expired 7 months back, Do I need to submit notarized affidavit in addition to the application.., please let me know.
Also, I recently moved and just have bank statement as proof of local address (have drivers license from NJ), do they need utility bills also, it does not mention any thing of such sort on the application on web site.
Thanks

Incorrect details in renewed passport

I recently renewed my passport, got on time but the spouse name and address were entered incorrectly.
It ll be great if someone has an advise about what I can do now.
Do I send it again for corrections, if yes do I have to pay for it again coz it was not my fault that they entered it wrong.

Don't worry

I recently renewed my passport, got on time but the spouse name and address were entered incorrectly.
It ll be great if someone has an advise about what I can do now.
Do I send it again for corrections, if yes do I have to pay for it again coz it was not my fault that they entered it wrong.

I had a similar issue. I emailed them. I got this response. I got my corrected passport in a week.

We regret the error. Kindly send in both the old and new passports, along
with a note for correction. Mark your envelope 'Correction of Passport'. For
faster return services, include a prepaid Express envelope

Same here, received passport from NY consulate with screwed up First/Last Name. So will be sending back again, with another pre paid Express envelope.

These dumb @##%$% at the consulate should be paying for the mail since they made the mistake :mad:

Passport Renewal from NY Consulate

Hey All,

I have applied to renew my passport in nov to the NY consulate. They received it on 30th November, but i havent received it yet.

Does anyone has any similar experiences? I have tried emailing/phone/fax but there has been no response as yet.

Does anyone have any idea whats the timeline at this consulate if application sent by mail?

Thanks in advance

WHich email id did u use?

Hi,
Could you share which email id you used? i have been emailing for a while now, but no response yet from anyone...would appreciate if someone could give me an email id, from where you got a response.

thanks

Just an FYI -
I emailed the consulate in NYC asking them if a self addressed envelope is required if I send the additional money for return and I got a reply back saying send either the money or the self addressed envelope for return

Hi,
Could you share which email id you used? i have been emailing for a while now, but no response yet from anyone...would appreciate if someone could give me an email id, from where you got a response.

thanks

For the consulate in New York : passport@indiacgny.org

You should get a response from them in a day or two at the max. I had also sent them an email about the photograph size and got a reply back after a day. Just in case anyone else wants to know, it was : "It should be 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm"

Got a reply from NY

FYI

after calling and leaving messages whole of yesterday, i finally got a phone call from one of the officers that they r about to mail my passport in the evening...hopefully i should get it by next week at the latest.

Passport renewal at NY Consulate

Hi everybody

Here is my experience for passport renewal with NY consulate. My passport was due to expire in May 2008. I decided to renew it well ahead of time. I prepared all the documents (Application form, old passport copy, proof of current valid status and money order of $40). I went to NY consulate on Jan. 8th 2008. I was there at 8:00 am. The consulate opens at 9:15am. There were already 10 people standing in the line. I was 11th. At 8:55am the doors opened. Everybody went downstairs. We were given the ticket with sequence numbers on it. At 9:20am the windows opened and they started accepting the applications. I got my turn around 10:00am. There was a lady behind the country. I handed all the papers to her. She confirm my papers with another lady and told me that they were alright. I asked her when will I get my new passport. She said that I have to pick it up after 1 week. I said I want it the same day. She said that for that I have to pay $90 extra. So $130 total. I did not wanted to leave it pending. So I agreed to that. She told me to wait until my name was called. It is a very small room of approximately 20'x20'. There were about 150 people in that room. I waited for another 2 hours. Around 12:00pm they called my name. I went to the windows and paid $130. The lady told me pickup the new passport at 4:30pm. So I went out and had lunch. Came back around 3:00pm. It was not much crowded that time. There were around 80-90 people waiting for their turn. On the application form and on the website, they mentioned that they accept the application only till 12:15pm. But they were still accepting the applications at 3:00pm. This went on till 4:00pm. It started getting crowded again. People who were picking up the passports started coming in. I got in the line of passport pickup at 4:00pm. They started giving the passport at 5:00pm. They don't have any system of sorting the passports. They just match the receipt numbers that they give you with the receipt numbers that is attached with your new passport. Finding 1 correct passport takes almost 10 minutes. Finally my turn came to pick up the passport. I handed my white receipt to the lady. She looked at the receipt for few seconds and asked me if I applied for the passport in the morning. I said "yes". She told me that my passport is not ready. I was shocked. I told her that I paid for the same day pickup. Again she looked at the receipt for few seconds. Then she started looking for my passport in another bunch. Finally she found my passport. She gave it to me and she apologize for her mistake. I check all the information. Everything was alright. Thank god.

Tips for application at NY Consulate:

1. Go early.
2. Demand the Tatkal Service if you need it same day. For some reason, I noticed that they will not volunteer and tell you about the service.
3. Get in the pickup like latest by 4:00pm. It will get too crowded too soon.
4. Do not carry lot of things with you. There is hardly any place in the room.
5. Bring a bottle of water and light snacks. It may take long and you might get hungry.
6. Do not dare to bring children with you. They will easily get bored.
7. Check all the information on your new passport. There are lots of case of wrong information being typed in the passport.

Good Luck

Regards

Nirmal

Last edited by a moderator:
Indian Embasy (Washington DC) sucks

Experince at Indian Embassy Washington DC

I would like to know how many people facing the same bad experince at Indian Embassy Washington DC. I have applied for my son's PIO card application on December 18(Almost over a month ago). Indian Embassy website mention that they take only 2 week processing time for PIO application. So far 4 weeks has been passed no news yet.

1- Called several time to check PIO status found that Embassy employee
very unprofessional and rude.

2- After several attempt if someone picks up phone when they talk sounds
like they are in auto mode. Before I finish my talk gentle man said when
did you applied ( As if I am checking status wthin a day or week after
application).

Please share your experience with Indian Embassy Washington DC here.

Is Indian Embassy understaffed? or just plain incompetent

I thought India is putting a new foot forward - but if Embassy staff is any measure of change, I'm disappointed.

No one answers the phone. The voice mail box is always full. The email is never answered. How can anyone ever get an answer? Check status of an application that has been pending more than the duration 'they' specified. I wonder who is hired to work in embassy's. Is there any oversight? The supervisor's should be fire for incompetence and then the staff. How can they be shaken out of complacency to at least have the decency to give an honest answer. Don't they understand that issues related to Passport, PIO, OCI are of utmost importance and the least we can expect is an honest answer - or just an answer.
I hope only Indian citizen's are subject to this kind of treatment - It is very difficult to defend this incompetence.

NY Consulate rocks!!

I sent my passport to NY Consulate on Jan 14th, they received it on Jan 15th (USPS Express mail). I have sent 3.5 * 3.5cms photo (cut the 2*2 inch photograph taken from Walgreens). I got my new / old passport on Jan 31st in USPS express mail. Exactly 2 weeks.

NY consulate are pretty fast i guess.

Experience - Passport renewal at NY

I sent my passport for renewal on Jan 29, 08 and received both new and old passport back on Feb 15, 08. Was both impressed and relieved after getting it back so quick. I had opted for $20 option in getting it mailed back, it came by USPS express mail. There were minor mistakes in the new passport though. Mother's name was misspelt even though it was correct in old passport and the form. Also they didnt add my wife's name in the new passport even though it was there in the old passport and the form. This probably could be because i didnt send the marriage certificate as the form asked to send marriage certificate only if you dont have your spouse name on your old passport. So if you are married and renewing your passport send you marriage certificate even if you already have your spouse name on the passport.

I sent my passport for renewal on Feb,12 received by NY Consulate on Feb,13 and they have promptly returned the new passport exactly after two weeks. NY Consulate very prompt in service.

Passport renewal, PP expired more than 6 month HOU/TX

I had mailed my passports (mine and spouse) to Houston consulate via express mail and it reached there on Saturday (02/02/08), as the consulate is closed USPS said left note to collect from post office.

I was scared that consulate may not collect it but USPS redelivered and they received it on 02/04/08.

Now it has been 24 days and no word, I know I am supposed to wait 30 days, but this delay is making me uneasy.
I applied for my kids US passports and they have a tracking system, phone number and everything, got those in 6 days.

Q1) Do you know if they do any police verification in India for permanent address, more so as my PP was expired for more than 6 month (expired July 2007)

I also need to apply for PIO card for my daughter and now I am thinking maybe I should drive to the consulate ( I am in Dallas so 4 hour drive) although as I don't have my old or new PP, which they might ask at the counter.
I have all the paper work to send it via mail, any suggestion ?

Anybody applied for PP renewal/ PIO card in Houston consulate recently, can you share how much time it took.

Thanks

Passport sent Jan 18 to DC Embassy

I am a US Citizen, and my wife is an Indian Citizen. Both of our passports were down to their last blank pages, so we sent them off for additional pages.

We mailed them together on January 8. The US application was filled out online, and was free. I received my passport back on January 16. On January 17, we received my wife's passport back. This was to the Embassy in DC.

Apparently we needed to send them an additional $10. The passport form says the fee for an additional pages booklet is $20, and an additional $20 for mailing fees. So I sent $40. They sent a form letter back with the passport and other materials saying that they used $10 for the mailing fee, and I need to send another $10. Six weeks later, I still do not understand this logic.

Nevertheless, the next day (January 18), I sent the entire package back with an additional $10. It's been almost six weeks and I have not heard anything back from them. I've emailed and called but have gotten no response.

We have a trip to South Africa in May so once we get her passport back we need to apply for a visa from South Africa. We still have two and a half months but I'm starting to worry ...

Passport renewal, PP expired more than 6 month HOU/TX recd in 4weeks

Finally my wife's PP came today so exactly after 30 days, however mine didn't come, hopefully it will come in 1-2 days.
I have also applied for my daughter's PIO card Yesterday, will see how long it takes, some people here have received it in 3.5 weeks but for one of my friends it took 2.5 months.

Photo specs for NY Consulate

Could someone please clarify the photo specs for the passport renewal at the NY consulate? Do they require a 2'' X 2"", or 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm? Is white background fine, or do they require a "light colored" background?

All consulates (including NY) ask for a 3.5 x 3.5 cm, white is fine, someone had also answered the same question in this thread before.