Add Passport renewal experience at Indian Consular Offices in US

Hi,
I called almost all the retailers(CVS, riteaid, costco, walgreens) and they said they offer only 2X2 size only.
Can some one please post where 3.5X3.5 will be done

Thanks

Hi All,

I am new to this thread and new to USA, so I mught be asking some stupid questions....but plz understand....thanks...

My PP expires on 11th Nov 2007. and I have a few questions regarding the documents that need to be sent along with the expiring PP.

I am an F1 Student, so like evry one my PP has the visa stamp (sticker actually) and the I94 attached to it. My questions:

1. Some ppl say that it we have to send a stamped self addressed envelope along with the PP, but if we are sending a self addressed envelope, why are we sending $15 for mailing?

2.I am currently in Austin, on Internship, Ill be going back to my college and dont know what my address would be, coz the lease ended when I came here in May. What do I do? Which address should I give?

3.Whats the final take on the pic: 2"x2" or 3.5cm x 3.5cm?

4.Do I need to take the I94 out of the PP?... and let the visa sticker remain in the PP?... woudn't I need the visa again?

I would really b thankful if any of u guys can answer these questions.... thanks u so much....

Hi Roulph66

1. I did not send any $15 for mailing. I sent money order for $40 for the passport fee and a self addressed USPS Express Mail Envelope which had cost me $16.25 (from My palce to San Francisco Consulate).

2. fyi,I guess the address you mention in your application form would be printed on the back page of your passport. If you plan to change the address, give one of your friend's address.

3. I had to shop around for the 3.5X3.5 and finally one of the walgreens done that for me. They took 2X2 photo and has cut into 3.5X3.5. If they dont do that, guess we have to cut it ourselves. I am not sure if they accept 2X2.

4. I did not send I-94.

Note: please see your local Indian Consualte website for any updated information. Different consulate locations may have different requirements.

I applied for a new passport for my wife to get the name sequence changed. Her original passport didn't have a surname and her first and last name was written under "Given Name". We went to the Houston embassy in person and applied for a new one. They charged us $40 for the passport and $15 for overnight delivery. We submitted the passport on May-25th. They gave us a receipt with an expected date of arrival as June-28th written on it. We got the passport on July-1st. Not bad...it was close.

Name reversal in Passport. Please Help

Hi, my name sequence is wrong in my passport. I want to get it corrected and I am living in Florida. I read your comment on this thread about the same issue and I would like to know what documents I need to submit to the Consulate General of India, Houston. Do I need to submit a proof of name change in the news papers, as mentioned in the Consulate General of India, Houston web site? As I am not changing my name, I am expecting that I need not advertise about my name change.
We tried to call Houston Consulate and sent coulpe of emails, but didn't get any respose. I don't know to whome I need to contact.
Your advise is highly appreciated.
Thanks

PP Reneasl at NY consulate

Hallo Everyone,

My Passport got expired last friday 07-13-2007 and I am planning to apply for PP renewal in person at NY consulate.

Can someone share their experience in applying at NY consulate? What time I need to be there at consulate as I have heard the lines are long. Also, is there any chance that i can get my PP renewal on same day?

I am also planning to apply for PP Renewal for my Wife and Indian visa for my 1 year old daughter. Do they have to appear in PERSON or can I submit their Passport and their applications at NY consulate?

I am planning to go 2mmorrow 07-20-2007. You response is really appreciated.

Thanks

Passport renewal at New York Consulate

Hi,

I have applied for my passport renewal at New York consulate via email on July 11th. I sent it express so I tracked it and found that they had got it on July 12th. Now I am trying to get any status for my application. But no one picks up the phone after hours of holding. 10 emails with no response 5 faxes with no response. Can you guys share some experience of the new york consulate or it is just me who is so unlucky.

Will going to the consulate in person help me to get some status on my application ?

Their web site states that it takes two days + mail time (should be 3-4 days with express mail) for passport renewal. I am getting desperate.

Can you guys provide me with some advise ?
(I am suppose to join a company in canada on August 17th)

thanks
amit

My Visit to NY Consulate

I am sharing my experience of Passport Renewal and Indian 10 year Visa at NY Consulate.

My passport got expired on July 13th 2007 and my wife PP getting expired by Nov 2007. We are planning to make a trip to India during middle of September. As I also need to apply Visa for my 1 year old daughter, we decideup to visit NY consulate and apply all together in Person.

We reached NY consulate (located at 64th and 5th street intersection) at 7:15AM. We are 5th person in the line. By 8AM the line got bigger like thanksgiving sale and around 75 persons were there behind us. They openedup the consulate around 9AM. Its like walking into a basement PUB. Right before you enter into the hall, they issue tokens. They were giving seperate tokens for PP renewal and Visa and also guided to two different rooms for each of them. So I had to send my wife and daughter with Visa token and I got into PP renewal room. Within 10 minutes, the whole room got packedup and u will hardly find a place to stand.
Sharply, at 9:16AM they opened up the counters. Mine was second one. When they called my number , I reached the counter and submitted both the forms for myself and my wife. They asked for Original passport and Green Card. I have attached 4 photographs (3.5 x 3.5 cm) along with the application form. they gave me back one of them and kept 3 pictures for each forms. The person at the counter glanced through the form briefly and asked me to pay $80. There is no questions asked. Oh yeah, she asked me if we want the spouse name to be added into the Passport. But for all surprise, she did not ask if my wife is along with me at the consulate. She gave me the receipt for each passport application and asked me to come between 4:30PM to 5:15PM to collect the passport. The whole process took less than 3 minutes. I went to other side of the room to see my daughter's token (for Visa) wasn't called yet. It was the same procedure for my daughter. They took the form and $150. No questions asked. They asked us to come and collect the PP at 12:15PM. We asked if we can come at 4:30 as we have PP renewal needs to be collected and she said OK.

We left the consulate by 9:40AM. We hanged out in NY for all day.. We came back to NY consulate at 4:30AM. Again the line was so long to collect the passport. They had two seperate lines for PP and Visa. This time the line was not organized. Also, you can collect your passport only at the counter where you have submitted. (as there are only two counters). I got my PP renewal and PP for daughter around 5:10PM.

We put a BIG salute to the consulate and left home to sit back in my recliner to njoy my drink.

Thanks to everyone.

~Mad

Hi Poddar007 (Amit)

Did you finally get your passport? I'm planning to sent it to NY by mail also and I would like to further know about your experience. Did you send prepaid express mail envelop or did you send money for express mail?

Thanks!
AJ

went to NYC consulate, process went very well
they took 2X2 passport photos.
In the consulate itself there is a photocenter kind of thing where you can take passport photos.
Number of applicants for passport extensions and visa applicants are in a high number.

Under Wierd Situation while Passport Renewal

Hi,

I have a kind of a very tricky situation, if someone can share their similar experience.

My H1 has expired since 3/31/07, applied for 7th Year Extention, got RFE and my lawyer says we will reply in the August End.

I went for my PP Renewal, the lady took all the documents including H1 Ext. Receipt as a proof that I have applied for H1 Ext. and my status is Legal. She told me that I will have to call after 30 days and talk to somebody and I might have to go there for the Interview after calling them if they ask for.

Basically, I am worried as I am not sure I will get my H1 Ext. or not, I have applied for I-140 Last Month and I-485 went out today which will be reached to Nebraska Center today.

I am worried what will they ask in the interview and what if I dont have my H1 till that time ?

Please reply if anybody has similar experience.

Thank You.

I have to renew my Indian passport and about to mail it to NY Consulate. couple questions. I tried looking but didn't find exact reference.

1. I will be sending one certified check for $55 ($40 for renewal + $15 for Express return.)
- Do I need to send any "Self addressed" envelope for the passport return ? Or just sending the check should take care of the return.

2. If I am sending my original passport do I need notarized copies of the Visa on it ?

3. Are the following documents enough for renewal?
- Passport renewal form
- 4 photographs
- Copies of first 5 and last 2 pages of passport and copies of all visas
Do I need these notarized?
- Certified check for $55
- Copy of Degree certificate (Notarized, since I am not sending the original)
- Copies of Receipt Dates for my GC filling (Do I need this notarized?)

Any reply will be appreciated, Thanks!
- AD

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI -
I emailed the consulate in NYC asking them if a self addressed envelope is required if I send the additional money for return and I got a reply back saying send either the money or the self addressed envelope for return

My wife passport is getting expired in another 7 months. Can I go on her behalf and submit the forms for renewal at Newyork embassy. Please advice

Houston: Experience of Emergency passport renewal in October 2007

My passport expired on sept 23,2007. I was waiting for the consulate camp in atlanta which somehow did not happen for couple of months. I sent fedex on Oct 2. Received by Houston consulate on Oct 4. I sent checks worth $160 (50 for jumbo booklet+90 emergency+20 mail). Yes you can send only one money order/casher's check. Got a call from consulate informing that jumbo booklets are not available. I said I would be happy with 36 page booklet. new+old passports sent through fedex overnight on Oct 12 and delivered on Oct15 instead of Oct13(not sure about the delay by fedex though).

Passport Renewal chicago Consulate

I mailed my passport for renewal to Chicago Consulate in September. It reached COnsulate on Sept 11th. I still haven't received my passports yet.Does anyone has any experience with Chicago consulate? I think it's almost getting 6 weeks. Shall I still wait or just go to Chicago and enquire? As they don't pick up the phone and do not reply to email.I have been doing that for a while.
Please reply if you have any exp.

Dear cnareshkumar,

I have three questions(I need to renew my passport -My passport is expiring in Mar 2008):
1. Do we need to send my original I94 also for passport renewal.
2. The H1B visa on my passport is for CompanyA and is valid till Mar 2008. While I am now currently with CompanyB with approval notice-valid till Aug 2009. I plan to send copy of 797A along with my old passport. Do I need to notarize that copy.
3. I also plan to send $90 (so I get it back in two days) Plus $40 for booklet (Total $130). Do we still need to add $20 for envelope in this case also.
4. I also need to change my maiden name(last name) to married name. I would be sending notarized copy of my marrigae certificate & add refrence to it in the letter to consul. is that enough.

I would be going to India for vacation in Nov end, that is why I am renewing my passport - as I guess they need atleast 6 months before the passport expiry time at Port of Entry.

Thanks in advance.

1. New Passport can be obtained within one year before the date of expiry of the existing passport or within six months after the date of expiry, without any additional documentation and additional fee.

This is quoted from chicago consulate general of India website. So I just need to bring my passport and no further documentations need be made?

Further what is the affidavit that I need to sign?