Add Passport renewal experience at Indian Consular Offices in US

Are you a GC holder?

I was reading this forum and could not find any information on how to change my 20 year Indian passport to 10 year validity. Hence, I am posting here my experience. I got my Indian passport with 20 year validity in 1997. Now I changed my 20 year passport to 10 year validity in 2007 since some countries do not accept 20 year valid passports ( USA accepts 20 year Indian passports). My experience with New York consulate was good. I sent in all the documents and fees on 28th of February through express mail and they received it on the next day 1st of March at 11:00 am. I got my old passport with my valid US visa and new passport back by express mail on 8th of March at 11:30 am. They also returned the passport fee of $40 since the service for changing 20 year passport to 10 year passport is free. After reading the forums I was also worried about the processing times, but New York cosulate is pretty good.

I also am facing similar situation. however, are you a GC Holder? it seems that if you are a gc holder or if your old passport was issues in USA then you dont require clearance and if you require clearance from India it takes 6 weeks.... so i was wondering if i will go for renewal, will it be faster like you?

By any chance do you know if you required clearnace from india ? or who require clearnace from india in which case to get a new pp takes long time. or if you have green card then its done faster. So i was wondering if you are a gc holder?

was a new pp issued for change of surname?
are you going to apply for new visa stamp\I94 using new pp?

hai,

yes, new passport was issued with a name change. but they will send the old passport cancelling all the pages except the visa/I94. you can use the visa in the old passport. you have to carry both the passports when u travel.

what were the documents submitted for change of last surname?
did you need to make an affidavit for change of last name or just marriage certificate was enough?
hai,

yes, new passport was issued with a name change. but they will send the old passport cancelling all the pages except the visa/I94. you can use the visa in the old passport. you have to carry both the passports when u travel.

Getting service through mail - its bad if you want to track

Consulate customer service is very poor... No body picks-up the phone... no reply for mail... website is also not that well organized to provide clear information... no where its mentioned what is the waiting time... no way to get the status...

Probably we believe in maintaining books... we provide everything... but in reality we lack because not efficently implemented...

As such I have nothing bad to say for consulate.. because.. once I visited consulate camp at dallas... 5-people handled more than 300 application in one day... amazing... can understand, how somebody can give good customer service, if has to work this much with few manpower...

Overall required to improve customer service... employ people in ratio to work... will also resolves India's employment problem...

Positive passport renewal experience in Chicago

Here is my experience regarding my passport renewal:

Went personally to the Chicago consulate 03/13. I was told by the guy at the counter to only expect it "after April 5th", which is over 3 weeks, while the website says that it only takes 2 weeks.

Received passport today 03/21
Total time: 8 days

Renewed for 10 years, no hitches.

I paid $55 by cashiers check: $40 for renewal + $15 for express delivery

They are not using USPS any more. I filled out a form for UPS 2nd Day Air when I asked for express delivery.

A tip I have is for every one is to note down the tracking number for the UPS from the form they give you to fill. This will help you track the package to know when they have shipped it out. Despite the fact that the guy told to expect it in April, I started checking on the UPS website to know whether it was shipped or not. If they havent shipped it yet, the UPS tracker will tell you that the number isnt recognized or that the package has not been picked up yet.

Renewal of passport at Chicago consulate

My passport is due to expire in July 2007. I sent my old passport with all supporting documents to the Chicago consulate through express mail on 16th March. How much time does it normally take to get your new passport? It is frustrating that no one at the consulate picks up the calls and no where I can check my online status?

Has anyone had a similar experience? What's the best way to check our application status?

it seems that fees for renewing were required even though the website says that no fees is required for renewing passport if done within a year of expiry of old pp.
what other docs did you take with you?

Went personally to the Chicago consulate 03/13. I was told by the guy at the counter to only expect it "after April 5th", which is over 3 weeks, while the website says that it only takes 2 weeks.

They are not using USPS any more. I filled out a form for UPS 2nd Day Air when I asked for express delivery.

A tip I have is for every one is to note down the tracking number for the UPS from the form they give you to fill. This will help you track the package to know when they have shipped it out. Despite the fact that the guy told to expect it in April, I started checking on the UPS website to know whether it was shipped or not. If they havent shipped it yet, the UPS tracker will tell you that the number isnt recognized or that the package has not been picked up yet.

questions

Hey buddy,
I had a few questions about the passport renewal at the Chicago consulate. It'd be great if you could answer them:
- What all documents do you actually need ? The website says:

B. Renewal of Short Validity Passport - (passports initially issued for less than 10 yr validity, except in case of minor children):

1. Misc Services form , duly filled in and signed (no column left blank)

2. Passport in original & copy of first two and last two pages (plus any page containing an important observation).

3. Photographs: Two recent photographs against white background only

4. Notarised copy of Pmt Resident Card(both sides) or Employment authorization card or HI/B1 etc visa

5. Proof of residence i.e. copy of utility bill or Dr Licence orLease Deed etc

6. Affidavit, duly notarized (not required if the passport issued from CGI Chicago)

7. Fee: $ 20/- (if current passport not issued from Chicago. If current passport issued from Chicago: no fee )

8. Mailing Fee: $ 15/- for express ($ 1/- for each addl passport), $ 6/- for Certified mail – not applicable in case of pick-up from the Consulate.

Mode of Payment: In person : Cash or Cashier Check or Postal/Money Order only.
By mail : Cashier Check or Postal/Money Order only.

9. Processing Time: Via Mail: 15 working days plus transit time in mail, both ways.

- Is this what you also sent ? Do you have to prepare an affadavit? If so, what do you write in it? And do you have to get your stuff notarized ?

- Is there a renewal fee ? You said you paid $40, but the website says its $20 but I've read at other consulates' website (New york city,San Francisco) that there is no fee at all. So how much do you actually pay ?

- Also, which form do you fill in ? I assume the Miscealleaneous Services form as per the website, but that form doesnt even have a mention about "renewal" in it, and others consulates' (New york city,San Francisco) have a special form for renewal.

It'd be great if you could answer these questions as I'm really confused.

Thanks,
Gulab

Last edited by a moderator:
The poster mentioned that he visited the consulate in person (I assumed he took all the originals with him).
Even chicago consulate says that it does not require any fees for renewal; but if you pay them anyways, they are not going to return any fees. So, if they accept cash, take enough with you and pay by cash.
Hey buddy,
I had a few questions about the passport renewal at the Chicago consulate. It'd be great if you could answer them:
- What all documents do you actually need ? The website says:

B. Renewal of Short Validity Passport - (passports initially issued for less than 10 yr validity, except in case of minor children):

1. Misc Services form , duly filled in and signed (no column left blank)

2. Passport in original & copy of first two and last two pages (plus any page containing an important observation).

3. Photographs: Two recent photographs against white background only

4. Notarised copy of Pmt Resident Card(both sides) or Employment authorization card or HI/B1 etc visa

5. Proof of residence i.e. copy of utility bill or Dr Licence orLease Deed etc

6. Affidavit, duly notarized (not required if the passport issued from CGI Chicago)

7. Fee: $ 20/- (if current passport not issued from Chicago. If current passport issued from Chicago: no fee )

8. Mailing Fee: $ 15/- for express ($ 1/- for each addl passport), $ 6/- for Certified mail – not applicable in case of pick-up from the Consulate.

Mode of Payment: In person : Cash or Cashier Check or Postal/Money Order only.
By mail : Cashier Check or Postal/Money Order only.

9. Processing Time: Via Mail: 15 working days plus transit time in mail, both ways.

- Is this what you also sent ? Do you have to prepare an affadavit? If so, what do you write in it? And do you have to get your stuff notarized ?

- Is there a renewal fee ? You said you paid $40, but the website says its $20 but I've read at other consulates' website (New york city,San Francisco) that there is no fee at all. So how much do you actually pay ?

- Also, which form do you fill in ? I assume the Miscealleaneous Services form as per the website, but that form doesnt even have a mention about "renewal" in it, and others consulates' (New york city,San Francisco) have a special form for renewal.

It'd be great if you could answer these questions as I'm really confused.

Thanks,
Gulab

what were the documents submitted for change of last surname?
did you need to make an affidavit for change of last name or just marriage certificate was enough?

hai,
you need to fill an affidavit and signed in front of a notary public and get signed by the notary public in the affidavit and also in the photocopy of the marriage certificate and send it with the application.

My passport is due to expire in July 2007. I sent my old passport with all supporting documents to the Chicago consulate through express mail on 16th March. How much time does it normally take to get your new passport? It is frustrating that no one at the consulate picks up the calls and no where I can check my online status?

Has anyone had a similar experience? What's the best way to check our application status?

hai,
I send my passport to Houston, TX on 29th Jan 2007 for a change of surname(after marriage) and i got it back on 13th March 2007. It takes minimum 6 weeks. But as of Chicago Consulate i did not hear it would take this much long. Dont worry you will get ur passport soon. And one more thing there is no other way u can check ur status. Nobody will pick the phone, there wont be a response for ur email. Please dont waste ur time in calling them and sending email. Just wait. All the best.

photo graph requirements for passport renewal at NY

I'm planning to apply for my indian passport renewal (10 yr) at NewYork consulate by mail.

wondering about the photograph and other requirements.

it says 3.5cmX 3.5 cm passport. looks different frm other photograph requirements (2" X 2")? but the space provided for photo in the application form matches 2" X 2". confused. should i use 3.5 cm X 3.5 cm or 2" X 2" ?

is a treaurer's check ( my bank issued a treasurer's check when asked for certified check) acceptable form of payment ?

please advise

thanks

I sent my application on 20th Feb, and received new passport on 29th March, so it takes around 5 to 6 weeks. Don't worry about that, you will receive your passport.

Houston in person ???????

Hi,
I am planning 2 go 2 CGI Houston in person and get my PP renewed.

Just would like to know what documents I have to have for an emergency service ?

Moreover I need to add my spouse name and change address in the PP, will this slow down getting the PP renewed ?

Good old question what is the latest turnaround time for the renewal (in person and / or by mail) ?

Most importantly, can we (being in the HOUSTON jurisdiction - I am from Florida) renew the PP from Washington DC consulate in the case of an emergency ?

PLEASE HELP WITH ANSWERS ATLEAST FOR THE QUESTIONS YOU KNOW THE ANSWER FOR.

I have a H1, my original passport was issued @ chennai, expiry date third week of May 2007, I am from Florida (Houston jurisdiction)

This is my last resort as I have tried and exhausted all the possible means of communication except going in person, so please post your views.
Thanks a lot in advance for all the help,
e_v

did you send the renewal fees? because on the chicago consulate website, it seems that renewal fees of 40$ is waived if you renew within 1 year of expiry date.
Now, if you did send the fees, they are not going to issue refund.
I sent my application on 20th Feb, and received new passport on 29th March, so it takes around 5 to 6 weeks. Don't worry about that, you will receive your passport.

I'm planning to apply for my indian passport renewal (10 yr) at NewYork consulate by mail.

wondering about the photograph and other requirements.

it says 3.5cmX 3.5 cm passport. looks different frm other photograph requirements (2" X 2")? but the space provided for photo in the application form matches 2" X 2". confused. should i use 3.5 cm X 3.5 cm or 2" X 2" ?

is a treaurer's check ( my bank issued a treasurer's check when asked for certified check) acceptable form of payment ?

please advise

thanks

I am having a very bad experience with NY Consulate. I personally went to the consulate on Feb 9th to submit my pp renewal application. I was told I could not recieve the passport on the same day and will need to request by mail due to lot of people showing up at the consulate that day. I paid them $55 ($40 pp renewal fee + $15 express mail fee). Its almost nearing 2 months and I have absolutely no clue about the status of my application. No one answers the phone or replies to my email.
I would suggest you go to the consulate in person to submit and pick your passport - No mail business with these jerks. It's going to be an entire day event so don't tag along your kids/ family along to avoid stress due to long wait times. Consulate stinks and is a rat hole! Shame on the Indian Government for forcing such deplorable conditions on its citizens.

did you send the renewal fees? because on the chicago consulate website, it seems that renewal fees of 40$ is waived if you renew within 1 year of expiry date.
Now, if you did send the fees, they are not going to issue refund.

Yes, I sent $40 + Mailing fees.

surname given name mixup. pls help

Dear Sir/Ma'am ,
Please need urgent advice as iam really scared and confused. My Indian passport had given name and surname gor interchanged. It had my name( given name) in surname's place and my dad's name(surname) as my name- given name. So my Green card also became like that. As my passport was about to be renewed I asked about this confusion to as many people and every one said just keep it like that till you bacme US citizen-which is another 2 1/2 years away.

So when I went to Indian consulate NY, I gave the passport application as it wrongly entered in my passport thinking that keeping it( though wrong) will keep GC and passport names match exactly. Thy asked why it is so and I explained to them that old passport name is like this and GC also like that and asked whether they can give me the given name and surname as it appears in the passportI I know its wrong, I was looking for a quick fix) . The lady in trhe counter looked bit confused and said " OK" and I got my Indian passport renewed exactly like the old one( again the give name surname wrong as the old one). Though it look OK, I know its wrong and it makes me so scared and sad thinking I made mistake. I am scared will they revoke or impound my passport when i am going to India on vaccation soon, saying i committed fraud?? will they prosecute me ?Can I do anything before its late? I am scared to go back to CG NY fearing they will revoke it hearing it .Please advice me. I am so worried.

You are most welcome if you any one write me at gpharie@yahoo.com

your kind advice is highly appreciated
Thanking you
yours truely

Hari:confused:
NJ

Update

I am having a very bad experience with NY Consulate. I personally went to the consulate on Feb 9th to submit my pp renewal application. I was told I could not recieve the passport on the same day and will need to request by mail due to lot of people showing up at the consulate that day. I paid them $55 ($40 pp renewal fee + $15 express mail fee). Its almost nearing 2 months and I have absolutely no clue about the status of my application. No one answers the phone or replies to my email.
I would suggest you go to the consulate in person to submit and pick your passport - No mail business with these jerks. It's going to be an entire day event so don't tag along your kids/ family along to avoid stress due to long wait times. Consulate stinks and is a rat hole! Shame on the Indian Government for forcing such deplorable conditions on its citizens.

Hi,

Any updates on your passport ? I am going on 1st week of may personally.
Is there a queue for it ?

What time should I reach at consulate ?

Thnaks

Sanks