Add Passport renewal experience at Indian Consular Offices in US

Houston Passport delays

This is my Houston Indian consulate experience.
Passport sent for renewal after 10 years on Jan 4.
Passport received by Consulate Jan 6 (delivery confirmation)
No response yet.
Phone line always request me to leave a message.
E-mail is a one-way street too.
They claim it takes 2 weeks on their website.
Anybody knows how I can confirm if my money order has been cashed?

Address wrongly mentioned - Chicago consulate

Today I have received the new passport but my current address mentioned wrongly as MN-48326 where as I am staying in MI.

Ofcourse from Zipcode, State can be identified easily.

Is this a problem ?

I think you can apply for renewal 1 year in advance of the pp expiry. It appears that the pp is renewed in about a month or 2 at most. In this case, do you lose the 8-10 months that your old pp was valid.
For example:
pp expires 1-Feb-08. Person sends in application 1-Feb-07 for renewal. The consulate issues new pp on 1-Mar-07 valid upto 1-mar-17 and cancels the old pp. This person lost approximately 11 months of time for which his old pp was valid. Is this true?
Or they send back your pp if applied so much in advance of the expiry?
babu95 said:
Today I have received passport from Chicago Consulate:

Timelines:
Passport sent on Dec 15th 2006
They received it on Jan 5th 2007 (I think Christmas & New year delay)
I received the passport on Feb 2nd 2007 (Overnight)

I still believe there should be some proper response system at the Consulate

can you post your timeline such as old pp expiry date and then the issue and expiry date for the new pp?

did you end up losing some time on your old pp?
babu95 said:
Today I have received passport from Chicago Consulate:

Timelines:
Passport sent on Dec 15th 2006
They received it on Jan 5th 2007 (I think Christmas & New year delay)
I received the passport on Feb 2nd 2007 (Overnight)

I still believe there should be some proper response system at the Consulate

tusharvk said:
can you post your timeline such as old pp expiry date and then the issue and expiry date for the new pp?

did you end up losing some time on your old pp?
====================

This is my daughter's passport.

old passport Expiry date - April 18th 2007

New passport Issued on January 23rd 2007
Expiry date January 22nd 2012.

Yeah we lost close to 3 months on old passport.

:mad:
Sent my passport for renewal on Jan 6th 2007. They recieved on Jan 8th 2007. After that no response.(email, phone). Worst customer service.

Received renewed passport - 1 month 5 days

I just thought I would provide the wait time for me for renewing my passport:
Sent on Jan 4, Received by Houston consulate Jan 6, Received fedex Feb 9.

TOTAL WAIT TIME: 36 EXCRUCIATING DAYS.

I was unable to contact then in the meantime. Maybe - waiting is the best approach. -

not troubled now :)

how long before the expiry of your old pp did you apply for your pp renewal?
I just thought I would provide the wait time for me for renewing my passport:
Sent on Jan 4, Received by Houston consulate Jan 6, Received fedex Feb 9.

TOTAL WAIT TIME: 36 EXCRUCIATING DAYS.

I was unable to contact then in the meantime. Maybe - waiting is the best approach. -

not troubled now :)

Hi there,

I applied for my renewal on Jan 19, 2007 to the Chicago Indian Consulate, by mistake I sent it by "First Class", so no way to track if and when they recieved. Called to get an update and no response and left VM and emails. Does anyone have the same experience and what is next. I made a mistake, but will they still renew the passport or it is considered lost. I have seen others who sent it by registered are having this many problem.

Can some one give me a feedback as to what is next. Should I place a police complaint and apply for a new one.

I did walk-in passport renewal (Indian Consulate, NY).

I got passport back same day. They are also giving old passport back.

Consulate at NY and Embassy at Dc are pretty good for passports. I renewed at Dc. I went personally, submit the passport and deposit money to send it by express mail. I received it in less than a week.

how many days before the expiry of your old pp did you apply?
Consulate at NY and Embassy at Dc are pretty good for passports. I renewed at Dc. I went personally, submit the passport and deposit money to send it by express mail. I received it in less than a week.

I'm going to renew my passport since it expires July of this year at Chicago consulate. From reading the forums it seems the Chicago consulate is efficient and doesnt cause too many problems.
Any words of advice regarding this.
I am planning to go in person and if possible getting it the same day. Is there to get same day processing?
Thanks.

please post your exp after you are done. it appears from the website of the consulate that if you renew within 1yr-6months before the expiry, it is free and does not require any documentations.
I'm going to renew my passport since it expires July of this year at Chicago consulate. From reading the forums it seems the Chicago consulate is efficient and doesnt cause too many problems.
Any words of advice regarding this.
I am planning to go in person and if possible getting it the same day. Is there to get same day processing?
Thanks.

Changed my 20 year valid Indian passport to 10 year validity

I was reading this forum and could not find any information on how to change my 20 year Indian passport to 10 year validity. Hence, I am posting here my experience. I got my Indian passport with 20 year validity in 1997. Now I changed my 20 year passport to 10 year validity in 2007 since some countries do not accept 20 year valid passports ( USA accepts 20 year Indian passports). My experience with New York consulate was good. I sent in all the documents and fees on 28th of February through express mail and they received it on the next day 1st of March at 11:00 am. I got my old passport with my valid US visa and new passport back by express mail on 8th of March at 11:30 am. They also returned the passport fee of $40 since the service for changing 20 year passport to 10 year passport is free. After reading the forums I was also worried about the processing times, but New York cosulate is pretty good.

Thanks for the info regarding the possibility... I will look into that. Since that might be the case, I am not taking a cashiers check but paying in cash, though I thought a cashiers check might be better as proof of payment

Chicago consulate mentions that passport can be renewed with no fees or documentations as long as the renewal is done 1 year before or atmost 6 months after expiry of old pp.
I wonder how true this is. Can you shade light on this topic?

did you send just pp or additional docs and\fees?

====================

This is my daughter's passport.

old passport Expiry date - April 18th 2007

New passport Issued on January 23rd 2007
Expiry date January 22nd 2012.

Yeah we lost close to 3 months on old passport.

spouse name change in PP

Has anybody changed the first, middle and last name in the passport on account of marriage in indian consulates in US?
The spouse passport having been issued prior to marriage had her maiden name and now it is required to change both the first and last names due to marriage.

Any experiences\comments\suggestions will be appreciated.

Has anybody changed the first, middle and last name in the passport on account of marriage in indian consulates in US?
The spouse passport having been issued prior to marriage had her maiden name and now it is required to change both the first and last names due to marriage.

Any experiences\comments\suggestions will be appreciated.

Hai,

I send my passport to Houston,TX on 29th Jan 2007 for a change of sur name (last name or maiden name) after marriage and i got my old and with change of name in the new passport today(i.e 13 March 2007). It takes 6 to 7 weeks to get back ur passports. I dont know about changing the first name.

was a new pp issued for change of surname?
are you going to apply for new visa stamp\I94 using new pp?
Hai,

I send my passport to Houston,TX on 29th Jan 2007 for a change of sur name (last name or maiden name) after marriage and i got my old and with change of name in the new passport today(i.e 13 March 2007). It takes 6 to 7 weeks to get back ur passports. I dont know about changing the first name.