• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Ghana Selectees

Embassy – Accra, Ghana
Timelines: eDv registration- 15th November 2017
1NL: checked on 18th May 2018
2NL: 27th sept 2018
Interview date: 1st Nov 2018
Passports returned: 22nd Nov 2018
Above are our timelines.
Before Interview
First we are a couple, both professionals with one kid. Soon After we received the 1NL we completed the DS 260 and submitted same on the 24th May 2018. After successful submission, I started googling and searching for every bit of information I could get, mainly because this was our first try in the DV lottery program and we knew next to nothing! Yes, next to nothing. Fortunately I chanced on Britsimonsays.com and I extensively read through all of his articles and comments for the next 2 months. I gained enormous insight through his website for which I must say I’m very grateful. I again chanced on the immigration forum hosted by the Law offices and also became and active reader. I read through the DV experiences of previous winners from Ghana from 2013 – 2018. It was an uphill task but I knew I had to do that to be successful. After gathering so much information, next was to patiently wait for our case to become current and for us to receive the 2NL.
Our case finally became current mid - September 2018 and received our 2NL on the 27th of September 2018. Interview was in 5 weeks! We knew it was time to act now.
We went to the Police Head Quarters for the CID report on the 9th of October. Spent roughly 2hrs there and were told to pick up the report on the 26th of October. We then followed it with our medicals on the 19th of October – pick up date was on the 31st October 2018.
We then proceeded to gathering our documents and photocopies for the big day. This is what we took to the interview:
1NL
2NL
DS 260 Confirmation page
SSCE diploma
University Certificates
Professional body certificates
Passport
Birth certificate
Marriage certificate
Pay stubs
Bank statements
American sized passport pictures
Medical Report
Police report
Interview fee ($330/ applicant)

Day of the interview
Got to the Embassy around 6:30 am. There were close to 40 people hanging around the embassy waiting for the day to been. After a short while, a security officer approached us and instructed those with appointments to form a queue in front of the main entrance. Our appointments were subsequently confirmed by another officer. Next was the security check point. We went through routine security checks and were ushered into the hallway. Right at the entrance of the hallway, we were asked to present our DS 260 confirmation notice and in return were given a tag. We took a seat and waited for further directives. There were quite a number who were in for various appointments. After about 20mins we were called alongside other DV winners to a window for briefing. Once that was done we headed straight to make payment at the cashier.
We were thereafter called to another window and asked to present our documents for sorting out. It took about 5 – 10 mins. Once that as done, we were asked to sit down and wait for the interview itself.
After 15mins were called to a window and met male CO. We exchange pleasantries and this is what transpired.
CO: Raise your hands to take the oath after me ….
WE: followed through
CO: congratulations, you guys are really lucky people!
We: just smiling, not sure why he said that. Perhaps winning on our first Try or probably because we just received our 5 yrs. B1/B2 visas just a year ago. We don’t really know, honestly
CO: where in the US are you going?
We: Answered
CO: very cold this year round. You guys better get some warm clothing. He asked how long we have been married for and we did answer. He then started chit - chatting with our son whether he’d to go to the US and whether he’d love to do his job and started sharing experiences from his job. It was quite an interesting chat and we smiled along.

Finally he said congratulations I’m approving all three Visas right now, unfortunately I have to cancel your B1B2 visas to give you something which will enable you to live and work permanently in the US.
We: No problem sir!
CO takes a stamps and cancels our visas and scribbles a circle on a sheet of paper directing us how we can create an account on the ustraveldocs website and adds, “Do not make any travel plans before receiving your docs, Welcome to the USA and have a nice day!
We: Thank you sir and have a great day too.

Whole episode lasted 3 minutes! We stepped out to breathe a huge sigh of relief and to thank God for a great day.
Once again, our immense gratitude goes to Britsimons for selflessly devoting his time and resources to helping people all across the globe. Few people will do that. I hope to contribute a token in due time.
Also to amazing contributors like Mom, and Susieqqq. God bless for your time and patience for us.

Hello , I think VB for February interview is out. My wife is a winner of 2019 lottery and her number is 16XXX . i was expecting to have our case due in February but the difference looks very small , i'm sure because of the back log from January interviewers . Brit please what is your take ?

Hi,am new here.
i congratulate you all for your selection.
Let us continue to help each other with all vital informations and i know GOD will see us through.
All those who have shared their experience in this forum,we appreciate it.
God bless us all.

Please I am a diploma nurse and I want to find out the education level to choose during the eDV entry. Can I choose university degree since there is no section for diploma holders. Thank you

Please I am a diploma nurse and I want to find out the education level to choose during the eDV entry. Can I choose university degree since there is no section for diploma holders. Thank you

Nursing diploma is not equivalent to a university degree. You’ll need to select HS. Anyway, the educational level indicated on the eDV registration has no bearing on the selection process, it is however a good idea to provide truthful information regardless.

Guys wanted to let you all know that the accra embassy this year is denying a lot of dv applicant . Most of them on educational grounds. Soo we all should be on our guard and prepare adequately. Thank you
Does that mean some winners are not meeting the minimum educational requirements or submitting fraudulent documents (Waec certifcates)

Guys me and my family got approved this morning, will share the experience later. Lots of people I met today got approved as well contrary to what this @Shellockray is saying. Like Simon has always being saying, prepare well and just tell the TRUTH. My CO told me and my family of 3 that we prepared very well for the interview and thus he's approving our visas.

Don't let anyone lie to you here, the best advise comes from Brit and the senior moderators here. Thanks everyone and wish ya'll the best of luck.
Great stuff
Congrats

Hello Guys

I need input on this issue please.
So myself and my wife are married in another country in 2017.
We were issued certificate by the church for both customary and white weddings and we have all pictures for both customary and white wedding

We applied for dv 2020 as married.
I recently decided to go for another certificate of marriage from the home affairs department of from the country and I have informed that the church we had our wedding which is the church of pentecostal isn't registered with the home affairs departments.
so the only solution will be for us to remarry officiated by a certified pastor with the home affairs depart mentioned fore we can receive a legal marriage certificate.

We don't have a problem doing this but my issue is that, should anyone of us be selected in May 2019 when the results are out, what date for marriage should we use now since we have will have 2 certificates, one from the church and one from home affairs which is rather legal?

Hello Guys

I need input on this issue please.
So myself and my wife are married in another country in 2017.
We were issued certificate by the church for both customary and white weddings and we have all pictures for both customary and white wedding

We applied for dv 2020 as married.
I recently decided to go for another certificate of marriage from the home affairs department of from the country and I have informed that the church we had our wedding which is the church of pentecostal isn't registered with the home affairs departments.
so the only solution will be for us to remarry officiated by a certified pastor with the home affairs depart mentioned fore we can receive a legal marriage certificate.

We don't have a problem doing this but my issue is that, should anyone of us be selected in May 2019 when the results are out, what date for marriage should we use now since we have will have 2 certificates, one from the church and one from home affairs which is rather legal?

You need to get selected first. There’s no guarantee either of you will be selected. In the interim, you should probably go ahead ahead with another ceremony officiated by a recognized personnel.

What about this? I read at britsimons website

"If you have educational documents that do not match your name/DOB in some way, you should think how you can prove the educational certificates are yours. Gather whatever proof you can of school attendance to reassure the CO that the certificates you are presenting are your certificates."

Any suggestions??