What needs to be done after oath?

Spam is monitored and removed, however it requires human intervention and a little bit of patience on our side. If you find a post that is spam you can click on the symbol that looks like a traffic yield sign and report the message to the administrators of the board. No need to reply to the post, just click on the report post sign and report the message.

Thank you

Spam is monitored and removed, however it requires human intervention and a little bit of patience on our side. If you find a post that is spam you can click on the symbol that looks like a traffic yield sign and report the message to the administrators of the board. No need to reply to the post, just click on the report post sign and report the message.

Thank you for your help

I did apply for a status update (in person) after oath .. it takes a few minutes .. Thanks

To change the immigration status with Social Security without name change, do we have to fill-out or submit an SS-5 Form? What proofs or documents do we have to bring?

Last edited by a moderator:
To change the immigration status with Social Security without name change, do we have to fill-out or submit an SS-5 Form? What proofs or documents do we have to bring?
If your current SS card still has the employment restriction written on it, you need to bring the SS-5 form to the SS office along with your naturalization certificate or passport so they will send you an updated card without the restriction, in addition to updating your status.

If you already got an updated SS card before citizenship, I don't think you'll need the SS-5 form; they should be able to update your status without bothering with the form.

That is a false myth and a disservice to democracy. Jury duty lists are drawn from multiple sources, the voter registration is just one of them. I got jury duty letters before I naturalized, so that is sufficient proof that it doesn't matter if you are registered to vote or not you might get a letter for jury duty. I think one can vote absentee, so why not do it? If you are living abroad what is the problem? They are not going to send you a letter to come to the US to serve in a jury. I have to acknowledge that it frustrates me a lot when I see people advising others not to register to vote to avoid jury duty. That's just a MYTH!
I know its a dumb question .... but how and where do you register to vote ? Do I have to mail any form or do it in person somewhere (in Atlanta)?

If your current SS card still has the employment restriction written on it, you need to bring the SS-5 form to the SS office along with your naturalization certificate or passport so they will send you an updated card without the restriction, in addition to updating your status.

If you already got an updated SS card before citizenship, I don't think you'll need the SS-5 form; they should be able to update your status without bothering with the form.

Thank you Jackolantern, I don't have any restrictions on my SS card so I'll just bring the documents you mentioned above and not to worry about SS-5 form.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know its a dumb question .... but how and where do you register to vote ? Do I have to mail any form or do it in person somewhere (in Atlanta)?

I believe all libraries have voter registration forms. Otherwise you can search on the web for your county registrar of voters and they should also have forms online that you can print and fill out and send by mail. If you have a library nearby I would start from there.

I think for Atlanta you could start from here:

http://www.sos.georgia.gov/Elections/

We went and updated our status yesterday here at Grandprairie, TX which is the only office serving the DFW area. No name change and employment restrictions on the card in our case. Just status update from PR to USC. We were still asked to complete the SS-5 form. Just FYI.

We went and updated our status yesterday here at Grandprairie, TX which is the only office serving the DFW area. No name change and employment restrictions on the card in our case. Just status update from PR to USC. We were still asked to complete the SS-5 form. Just FYI.

I see, good to know, thanks for posting this:)

Is it essential to update the social security record w/ the new citizenship status?

There is no requirement to update alien/citizenship status change with the SSA.

Unless you are planning to leave US and start receiving retirement in foreign country - there is no need to update status. SSA will not mail retirement to US embassy if you are not USC.

There is no requirement to update alien/citizenship status change with the SSA.
The SSA web site says there is that requirement, although there is no mention of a deadline to do it or penalties for not doing it.

However, failing to update your status with them could cause some hassles for you, because in some states for voter registration they verify citizenship status with the SSA and can remove you from the voters list if the SSA says you are not a citizen. And the eVerify system also does some cross-checks with the SSA database, resulting in some naturalized citizens having trouble with their employers until they update their citizenship status with the SSA.

I know for sure that SSI rates differ in New York between citizens and LPRs. In NY the state contributes a little in addition to the federal amount. The state contribution does make a difference between citizen and LPR.

It is the myth that there are differences in benefits. Benefits are same for LPRs and USC.