What needs to be done after oath?

Most state DMVs do not track citizenship status. Only update your DMV with your new citizenship status if your state tracks that information. Your DL usually contains no information about your citizenship status. I would just wait to renew it as normal if your state doesn't typically note citizenship or alien status on the DL.

The REAL ID Act makes it a requirement for states to issue drivers licenses that verify the lawful status of the applicant. For now all states have been granted an extension to implement the REAL ID Act, but eventually it will become a reality.

Is that really that serious if you lose the certificate? Then everything is undone and you end up being worse than an illegal alien?
Of course not. That site is just plain wrong. It talks of using your naturalization certificate as proof of status when starting a job or crossing a border. In fact, a naturalization certificate is not valid proof of citizenship in either case.

The bit about the signature on the certificate is also wrong. The signature has to match that on the photo, not the printed name, and as of last August the requirement is to sign the photo (and hence the certificate) with your usual everyday signature.

Of course not. That site is just plain wrong. It talks of using your naturalization certificate as proof of status when starting a job or crossing a border. In fact, a naturalization certificate is not valid proof of citizenship in either case.

The bit about the signature on the certificate is also wrong. The signature has to match that on the photo, not the printed name, and as of last August the requirement is to sign the photo (and hence the certificate) with your usual everyday signature.

I had my oath yesterday, and was asked to sign on the photo. Am I still required to sign on the signature line?

If you were registered with the consulate of your citizenship (or ex-citizenship), you may want to update them too.

I am scheduled to have my oath on 6/12/2009, after the oath... Is it essential to update the social security record w/ the new citizenship status? Or the update gets done as a routine process (automatically) within the system? Also, would I need to update my Driver’s license record as well to reflect the citizenship’s information... if so... what are proper steps and procedures...Thank you

The REAL ID Act makes it a requirement for states to issue drivers licenses that verify the lawful status of the applicant. For now all states have been granted an extension to implement the REAL ID Act, but eventually it will become a reality.

The REAL ID Act as starting to be implemented in Virginia requires you to prove lawful status in the US only when renewing your DL. As DLs expire, people have to bring documents to the DMW establishing lawful alien status or US citizenship. There is no requirement to update your alien/citizenship status change with the Virginia DMV as of right now.

In an aside, as part of the REAL ID Act implementation in Virginia, smiling for your DL photo is forbidden as of May 2009... :) Apparently, a neutral facial expression is required for the facial recognition software and for multi-year comparisons of the same face.

There's no requirement to do this. You only need to file a new I-9 with your existing employer if there is a change in the end date of your work eligibility. Going from a permanent resident to a citizen does not change this.

There is also no requirement to change your SSN over either, but most people do, but there are still many who don't. These are just things one may want to consider...

Since Voter registration will trigger your name to appear on jury lists, Is it ok to not register to vote specially for people who are not going to live in US?

Since Voter registration will trigger your name to appear on jury lists, Is it ok to not register to vote specially for people who are not going to live in US?

Registering to vote is a personnel choice, not a requirement regardless of where you choose to live.

There is also no requirement to change your SSN over either, but most people do, but there are still many who don't. These are just things one may want to consider...

There's a big difference between notifying the SSA and your employer. The SSA tracks your citizenship status since it is a vital factor in determining whether you are eligible for benefits. On the other hand, your employer typically has no need to, and no right to, track it.

You should definitely notify the SSA. It is very much in your interest. A lot of government offices can access the the SSA database to confirm your citizenship status. Also, many employers are now part of the E-verify program which is based in part on SSA computer records.

That is a false myth and a disservice to democracy. Jury duty lists are drawn from multiple sources, the voter registration is just one of them. I got jury duty letters before I naturalized, so that is sufficient proof that it doesn't matter if you are registered to vote or not you might get a letter for jury duty. I think one can vote absentee, so why not do it? If you are living abroad what is the problem? They are not going to send you a letter to come to the US to serve in a jury. I have to acknowledge that it frustrates me a lot when I see people advising others not to register to vote to avoid jury duty. That's just a MYTH!

On the other hand, your employer typically has no need to, and no right to, track it.

Well since employment authorization is based on your immigration status and employers are responsible for collection this information on I-9, they do track your citizenship status as part of audit process. For example, if you start with employer X in 2007 under GC that expires in 2010, but have obtained citizenship in 2009 the employer will most likely ask for your employment authorization status again in 2010. Once they are made aware that you are a citizen, they would no longer ask for employment authorization.

Well since employment authorization is based on your immigration status and employers are responsible for collection this information on I-9, they do track your citizenship status as part of audit process. For example, if you start with employer X in 2007 under GC that expires in 2010, but have obtained citizenship in 2009 the employer will most likely ask for your employment authorization status again in 2010. Once they are made aware that you are a citizen, they would no longer ask for employment authorization.
I disagree. Employers are forbidden in most cases from discriminating based on someones immigration and citizenship status. They are required to verify an employee's eligibility to work on the day they are hired and if that eligibility is time-bound (such as with a visa or EAD) then they must reverify the extended eligibility prior to the original end date. A permanent resident has a perpetual right to work with no end-date so once an I-9 has been verified with a green card then that is it - the actual green card expiring has nothing to do with this. Since at this point your employer already knows you are authorized to work without an end date no further I-9 reverification is needed.

Bobsmyth, I don't think the employer has a right to ask you again for proof of employability at the time your GC expires. Permanent resident means permanent resident, not resident until the GC expires ;) That would be akin to ask US citizens to prove they can work in the US at the time their passport expires, if that's what they used for proof of employability :)

I have never heard of a requirement to update I-9, but there is no harm on it. As I mentioned earlier I did that myself. However, I still think it is a very optional thing to do.

Bobsmyth, I don't think the employer has a right to ask you again for proof of employability at the time your GC expires. Permanent resident means permanent resident, not resident until the GC expires ;) That would be akin to ask US citizens to prove they can work in the US at the time their passport expires, if that's what they used for proof of employability :)

I have never heard of a requirement to update I-9, but there is no harm on it. As I mentioned earlier I did that myself. However, I still think it is a very optional thing to do.

I'm not saying you are required to update your I-9, but rather that your employer has the right to reverify your immigration status.
GCs have expiration dates on them and as such employers have the right to re verify employment authorization once the document expired. I know that permanent residency itself does not expire, but the GC document itself has an expiration date. Do you really think employers are aware that permanent residency doesn't expire when the GC does?

ICE audits employers for employment authorization and if they notice expired documents, they will let the employer know that they must make sure the I-9 contains updated information.

http://www.nilc.org/immsemplymnt/ircaempverif/tpstoolkit/QA_reverification_2006-07.pdf

A permanent resident has a perpetual right to work with no end-date so once an I-9 has been verified with a green card then that is it - the actual green card expiring has nothing to do with this.

Since I-9 forms contain the expiry date of those documents, the employer is responsible for reverifying the status of those with expired GCs. Good luck telling an employer they must accept your expired GC since you're perpetually bound to work in the US.

If you present employment eligibility
documents that have expiration dates, the
employer will write those dates on the I-9 form.
On or near those dates, the employer may ask you
again to present documents that show you are still
eligible to work. This is called “reverification.”

http://www.nilc.org/immsemplymnt/ircaempverif/tpstoolkit/QA_reverification_2006-07.pdf

Bobsmyth,

From the link you provided:

Q: Under what circumstances is it not okay
for my employer to reverify my eligibility
to work?

A: There are a few circumstances when an employer
may not reverify your employment eligibility.
Employers should not reverify your eligibility to
work if you are a lawful permanent resident and
presented your “green card” when you first filled
out the I-9 form (even though your green card has
an expiration date), because your status as a
lawful permanent resident does not expire.

I rest my case ;)

Bobsmyth,

From the link you provided:

Q: Under what circumstances is it not okay
for my employer to reverify my eligibility
to work?

A: There are a few circumstances when an employer
may not reverify your employment eligibility.
Employers should not reverify your eligibility to
work if you are a lawful permanent resident and
presented your “green card” when you first filled
out the I-9 form (even though your green card has
an expiration date), because your status as a
lawful permanent resident does not expire.

I rest my case ;)
I stand corrected. I wonder how many employees know that their employer should not reverify status for permanent residents, yet do anyways.
This also brings up the question of if an employer can accept a GC with an expired date on it.

Bobsmyth,

There are a couple of twists to your question:

1. If one is a permanent resident with an expired GC, but otherwise has a valid driver license and a social security card without restrictions, one can get employment without having to show the expired GC, just writing the A number in the appropriate field in the I-9.
2. I think the latest I-9 doesn't allow for expired documents, so if one neglected getting a new social security card without restrictions it might be possible to be in tough luck and not being able to start working because of the expired GC.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

I could only find this exception in the employers handbook:

An expired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) and Form I-797 “Notice of Action” from USCIS stating that the Permanent Resident Card has been extended for 1 year
Conditional Lawful Permanent Resident who has applied to have his or her conditional status removed
Employment authorization (List C)
1 year from the original expiration date on the I-551

Apparently only conditional lawful permanent residents can have this "sort of" exception for 1 year, and that apparently only counts as List C document, not List A as an unexpired GC will be.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/m-274.pdf