What needs to be done after oath?

I stand corrected. I wonder how many employees know that their employer should not reverify status for permanent residents, yet do anyways.
This also brings up the question of if an employer can accept a GC with an expired date on it.
It's interesting that the previous sentence uses the phrase "may not", but then the one you quote uses "should not". The first form implies they are not allowed to (which I think is the real intent), whereas the second suggests that they might be allowed to but don't have to. I suspect this is sloppy wording by USCIS.

As for using an expired GC, as of the most recent I-9 version no expired documents are allowed. However, as "Huracan" says, you may have other valid documents that can be used instead.

The REAL ID Act makes it a requirement for states to issue drivers licenses that verify the lawful status of the applicant. For now all states have been granted an extension to implement the REAL ID Act, but eventually it will become a reality.
It's not necessarily true that it will become a reality. The Federal government cannot force states to implement REAL ID, and so far about 20 states have rejected it.

What the Federal government can do is say that in areas of Federal jurisdiction like airports and Federal buildings, they won't accept driver's licenses and state IDs of states that are not REAL ID compliant. Residents of those noncompliant states would have to use something else like a US passport or green card or machine-readable visa.

In addition, Janet Napolitano who opposed REAL ID when she was a governor, is in discussions with Congress and Obama regarding relaxing some of the restrictions involving REAL ID (like possibly allowing people to enter a Federal building with a noncompliant ID).

Of course not. That site is just plain wrong. It talks of using your naturalization certificate as proof of status when starting a job or crossing a border. In fact, a naturalization certificate is not valid proof of citizenship in either case.
That page was correct when written but it is outdated. The Natz certificate used to be proof of employment eligibility, but was removed from the I-9 list within the past year or two. Also, this paragraph below shows how old it is ... when it was written, INS apparently was still in the process of being reorganized into CIS/ICE/CBP.

Furthermore, with the INS being reorganized as Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), there is an added risk that the INS may accidentally destroy, alter, or lose your naturalization records. This would leave your Certificate of Naturalization as the only genuine proof that you became a US citizen.

There is not an absolute prohibition on reverifying permanent residents when their GC expires. The employers are allowed to that, but if they do that they must reverify everybody whose documents have expired since commencing employment including citizens (i.e. reverifying when their passport or DL expires).

The link I provided states that employers should not ask for reverifying PRs whose GCs expire, nor should they ask for reverification of expired DLs and provides measures to file a complaint if one feels that they have been discriminated against by being required to reverify employment authorization due to those expired documents. Whether this complaint process actually does anything is another question.

The link I provided states that employers should not ask for reverifying PRs whose GCs expire, nor should they ask for reverification of expired DLs and provides measures to file a complaint if one feels that they have been discriminated against by being required to reverify employment authorization due to those expired documents. Whether this complaint process actually does anything is another question.
"Should not" is not the same as "Shall not". I'll try to find where it says they may choose to reverify documents for LPRs and citizens if they are consistent with doing it across the board including citizens. Where some employers tend to err is that they reverify for LPRs but not citizens.

Edit: the closest thing I could find was on page 10 of an old M-274.pdf regarding treating employees the same across the board. But I can't find anything specifically about reverifying LPRs and citizens being allowed and don't remember where I read it so I'll back off from that position unless I find a proper document to substantiate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a false myth and a disservice to democracy. Jury duty lists are drawn from multiple sources, the voter registration is just one of them. I got jury duty letters before I naturalized, so that is sufficient proof that it doesn't matter if you are registered to vote or not you might get a letter for jury duty. I think one can vote absentee, so why not do it? If you are living abroad what is the problem? They are not going to send you a letter to come to the US to serve in a jury. I have to acknowledge that it frustrates me a lot when I see people advising others not to register to vote to avoid jury duty. That's just a MYTH!

The two common sources are the Voters registration and Drivers Licencing. I was lucky enough to actually get called on twice in one year. I couldn't figure out why until I contacted the Jury Hotline. Turned out I used a shortened name on my Voters Registration then I did on my Drivers Licence and they told me because the names were different the computers automatically listed me as another person. So they told me to avoid the possibility of this in the future I need to make both the same.

And yes I was getting Jury summons when I was working on a TN status because of the drivers licence...

Edit: the closest thing I could find was on page 10 of an old M-274.pdf regarding treating employees the same across the board. But I can't find anything specifically about reverifying LPRs and citizens being allowed and don't remember where I read it so I'll back off from that position unless I find a proper document to substantiate it.

Maybe it was in this outdated handbook on the OSHA website? See page 4.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/epub/wageindex.download?p_file=F6844/I9_Handbook.pdf

Certainly not. The certificate can be replaced, if it lost or damaged, by filing an N-565 form with USCIS. Also, once you get a U.S. passport, it also serves as a proof of U.S. citizenship and is sufficient for almost all future purposes. In fact, in some situations, even apart from travel, only a U.S. passport can be used but not a naturalization certificate. For example, if you change employment and have to file an I-9 form with your employer, a U.S. passport is considered an acceptable document for proving your citizenship status but a naturalization certificate is not. In any event, losing the naturalization certificate certainly does not undo your naturalization. Still, it is indeed a good idea to keep the naturalization certificate in a safe place and to have a few copies of it available (or these days, I suppose, a scanned file).

I am surprised to see that naturalization cert is no good for I-9 form. Why is that? It's good enough to get a passport, and it must be more difficult to fake than an unrestricted SS card is.

H

I am surprised to see that naturalization cert is no good for I-9 form. Why is that? It's good enough to get a passport, and it must be more difficult to fake than an unrestricted SS card is.
One problem with the natz certificate is that there are several different formats of it over the decades and employers have trouble knowing what is genuine and what isn't. So they removed it from the I-9 list.

Of course, the same is true of US birth certificates, which are even worse because they look different not only because of when they were issued, but each state does it differently. However, born citizens far outnumber naturalized citizens both in the voting population and politicians, and the born citizens would get really volatile if they couldn't use their birth certificate, so the government won't dare to remove it from the list even though the same reasons for removing the natz cert also apply to birth certificates.

Based on the above discussions, I am summing up the suggested checks list (with no order)
• Update your status record with SSA, your naturalization certificate or passport will be needed, to be done in person. Some responders viewed this as optional.
• Update your status record with DMV, your naturalization certificate or passport will be needed, to be done in person. Some responders viewed this as optional.
• Register to vote, many debated this... After all, it a personal choice to vote or not... however it is highly encouraged.
• Apply for US passport (book), your naturalization certificate will be needed. Based on the views, it is almost a requirement for your citizenship proof, or at least an uncomplicated method to proof.
• Apply for US passport card (optional, your naturalization certificate will be needed.
• Update your employment status, file I-9 documentation with HR (optional), a debatable option, only your passport can be used.

• Apply for US passport (book), your naturalization certificate will be needed. Based on the views, it is almost a requirement for your citizenship proof, or at least an uncomplicated method to proof.

Not to mention requirement for travel outside the US.

Here is another update, based on the above discussions, I am summing up the suggested checklist (with no order)

• Verify your information in your naturalization certificate, check for any spelling errors or missing data.
• Sign your naturalization certificate.
• Update your status record with SSA, your naturalization certificate or passport will be needed, to be done in person. Some responders viewed this as optional.

• Update your status record with DMV, your naturalization certificate or passport will be needed, to be done in person. Some responders viewed this as optional.

• Register to vote, many debated this... After all, it a personal choice to vote or not... however it is highly encouraged.

• Apply for US passport (book), your original naturalization certificate will be needed. Based on the views, it is almost a requirement for your citizenship proof, or at least an uncomplicated method to proof. It is required for traveling

• Apply for US passport card (optional), your naturalization certificate will be needed.

• Update your employment status, file I-9 documentation with HR (optional), a debatable option, only your passport can be used.

I followed this order after my oath:

1) Verify that certificate has accurate information;
2) Get back home. Sign the certificate with a good pen;
3) Make a good scan of the certificate;
4) Apply for a US passport and passport card immediately at the nearest post office (depending on need for travel you can expedite passport delivery)
5) After you receive passport go to SSA and update status. When E-verify becomes mandatory then having SSA reflect your US citizenship helps to make the E-verify process go smoother.
6) When you receive passport card and certificate store them in a safe place (a bank locker is a good place)

That's it. I did not update DMV since there is no legal requirement to do so in California.

The SSA web site says this is required, but there is no mention there (nor anywhere else that I know of) about any specific deadline for it, or what the penalty is (if any) for not updating it.

That is very state dependent. Each person should follow the requirements of their state. I am not aware of any state DMV that requires updating your citizenship status except when the existing license is about to expire and you are applying for renewal.
• Apply for US passport card (optional), your naturalization certificate will be needed.
If you already have the passport book, you can use it instead of the natz certificate to apply for the passport card.

The SSA web site says this is required, but there is no mention there (nor anywhere else that I know of) about any specific deadline for it, or what the penalty is (if any) for not updating it.

That is very state dependent. Each person should follow the requirements of their state. I am not aware of any state DMV that requires updating your citizenship status except when the existing license is about to expire and you are applying for renewal.

If you already have the passport book, you can use it instead of the natz certificate to apply for the passport card.

Thank you, very good points

This is plainly a spam... and it should not be permitted in this forum

Spam is monitored and removed, however it requires human intervention and a little bit of patience on our side. If you find a post that is spam you can click on the symbol that looks like a traffic yield sign and report the message to the administrators of the board. No need to reply to the post, just click on the report post sign and report the message.