What needs to be done after oath?

Mohd_mizzou

Registered Users (C)
I am scheduled to have my oath on 6/12/2009, after the oath... Is it essential to update the social security record w/ the new citizenship status? Or the update gets done as a routine process (automatically) within the system? Also, would I need to update my Driver’s license record as well to reflect the citizenship’s information... if so... what are proper steps and procedures...Thank you

You'll need to notify social security administration of your change in status to citizen. As for DMV record, you can either try to update your status with them now or when you next renew your DL. Don't forget to register to vote and apply for US passport as well.

Personally I would do the Passport first (then you can travel). Then the SSA (which you can use the passport for as evidence). I would not bother with the Driver's License til it's time to renew it, depending on how enthusiatic you are about giving your state government more fees. You can register to vote before any of this, though.

You'll need to notify social security administration of your change in status to citizen. As for DMV record, you can either try to update your status with them now or when you next renew your DL. Don't forget to register to vote and apply for US passport as well.

How do you notify the SSA? I guess you have to go to local the SSA office in person?

Personally I would do the Passport first (then you can travel). Then the SSA (which you can use the passport for as evidence). I would not bother with the Driver's License til it's time to renew it, depending on how enthusiatic you are about giving your state government more fees. You can register to vote before any of this, though.
I would suggest SSA first because they will just take a copy of your naturalization certificate, whereas the passport will require the original to be sent. Therefore, if you do the SSA first you can then do the passport in parallel.

Sign your naturalization certificate. That would be the first thing ;) Then it's your choice, you can apply for passport first and once you get it you go and update SSA, or the other way around. I did passport first, and went to SSA with the passport. It is possible that driver license and SSA have some connection, and once you update your status with SSA it might be possible that DMV has also access to this information. Anyway, it doesn't matter, there is no advantage I know of updating DMV about your citizenship status, so I think it is something you can do when you renew your license if they ask for it.

Registering to vote is quite important, you can do it at any time after the oath, in most cases you fill it out during the ceremony and drop it there in a box, that's what I did.

Here in New York, the DMV has the ability to give you an enhanced DL which you will be able use as proof of U.S. citizenship status.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to thank Bobsmyth, JerryR, MasterArcht, dms1, and Huracan for your practical and good suggestions.
Since all traffic stops use DMV records for status check, I would update my SSA status, then DMV records (both systems are not connected), afterward I will apply for pp

Does one neeeds to update I-9 documnetation with HR after citizenship?

I did, but HR was not used to this, i.e. I was probably the first one, and I know a few people who have naturalized at the company.

Some people think it is not really important, as they already have an I-9 with your GC that allows you for permanent employment. I would put this as entirely optional.

I am summing up the suggested check list (with no order)
1. Update your status record with SSA, to be done in person
2. Update your status record with DMV, to be done in person
3. Register to vote
4. Apply for US passport (book)
5. Apply for US passport card (optional)
6. Update your employment status, file I-9 documentation with HR (optional)

Thanks

Is that really that serious if you lose the certificate? Then everything is undone and you end up being worse than an illegal alien?

Certainly not. The certificate can be replaced, if it lost or damaged, by filing an N-565 form with USCIS. Also, once you get a U.S. passport, it also serves as a proof of U.S. citizenship and is sufficient for almost all future purposes. In fact, in some situations, even apart from travel, only a U.S. passport can be used but not a naturalization certificate. For example, if you change employment and have to file an I-9 form with your employer, a U.S. passport is considered an acceptable document for proving your citizenship status but a naturalization certificate is not. In any event, losing the naturalization certificate certainly does not undo your naturalization. Still, it is indeed a good idea to keep the naturalization certificate in a safe place and to have a few copies of it available (or these days, I suppose, a scanned file).

Since all traffic stops use DMV records for status check, I would update my SSA status, then DMV records (both systems are not connected), afterward I will apply for pp

Most state DMVs do not track citizenship status. Only update your DMV with your new citizenship status if your state tracks that information. Your DL usually contains no information about your citizenship status. I would just wait to renew it as normal if your state doesn't typically note citizenship or alien status on the DL.

One less thing to do. Otherwise I would agree with everyone else: passport, employer I-9, SSA, voter registration. The order doesn't really matter, but having a passport covers so many other requirements. Also, voter registration will almost certainly guarantee jury duty letters eventually...and now we can't say we are not citizens anymore... :)

I updated my I-9 with HR. So that's another thing you may want to consider...
There's no requirement to do this. You only need to file a new I-9 with your existing employer if there is a change in the end date of your work eligibility. Going from a permanent resident to a citizen does not change this.