Vorpal's Oath Day -

He may still at the ceremony or holding a big party at his house .... Don't forget the wedding :p

Alert news from Vorpal's spokesperson: He will post this afternoon or evening. Please stay tuned! :)

rumor has it that Vorpal went to the oath ceremony wearing an American flag bandana :) jk i cant wait to hear his news

Ladies and gentlemen, the moment you've all been waiting for....

I arrived at the U.S. Courthouse at 225 Cadman Plaza East at around 8:15. After passing the security screening, I was directed to go to the 2nd Floor and my fiancee was told to go to the cafeteria and wait there. I was ushered into Ceremonial Courtroom 3, which was about half-full by then. When most of the room was full, a diminutive woman with a very commanding presence entered the room and introduced herself as Officer Yee. She informed us that she is in charge of conducting the ceremony (265 applicants were being naturalized today) and making sure that everything goes off without a glitch. There were 2 other IOs in the room, one sitting at a table in front of the judge's seat (she was in charge of the natz certificates) and the other was directing arriving applicants to their seats. When the last of the applicants were seated, Officer Yee directed everyone to fill out the back of the letter and sign it. Here's the real kicker that will hopefully help answer one of the most frequently asked questions on this forum. She went into a mini-speech, emphasizing that she only cared about arrests. She repeated the following no less than 5 times: "If you have traffic tickets, don't even bother! Save your breath! I only want to know if you've been arrested!"

After everyone filled out the letter, the most tedious part of the process began. We were called row by row to the table in the middle of the room, where Officer Yee collected our GCs and other immigration documents. We were then instructed to line up at the other side of the table to check our natz certificates for any possible errors. This process had to have taken no less than 2 hours. After finally getting called to turn in my GC and check my certificate, I went upstairs to the cafeteria to find my fiancee. The cafeteria had a flat screen monitor with a video feed from Courtroom 3, where we could keep an eye on the progress. When the last row was called, I went back downstairs to reclaim my seat and prepare for the moment I've been awaiting for the past year. I made sure to get a voter registration form from one of the volunteers and sat down. There was a speech by a representative from the Human Rights Council, informing us that we can file an official complaint with them if we are ever being discriminated against. About 15 minutes later, we were directed to stand up, as the judge and a court clerk entered the courtroom. The clerk then led us through the Oath of Allegiance and the Pledge of Allegiance, after which the judge welcomed us as new citizens of the United States and gave a short, inspirational speech about the immigrants' contribution to the American society. The IOs then distributed our new certificates in the order which we were called to check them at the beginning of the ceremony and it was all over. As frannod has pointed out in her oath experience, this is a very lengthy ceremony, lasting about 4.5 hours. Then again, it's a very small price to pay for the conclusion of a long and, oftentimes, problematic journey and eternal liberation from the USCIS!

Thus ends my story that began back in 1989, when my family landed at JFK Airport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Vorpal..your days of dealing with USCIS are finally over and you life as a USC has now officially begun.

Let me join the party. Congratulations and the best wishes to you, Vorpal !!! I'll never forget the day you became a USC as it is my wife's birthday (which is very dangerous to forget, FYI).

Thank you, guys, for the well-wishes and the kind words! I can't wait to see everyone's journey end on a happy note!

Triple Citizen, I can't argue with you on that one! :D My family's final destination when we arrived here was Columbus, Ohio. Coming from Moscow, my parents didn't like the small town feel of it, so we ended up in NYC.

Congratulations!! Now you can be able to vote.. Make sure to register to vote now.

wow. 4.5 hours. Is that a new USCIS' record? :)

Congratulations!! Now you can be able to vote.. Make sure to register to vote now.

wow. 4.5 hours. Is that a new USCIS' record? :)

I'm registering to vote today. From what I've heard, 4.5 hours is the usual duration of a court oath ceremony in NYC.

lazycis, happy birthday to your wife!

Thank you, guys, for the well-wishes and the kind words! I can't wait to see everyone's journey end on a happy note!

Triple Citizen, I can't argue with you on that one! :D My family's final destination when we arrived here was Columbus, Ohio. Coming from Moscow, my parents didn't like the small town feel of it, so we ended up in NYC.

Congratulations and best wishes Vorpal. Keep us posted.

udachi!

Congrats to fellow citizen! Did you like the Dubya Bush's speech?:D Поздравляю с получением гражданства!

Cheers.

Congratulations Vorpal, and thanks for the detailed description of the ceremony. It must be hard to believe it's all over!

Where was Officer Yee at the beginning of this process? Her speech would have saved a lot of people a lot of useless worrying.