Vorpal's Oath Day -

Vorpal,

I am very happy for you. Congratulations to you, and to any other folks in this forum who have gotten their citizenships in the last month or two :)

I wish my wife will also get her oath soon. She finished interview in mid-June, passed it, and still waiting for oath letter! (3 months of waiting now!)

Vorpal,

I am very happy for you. Congratulations to you, and to any other folks in this forum who have gotten their citizenships in the last month or two :)

I wish my wife will also get her oath soon. She finished interview in mid-June, passed it, and still waiting for oath letter! (3 months of waiting now!)

3 MONTHS ? :eek::eek:

WHAT DO IS THAT ?

Congratulations Vorpal

and thanks for sharing your experience hope that your passport will arrive soon.

Enjoy your freedom

Thank you again, guys!

To all those who are still waiting, hang in there! It's a truly liberating feeling to know that the process is finally over and the USCIS can be left in the past.

I realized that I forgot to mention a couple of things about the oath ceremony. There was a statement printed at the bottom of the first page of my oath letter, asking to dress properly in order to respect the solemnity of the event. In fact, the same statement specifically asked not to wear jeans, shorts and/or flip flops. Needless to say, quite a few jackasses (I'm sorry, but there's no other term to describe those people) showed in in shorts, flip flops, and sweatpants (I even spotted a couple of cutoff sweatshorts). There was even a girl in brown tights and a ballet tutu. Another thing that my fiancee pointed out to me is that a few people not only didn't say the oath, but they didn't even bother moving their lips. Is it really that difficult to say a few words? The IOs even handed out a sheet with the oath printed on it, so there really is no excuse.

Unfortunately some people naturalise just for the visa free travel. For them, the oath ceremony is just a neccessary evil. Sad, but true :(

Another thing that my fiancee pointed out to me is that a few people not only didn't say the oath, but they didn't even bother moving their lips. Is it really that difficult to say a few words?

Then again, it's a very small price to pay for the conclusion of a long and, oftentimes, problematic journey and eternal liberation from the USCIS!

Amen to that. My man Vorpal congrats bro we are all very happy for you. Don't be a stranger now :)

Thank you again, guys!

To all those who are still waiting, hang in there! It's a truly liberating feeling to know that the process is finally over and the USCIS can be left in the past.

I realized that I forgot to mention a couple of things about the oath ceremony. There was a statement printed at the bottom of the first page of my oath letter, asking to dress properly in order to respect the solemnity of the event. In fact, the same statement specifically asked not to wear jeans, shorts and/or flip flops. Needless to say, quite a few jackasses (I'm sorry, but there's no other term to describe those people) showed in in shorts, flip flops, and sweatpants (I even spotted a couple of cutoff sweatshorts). There was even a girl in brown tights and a ballet tutu. Another thing that my fiancee pointed out to me is that a few people not only didn't say the oath, but they didn't even bother moving their lips. Is it really that difficult to say a few words? The IOs even handed out a sheet with the oath printed on it, so there really is no excuse.

That's very sad. Sometimes I think people like these are a waste of time and space. There's probably several out in the N400 queue who would have been more appreciative of the solemnity of the ceremony and the oath being taken.

Ladies and gentlemen, the moment you've all been waiting for....

. As frannod has pointed out in her oath experience, this is a very lengthy ceremony, lasting about 4.5 hours. Then again, it's a very small price to pay for the conclusion of a long and, oftentimes, problematic journey and eternal liberation from the USCIS!

Thus ends my story that began back in 1989, when my family landed at JFK Airport.

Welcome day old US Citizen. Your journey has ended. Congrats again.

Thank you again, guys!

That is really sad. They probably didn't know that IOs were in the right to invalidate their oaths if they don't repeat what they are suppose to swear for. At least, move your lips guys.

Unfortunately some people naturalise just for the visa free travel. For them, the oath ceremony is just a neccessary evil. Sad, but true :(

I second that, and like Vorpal, I did see some weird dress, mini skirts, flip flops. I was dressed in a suit, and I took the oath to mean something to me.;)

I second that, and like Vorpal, I did see some weird dress, mini skirts, flip flops. I was dressed in a suit, and I took the oath to mean something to me.;)

My original intention was to wear a full suit, but, the moment I stepped outside yesterday morning, I realized that it wasn't happening. The humidity was so thick, you could cut it with a knife, so I left the jacket at home.

Oh yeah....VOTE FOR BOB BARR THIS NOVEMBER!

Last edited by a moderator:
My original intention was to wear a full suit, but, the moment I stepped outside yesterday morning, I realized that it wasn't happening. The humidity was so thick, you could cut it with a knife, so I left the jacket at home.

For who? :eek:
By the way, I did received my voter's ID card, so I'm all set to vote in November... Will I? is another question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly congrats Vorpal !

I intend to wear shirt and tie only for my oath (it's hot here), I did the same for my interview where others wore hawaiian shirts, jeans and flip-flops - go figure...

I will not register next week. This is just a trigger for a jury duty. I have a right to vote, but don't want to.

I will not register next week. This is just a trigger for a jury duty. I have a right to vote, but don't want to.

That's not entirely true. NYS courts use DMV records to pick out potential jurors. If you have a driver license, you've been triggered for jury duty already.

I've been contacted for jury duty twice, even though I'm not a USC yet. Each time I had to send them proof that I was an alien to get out of it.

Of course, it's your right not to vote, but if you don't, hopefully it's because you're not satisfied with the political options.