VISA Information for Countries

cafeconleche, ur right! sorry! I didn't see the 30 days! The 7 days is for those who do not have RTD but have regular NP and GC/Visa right?

I also have one more question which yet needs to be answered. Is it true that you cannot travel on RTD to UAE? I am an asylee and I don't have my GC yet. My NP is still valid and I want to visit UAE in summer. What would be the best option for me? Does this apply to Turkey too?

I think this was already discussed, but if you really want to go to the UAE, then use your NP to enter and leave the UAE and your RTD to enter the US. Better yet, go to Oman or something (if they allow it) and then go by road to the UAE. As for Turkey, they'll issue you a visa on your RTD.

thank u cafeconleche. i talked to my lawyer today and she said that there is nothing wrong with traveling with ur NP as long as you do not travel back to COP and you do not renew it. she said that asylum status might be subject to termination if u have no fundamental fear of persecution, there are major changes in ur COP or u avail urself to ur COP. traveling with NP does not indicate any of these and apparently there is no immigration law against it and it can be done. she did however mention that there is never a guarantee that the immigration officer at the point of entry would let u in until u become a citizen, so nothing is certain.

now my question is, i can travel to turkey visa free because of my nationality. what happens if i want to travel there with my us RTD and apply for a visa?

Quick question guys. Really need your help.

If I have a valid Schengen visa and need to connect in London, do I need a UK visa (or a transit visa)? RTD, no GC. The information on the UK website (their whole visa policy in general, actually) is really confusing. They have a short instant form that you fill out on the website, and I got the following answer:

"If you will be staying in the UK for up to 48 hours before you continue your journey, you will normally need a 'visitor in transit visa'.

However, an Immigration Officer may decide to let you pass through the UK on your way to another country without holding a visa. This is known as 'transit without visa' (TWOV)."

So instead of a "yes" or a "no", I got a "maybe, maybe not" answer :confused:

I just sent them an e-mail question, but I imagine that I won't get an answer until Monday at the earliest. Any of you traveled that route? Please share!

Thanks.

uk does not require transit visa for persons holding a valid us visa status, either immigrant or nonimmigrant.

call the embassy to double check. but i am pretty sure about this.

uk does not require transit visa for persons holding a valid us visa status, either immigrant or nonimmigrant.

call the embassy to double check. but i am pretty sure about this.

right, except for certain nationalities like Iraq, call Embassy or the UK airport itself

Updated list

Want or someone,
I think list has changed now.

Could you please publish updated list of countries that do not require visa for RP + GC.

Hey guys, I started a thread about this, but maybe I should just ask her, because nobody has added anything to the thread. Has anyone been to Croatia using and RP or RTD? Did the IOs know that you didn't need a visa?

Well, I have now been to Croatia on an RP without a visa by plane, out by bus, and in and out again by train, and it's true, no visa is needed, though immigration really doesn't know. Avoid land border crossings, especially late at night, as it can be VERY scary. And, a passport is really a much better document to have in that part of Europe.

Confirmed...singapore doesn't accept RP even if you have GC. I wanted to go out as i had 13 hours of layover, but officers didn't allow me to leave airport. But, anyway it is a nice airport and i enjoyed my stay there.

hey guys,

I'm flying to frankfurt in the middle of august and want to visit france, italy and the UK. I have my RTD and I have a UK visa, but i don't have time to get the Schengen visa before i travel.

Questions: I know some people have travelled to the Schengen States through Germany without getting a visa:

1- First of all, is it still possible to travel to Germany without visa on RTD?

2- To those who have done so, what is the best means of travel to avoid immigration checkpoints and passport checks? Is there any way I can fly out of Germany to France without facing immigration authorities? Should I leave the airport and the international terminal and get a domestic flight at the domestic terminal? If not, what means of land travel is the best?

3- In case I do face immigration authorities, what tactics are there to convince them to let me in? What documents should I have when I travel there?

Thank you so much everyone.

1- yes, my friend with his son went to Germany using RTD, no problem at all, I gave him a hard copy of this link to use it in case he got into problems with German borders, he said he didn't need it there:
http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/04__Legal/03__FAQ/Visa/__FAQ__Visa.html

read this question in the link:
I cannot get a national passport from my country of origin but I do hold a"Travel Document for Refugees". Can I use this document to travel to Germany?

2- He travelled from Germany to: Slovakia, Czech, France, Austria... using a rented car... no borders at all... no one to question him at all.

but if you are using airplanes to travel, well... before I came to USA "for asylum", I had the chance to travel between Schengen countries and they were 100% domestic flights, no one questioned me at all... no one asked to see my visa "I had one"

still not guaranteed... I know a man carrying Schengen Visa in his passport and he was travelling from Austria to Norway "using a train"... German officer asked to see his visa :) so there is still a chance of... but if I were in your shoes I will fly without a Schengen Visa :D:D:D

3- you can only say that you came through Germany and that it is open borders now... so "LET ME IN"... or you can show them the RTD and tell them it is US and you can stay for 90 days LOL, worst case scenario "go back to Germany" :p:p go back and try again if it is worth it. If you need a visa, I think you can get it via mail + 2 weeks + fees from www.visahq.com apply for the French Schengen Visa... if not, just fly without one :)

I have a question to whoever went to Germany with RTD but without GC... my friend that I talked about had RTD and GC, but he told me in the airport when he wanted to go back to USA, the security "before boarding" that are hired by US authorities told him "RTD?? What is this? are you serious? you want to return using RTD???" he was :eek::eek::eek: so he showed them the GC so they said "OK, now you are talking, OK to board"

I want to travel to Germany using RTD, I don't have GC, is RTD enough? should I apply for rentry permit in addition to the RTD ???? I'm asking because of what happened to my friend "thank God he has GC"

No, a Re-Entry Permit looks just like an RTD, so you'll get the same quizzical looks, but you have to explain to them that you CAN enter the US on a US RTD! Take a print-out if you need to. But, in my experience, immigration usually ignore your printouts and still insist on calling everyone they know to double check if you're allowed.

This from the web site of the Netherlands consulate in NY

Note: As of March 1, 2009- US Refugee Travel Document holders are exempt from visa requirements for the Netherlands.

I am seriously annoyed with the Dutch for this. I've been through a lot of pain having to apply for visas, and only when I don't require going to the Netherlands do they suddenly relax the requirements. It's the story of my life...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why they are not signing an agreement with the US to make this applicable to all Schengen, EU or EEU countries!

So, so far, the RTD holders are expemt from having to have a visa for short stays for the following countries:

Germany
Netherlands
Croatia
Macau (upon entry)
Montenegro (30 days)

correct me if i'm wrong guys and if u know about any other countries u can add to the list, leave a post!