Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

I was stopped by a police officer for driving with headlights turned off. The police officer told me verbally that it is a moving violation but he is not giving me a traffic ticket. He did not ask for my driving license, car registration or auto insurance.

Is this considered as citation or detention? What should be my answer to the question: "Were you ever cited, detained or arrested?" on the N-400 application. My interview is in the next couple of days and I am just wondering whether I should mention this incident to the IO or not.

Thanks in advance for your help !!!!

It's a verbal warning..no need to disclose it.

I was stopped by a police officer for driving with headlights turned off. The police officer told me verbally that it is a moving violation but he is not giving me a traffic ticket. He did not ask for my driving license, car registration or auto insurance.

Is this considered as citation or detention? What should be my answer to the question: "Were you ever cited, detained or arrested?" on the N-400 application. My interview is in the next couple of days and I am just wondering whether I should mention this incident to the IO or not.

Thanks in advance for your help !!!!

The answer is no. If you get a written citation (not a warning written citation), I would say Yes. So it is verbal warning and the answer is No.

1) Verbal warning (not citation): answer is No to the question on N400.
2) Written warning citation: answer is Yes to the question on N400, but not sure. The instruction is not very clear because the citation doesn't ask you to pay you fine or go to the court, but still defined technically as a citation.
3) Written citation (pay fine or contest it): Answer Yes to the question on N400. if the fine is more than 500 dollars, enclose the proof payment or court disposition. If less than 500 dollars, do not enclose it, but in the interview, If IO asks you for the proof, you may show it to him/her.

Last edited by a moderator:
let's assume for a minute that N400 filers need to report verbal warnings. Would you really?
No offense but, again, common sense is must when filing this form.

I mentioned my single ticket on N400 (Speeding, about $250 fine). The officer didn't ask for proof of payment. She asked if it had anything to do with DUI, etc, I said no, and then she moved on like it didn't matter. So, I think it's good to mention to show you aren't concealing anything.

Btw, I passed the interview and had oath same day so I'm now a citizen.

How far back do I go?

All,

Have a quick question about how far back to I go and look for citations? I've had 2 or 3, and the most recent one is from 2006. I remember there was one more prior to that, but I do not remember when exactly. WHo do i ask the info from, and how far back do I need to report?
BTW, just a background, I have been a PR since 12/15/04, so am getting ready to send mine in in few weeks.

Thanks all,

G.

I mentioned my single ticket on N400 (Speeding, about $250 fine). The officer didn't ask for proof of payment. She asked if it had anything to do with DUI, etc, I said no, and then she moved on like it didn't matter. So, I think it's good to mention to show you aren't concealing anything.

Btw, I passed the interview and had oath same day so I'm now a citizen.

Have taken the traffic ticket poll?

Hello:
Is there a way to get information about old speeding tickets?
Thanks,
-krsn1@yahoo.com

For those who want the records go to google and search for:

“Your State” Department of highway safety and motors vehicles. And go to Driver License section, they offer the information of the county clerk offices and from private vendors, where you can get the records.

Just be sure no going with an unauthorized vendor.

In Florida you can make it online, but I suggest doing it by mail, in that way you can get it certified. The cost is $10 for complete record. 7 yrs or more

I did not know either “cited” means traffic tickets granted, so I answered no to the question #16 Have you ever been arrested, cited…..?

I am planning to mention them when the officer ask me the question and have ready all records and disposicions.

I have gotten three (3) tickets since 1997. All of them less than $500.00. One (1) in 1998, one (1) in 2000 and one (1) in 2007. The first Two 2, were for a crash and in both of them, others hit on my back, but I got a ticket. The third one was for speeding.

Since I am not sure the exact dates, I requested today a complete copy of my Florida Driver license Record. In case they did not appear in this record, I will order directly the copies from the Florida County Court Clerk Offices .

Please notice, I just requested this records today, I will inform more when I get them.

Aug 07, 2009 Mailed to Lewisville Lockbox
Aug 12, 2009 Package received at Lockbox
Aug 14, 2009 Check Cashed
Aug 14, 2009 NOA – Receipt Number
____---, 2009 FP letter
____---, 2009 FP appt
____---, 2009 IL rec'd
____---, 20?? Interview date
____---, 20?? Oath Date

With this thread being so long and exhaustive, what is not clear is if we have to mention Yes to Questions 15/16 for getting traffic related tickets if they are below $500?

Folks with tickets please advice on how this question needs to be answered. Over the past 10 years I had a few tickets for speeding, lane change etc., they were all minor and resulted in fines and points.

Do I have to Say yes to 15/16 and attach a DMV record to my application?

All,

Have a quick question about how far back to I go and look for citations? I've had 2 or 3, and the most recent one is from 2006. I remember there was one more prior to that, but I do not remember when exactly. WHo do i ask the info from, and how far back do I need to report?
BTW, just a background, I have been a PR since 12/15/04, so am getting ready to send mine in in few weeks.

Thanks all,

G.

What have you decided? Are you going to disclose the tickets on the forms?

Traffic tickets : San francisco interview update

Hi,
I had my interview a few days ago at SF. I had an open ticket and had mentioned about all my tickets in N-400.

The IO was very polite and asked me why this case is pending. I explained that I wanted to contest it in court and hence I have taken a court date. I was asked if I have any DUIs pending. I answered "no". I gave her a copy of all the other tickets/court dispositions and the matter was closed. Rest of the interview was smooth.

I was told by IO that only DUI and felony charges are looked seriously by USCIS. Also having more than 2 speeding tickets need court dispositions. Other than that its pretty much the IOs discretion.

Thanks for all the feedback. This is a confusing topic.

Thanks,
some_guy03

Listing Traffice Voilation on N400

Folks,

I read this long thread and people do have contrasting view points. I called USCIS today and was actually able to talk to a representative :).

I told her that I got two the traffic tickets (speeding violation that were reduced to non-moving violations) and she read to me a canned response - "all violations except traffic violation that do not lead to arrest must be listed on N400". At the same time she mentioned you can list your tickets if you like.

Based on her response, I gather it is not required to list the traffic tickets that did not lead to an arrest.

I requested her to send me an email stating the same, so that I have a proof, of course that was asking for too much. She suggested I should go to local office if I need written proof.

Best

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks,

Based on her response, I gather it is not required to list the traffic tickets that did not lead to an arrest.

I requested her to send me an email stating the same, so that I have a proof, of course that was asking for too much. She suggested I should go to local office if I need written proof.

Best

Bravo!

You da man!

Also having more than 2 speeding tickets need court dispositions.

Here's yet another fine example of lack of standard by which to treat traffic tickets on the N-400. This particular IO went as far as to make up his/her own rule on speeding tickets. I wouldn't be surprised if another IO wil lask for court dispositions only for speeding tickets issued for driving in excess of 15 mph (or any arbitrary number) over the posted limit. :rolleyes:

One more traffic ticket question

Hello,
I am getting ready to send in my N-400 before this month end (sep'09). I had 2 tickets in the past. One of them was in apr'02 (for $100) and the other in mar'08 (for $76.50). I intend to disclose them both on my n-400. I obtained the court certified copies of the computer print out showing the arrest record for the ticket in '02 and the court disposition. For the ticket in '08, I obtained the court certified copy of the disposition. I am in the process of obtaining the court certified copy of the original arrest record for the '02 ticket.

I however, opened the envelopes which they came in and filed them in my NATZ documents folder. My question (which could be silly:eek:) is should I have not opened them ? (meaning...should they be in the sealed envelope form....just like the transcripts for universities are?)

thanks,
Speedy

Traffic Ticket question

Hello,
Apologize for the double post....but thought I might get some faster replies if posted here....

I am getting ready to send in my N-400 before this month end (sep'09). I had 2 tickets in the past. One of them was in apr'02 (for $100) and the other in mar'08 (for $76.50). I intend to disclose them both on my n-400. I obtained the court certified copies of the computer print out showing the arrest record for the ticket in '02 and the court disposition. For the ticket in '08, I obtained the court certified copy of the disposition. I am in the process of obtaining the court certified copy of the original arrest record for the '02 ticket.

I however, opened the envelopes which they came in and filed them in my NATZ documents folder. My question (which could be silly) is should I have not opened them ? (meaning...should they be in the sealed envelope form....just like the transcripts for universities are?)

thanks,
Speedy