Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

First of all - USCIS don't care if they are minor and no DUI involved. Whether you want to declare them on the N-400 form or not is up to you but you don't have to worry about them. I didn't declare my minor citations on the N-400 form, but I have mentioned to the IO about them. She didn't ask for any proof. So don't worry about them.

Hello,
Apologize for the double post....but thought I might get some faster replies if posted here....

I am getting ready to send in my N-400 before this month end (sep'09). I had 2 tickets in the past. One of them was in apr'02 (for $100) and the other in mar'08 (for $76.50). I intend to disclose them both on my n-400. I obtained the court certified copies of the computer print out showing the arrest record for the ticket in '02 and the court disposition. For the ticket in '08, I obtained the court certified copy of the disposition. I am in the process of obtaining the court certified copy of the original arrest record for the '02 ticket.

I however, opened the envelopes which they came in and filed them in my NATZ documents folder. My question (which could be silly) is should I have not opened them ? (meaning...should they be in the sealed envelope form....just like the transcripts for universities are?)

thanks,
Speedy

Hello,
Apologize for the double post....but thought I might get some faster replies if posted here....

I am getting ready to send in my N-400 before this month end (sep'09). I had 2 tickets in the past. One of them was in apr'02 (for $100) and the other in mar'08 (for $76.50). I intend to disclose them both on my n-400. I obtained the court certified copies of the computer print out showing the arrest record for the ticket in '02 and the court disposition. For the ticket in '08, I obtained the court certified copy of the disposition. I am in the process of obtaining the court certified copy of the original arrest record for the '02 ticket.

I however, opened the envelopes which they came in and filed them in my NATZ documents folder. My question (which could be silly) is should I have not opened them ?
----------------------nothing wrong one can open.
(meaning...should they be in the sealed envelope form....just like the transcripts for universities are?)

thanks,
Speedy
Just tick the question 16 (under Good Moral character) as YES
After question 21 write: Traffic citation , Date.....,Place, Fine paid....
no need to send the Court certified disposition with N400. only if fine was more than $500 one need to send Court certified disposition.
take Court Certified disposition or fine paid reciept at the time of Interview and show only if asked.

Hello,

I however, opened the envelopes which they came in and filed them in my NATZ documents folder. My question (which could be silly) is should I have not opened them ? (meaning...should they be in the sealed envelope form....just like the transcripts for universities are?)

thanks,
Speedy

Yes it is better to disclose them and bring a court paper opened or not.
I dont think there is a problem at all as this is minor citation.

Just tick the question 16 (under Good Moral character) as YES
After question 21 write: Traffic citation , Date.....,Place, Fine paid....
no need to send the Court certified disposition with N400. only if fine was more than $500 one need to send Court certified disposition.
take Court Certified disposition or fine paid reciept at the time of Interview and show only if asked.

Ok....thanks to all of you for the responses.

--Speedy

Hello,

thanks,
Speedy

No issues at all. Good luck! :)

Verbiage for Traffic Tickets

Sir,

Can you guide me as to the wording (what you entered) in the boxes for the traffic tickets?

Thanks,
clt_guy.

........I however, opened the envelopes which they came in and filed them in my NATZ documents folder. My question (which could be silly:eek:) is should I have not opened them ? (meaning...should they be in the sealed envelope form....just like the transcripts for universities are?)

It doesn't matter....

Speeding ticke before Oath

I got a speeding ticket 3 days before oath. I have few questions regarding it. I appreciate if you can provide me some info. I was driving on a downhill at 82mph in 65 zone in MD

1. Will it affect my oath date?

2. I want to go to court so that I wont get any extra points on my driving record. Its my first violation since I am in USA.

3. Should I pay the fine and take the points on my record for oath purposes?

I appreciate quick responses as I have oath scheduled in 2 days. Thank you:(:(

I got a speeding ticket 3 days before oath. I have few questions regarding it. I appreciate if you can provide me some info. I was driving on a downhill at 82mph in 65 zone in MD

2. I want to go to court so that I wont get any extra points on my driving record. Its my first violation since I am in USA.

Yes, it might delay your oath. They might not let you proceed to take an oath until your issue is resolved (either pay fine or resolve the issue at the court). You have to answer Yes on the form of Oath.

I suggest you to finish the issue by paying the fine. Your total points on your driving record will be rested to zero in two years (according to MVA). If you want to fight at the court, it will cost you fees for the court and will probably force you to take driving classes. If you want to pay the fine, make a copy of your citation ticket and proof of payment and bring them with you to the oath ceremony.

Hmmm...might I ask? Why were you speeding? You weren't late for the oath ceremony? What was the fine? :eek: Were you charged with reckless driving or just speeding? Local police or state trooper? Also, which county? :confused:

I got it this weekend. I dont have time to go to court anyway as I am working 8am to 8pm. So I probably wait until resolution. If you request guilty with explanation, you wont get charged any court fee. It just you go and explain it to judge that its a honest mistacke and request for removal of points.

I just bought a new car and I dont want to add points to my driving record. Its gonna increase my insurance significantly I guess.

Thank for quick responses though

I got it this weekend. I dont have time to go to court anyway as I am working 8am to 8pm. So I probably wait until resolution. If you request guilty with explanation, you wont get charged any court fee. It just you go and explain it to judge that its a honest mistacke and request for removal of points.

I just bought a new car and I dont want to add points to my driving record. Its gonna increase my insurance significantly I guess.

Actually it may be not a honest mistake since cop clocked your speeding with his/her speeding radar as a part of evidence. With this evidence, a judge may not erase your points and might increase fine amount. Talk to your insurance agent about rates -- they may forgive you.

Which county was your ticket issued? Did they use a radar gun or something else? what were the charges?

Hmmm...might I ask? Why were you speeding? You weren't late for the oath ceremony? What was the fine? :eek: Were you charged with reckless driving or just speeding? Local police or state trooper? Also, which county? :confused:

I was driving on downhill. I though its a 70 mils zone as I was crossing states lines. Fine is 140. They charged me with negligent driving but not reckelss driving. I think its state trooper. He told me that I would get 2 points for this. Its in Garret County

Which county was your ticket issued? Did they use a radar gun or something else? what were the charges?

I filed for Guilty with explanation. I did not say that I was not guilty. You can file with guilty with explanation in maryland. If you have a reasonable explanation, they may take out your points and add some extra fine. I would not mind paying more fine instead of points on record