Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

I read the OP's question to mean actual copies of past citations, not DMV driving records.

If California's procedures regarding traffic violations is anything like NYS, it would be impossible to obtain records of any violation that's over 3 years old. For instance, NYS has established traffic violations courts that deal exclusively with traffic violations and operate under the authority of the NYS DMV. They don't keep any records of their own. Once a ticket has been purged from a person's driver record, it's as if it never existed.

Speaking of which, I just received my first speeding ticket as a US citizen over the weekend..51 in a 35. At least I don't have to worry about having to divulge it to USCIS.

Speaking of which, I just received my first speeding ticket as a US citizen over the weekend..51 in a 35. At least I don't have to worry about having to divulge it to USCIS.

Last time I had a speeding ticket was around 9 years ago. This is not to say that I don't speed, though!

I am confused about you all's statement. I remember reading in the N400 application that regular speeding tickets need not be mentioned unless the fines are more than 500$. Am i wrong. I did not mention the speeding tickets since it was in the instruction booklet. What is going on I am not sure..

I am confused about you all's statement. I remember reading in the N400 application that regular speeding tickets need not be mentioned unless the fines are more than 500$. Am i wrong. I did not mention the speeding tickets since it was in the instruction booklet. What is going on I am not sure..

You do not have to provide proof of payment if the tickets are under $500 but there is no guidance on whether or not you need to disclose them and the guidance on this forum about that is split.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to obtain my 5 and 3 year old traffic related citations by calling the related county office (Virginia and Maryland). You may need the date of the citation.

vik_b
I am not a lawyer. Please treat my comments appropriately.
PD 7/29/08
FP 8/23/08
IL 10/15/08
I and Oath 11/20/08

If California's procedures regarding traffic violations is anything like NYS, it would be impossible to obtain records of any violation that's over 3 years old. For instance, NYS has established traffic violations courts that deal exclusively with traffic violations and operate under the authority of the NYS DMV. They don't keep any records of their own. Once a ticket has been purged from a person's driver record, it's as if it never existed.

And as far as I know, if you are in Florida, and you elect to pay a reduced fine and go to traffic school (I believe you only have this option 3-4 times in your life), your ticket does not even show up on your record.

Interesting reading regarding traffic citations

Read the last article in the newsletter. Seems like there is a twofold conclusion:

1. Notate ALL traffic citations on the N-400 form.
2. It seems that it could jeopardize your N-400 only if you clearly demonstrate that you have a disregard for the law (too many infranctions).

The type of denials in article sound more like they were caused by interpretation of moral character by overzealous IOs rather than an enforced USCIS practice.

I wouldn't worry about obtaining past copies of minor citations considering the probability of being asked for them at interview.
But if you insist, try contacting court who issued them.

Warnings

How about warnings given by the traffic police, for things such as following a car too closely? is that a citation? does it need to be mentioned?

The type of denials in article sound more like they were caused by interpretation of moral character by overzealous IOs rather than an enforced USCIS practice.

Exactly, but it is these type of "zealots" that keep it interesting for all of us and keep us worried for no reason.

OK this is a wierd situation with my friend. He was ticketed in Up state NY, as it was an out of state ticket, he pleaded not guilty and got an Attorney who plea bargained the ticket down to 4 points.

My friend paid the fine...... and was done. Just recently he was filing his N400 application from NJ and when he requested a DMV record. He noticed that even though it has been well over 2 years the NY state ticket did not show up in his records.

So should he declare it....... he is in question if that was ever reported.
You can read the link Person got Ticket in NJ and was having MD Driving licence and ticket never showed in the NJ Municipal court records or NJ DMV records and NJ Municipal court did not take payment as ticket was not in system.
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=262946&highlight=saathia

Exactly, but it is these type of "zealots" that keep it interesting for all of us and keep us worried for no reason.

This reminds me of nyc_newbie's case. Too bad he disappeared from the forum, I'd be very interested to know how his appeal went.

There've been past legal precedents set by Federal courts, establishing that traffic violations do not constitute lack of good moral character. While a denial based on traffic tickets would most likely be overturned on appeal, who wants the hassle?

Also, keep in mind that many IOs don't want applicants to disclose minor traffic violations. As I've mentioned in several previous posts, this is exactly what happened at my oath ceremony. The IO specifically instructed everyone not to list traffic tickets on the back of the oath letters, despite the fact that it asks to disclose them.

This reminds me of nyc_newbie's case. Too bad he disappeared from the forum, I'd be very interested to know how his appeal went.

There've been past legal precedents set by Federal courts, establishing that traffic violations do not constitute lack of good moral character. While a denial based on traffic tickets would most likely be overturned on appeal, who wants the hassle?

Also, keep in mind that many IOs don't want applicants to disclose minor traffic violations. As I've mentioned in several previous posts, this is exactly what happened at my oath ceremony. The IO specifically instructed everyone not to list traffic tickets on the back of the oath letters, despite the fact that it asks to disclose them.

I am curious: did the officer at your oath ceremony specifically used the word "minor"? It would be interesting to understand USCIS's perspective as to what they consider "minor"...