Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

You don't need to take any proof to the interview. Take a look at Page 8 in the following link :

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

Even if you have committed a minor crime, USCIS may deny your application if you do not tell the USCIS officer about the incident. Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine less than $500 and/or points on your driver’s license.

If you were taken to the station, it's most likely going to show up in criminal records and won't be purged like regular traffic records, so you need to make sure you disclose the incident.

Could you please elaborate on "Purged like traffic records"? How big of a deal are those?

Could you please elaborate on "Purged like traffic records"? How big of a deal are those?

Some motor vehicle authorities only keep certain traffic violations on your record for 3-5 years, deleting it thereafter. For instance, the New York State DMV purges its driver records every January 1st, deleting anything that has been on any given record for at least 3 years. The only exceptions to that rule are alcohol- and drug-related offenses, which remain on record for 10 years. Once a ticket/violation has been purged, it's no longer possible to obtain any record of it, as it has been destroyed.

Actually from a legal standpoint (I am a criminal attorney), for it to be an arreast you do not even have to be taken to the station

When you guys say disclose it on N400. Is it enough if I just provide such answer to these questions :
Why were you arrested, cited,detained or charged?
Arrested for reckless driving.(<-- is this ok even though I was charged with DUI, which was later reduced to reckless operation?)
Outcome or disposition of the arrest, citation, detention or charge
Citation and pleaded guilty to reckless operation.

btw the actual guide says to send a copy of the arrest record and disposition. Is it a common practice not to send it and bring it to the interview? Or someone earlier in this topic meant to send a copy and bring additional one to the interview?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, help! Traffic ticket probation and an interview

OMG, I didn't expect it to happen.:eek::eek:

OK, let me explain it.
I had a speeding ticket back in July. I applied a probation on it as usual. Unlike some other states, in Texas you can apply a probation on traffic ticket once every year if it is non serious violation. Then usually it comes at 3-6 month probation, and they charge an administration fee which is about $50 more than just paying fine the violation. So I paid $210 for applying probation.

About 2 months later, I applied a citizenship. At the time, expected processing time was something like a year. I thought my probation will be cleared long before my interview. However, the process speeds up dramatically, and I received an interview letter and my interview date is a month before my probation end date.

SO, I thought, I could simply withdraw my probation request at the court, but this morning, I found out I couldn't. They said there are no way they can dismiss or discard probation order. They told me I can hire a lawyer or write a letter to a judge. However, what if judge don't buy my situation? Then I am out of time even requesting for rescheduling my interview.
My interview is on Dec. 4. I have 3 weeks now. What is the best option for me?

1. Write a letter to judge and spend about a week or two and if it is not solved by then ask reschedule my interview. (Not sure if a week is sufficient time for reschedule request before scheduled date)
2. Just reschedule my interview before it is too late.

I need your opinion ASAP.:confused:

Thank you!
Fuzzy

If it's a minor speeding ticket I wouldn't worry about it. Most IOs will only ask if it's been paid and move one with interview. Now if it was probation involving a more serious offense, then I'd be more concerned.

I agree with Bobsmyth. If you decide to disclose this ticket, just tell the IO that you paid it and show proof of payment, if necessary. This is not a criminal probation, so don't worry about it.

Thank you for your reply.
It was 12 miles over speed limit. So I just bring the ticket indicating it was a minor moving violation, and the probation document that shows I paid fee of $210 and it will be cleared in one month?

How do I get records of my previous traffic citations?

I have 2..I think :) what's the easiest way to get a copy of the records?

I live in california

Where can I get my traffic citation records?

I live in California. I think I have had 2 minor traffic tickets. Do I have to get some documentation for that from the court? And how do I go about doing that?

Depending on the age of the ticket, it may not be possible to obtain a record. Certain states purge their driver records after 3-5 years. If you received your tickets over 3 years ago, check with your local DMV if the record is still obtainable.