Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Why don't they just update N-445 and end the ambiguity? :)

It would make things too easy for naturalization applicants. While most IOs don't care about minor traffic tickets, some choose to blow things out of proportion. Remember the case of nyc_newbie, whose application was denied on the basis of bad moral character for 2 speeding tickets?

Welcome to the World of New citizens - some clever Pretenders ain't they? Why? This is why.
Because the question Specifically asks if you were cited. A ticket is a citation. If you got a ticket it is yes.
Now a fellow says s/he got 11 tickets in 14 years.
Very conviniently s/he says he honestly forgot to mention it. That would be a lie. Why? Because he did magically remember the ONE DUI but Conviniently Manage to forget 11 Tickets! Thus a lie.
raj157 is straight away Lying to immigration officer when asked if s/he got any citations. He got 3-4 speeding tickets in 11 years but when asked by an immigration officer said NO - didn't get any citation!!!!!! WOW!
Others PRETEND that n-400 language is ambiguous. Another Lie. It clearly says to answer YES if you got any citation.
Therefore what we have are a bunch of new Citizens pretending as if the language of the form is not clear.
Why are they saying NO to a question which specifically asks to answer YES if you got ANY citations?
Why are you pretending that the question is not clear and not answering this honestly?

Nice reponse calling me a liar. First of all the DUI was mentioned on my greencard application on the advise of my lawyer at the time who told me not to worry about speeding tickets since they did not constitute a criminal offense.
With regards to the N400 application, I disclosed the DUI conviction but did not add speeding tickets because they are NOT criminal. At the time of my application I used the N400 form that specificaly instructs the applicant to OMMIT minor traffic violations!

So going by your predicate, applicants with fitness club, AMEX or Costco memberships are liars because they didn't disclose that information on the N400 form? Doing so would be ludicrous yet the N400 form is very specific on this issue and does not differentiate between the different types of memberships!

As explained may times before, the majority of IOs do NOT constitute non criminal speeding tickets material to deny an application!! They don't want it mentioned on the form and said so many times over.

From what I was told by the INS is that a citation of traffic offenses above $500 or DUI needs to be reported. It is not officially stated on the N-400, it is assumed. They will not change the wording, however.

Nothing about not mentioning simple traffic tickets is lying. Many of us consulted with the INS about this question and were told "NO". So the blame of people lying cannot be used here. No one lied, they followed directions from the agency that created the form on how to fill it out. Plain and simple, get over all the lying crap...

So going by your predicate, applicants with fitness club, AMEX or Costco memberships are liars because they didn't disclose that information on the N400 form? Doing so would be ludicrous yet the N400 form is very specific on this issue and does not differentiate between the different types of memberships!

I see nothing wrong to disclose your Costco or AAA membership when you are asked specifically in the N-400 to disclose ANY memberships. I think USCIS would rather err on the safer side for the applicants to give all information, even irrelevant. That's why they purposefully keep some questiones in the form vague. USCIS does not want the applicant to decide which membership or citation he thinks would be significant and then put in the form. USCIS wants all pieces of information, whether you think it's relevant or not. Once USCIS gets all the information, USCIS wants to decide herself which information is relevant.

But of course, people who failed to disclose their Costco memberships or something similar are NOT liars.:p

Nice reponse calling me a liar. First of all the DUI was mentioned on my greencard application on the advise of my lawyer at the time who told me not to worry about speeding tickets since they did not constitute a criminal offense.
With regards to the N400 application, I disclosed the DUI conviction but did not add speeding tickets because they are NOT criminal. At the time of my application I used the N400 form that specificaly instructs the applicant to OMMIT minor traffic violations!

As explained may times before, the majority of IOs do NOT constitute non criminal speeding tickets material to deny an application!! They don't want it mentioned on the form and said so many times over.

Don't waste your breath on such offensive posts. Enjoy the following and have a good weekend.:D

mauriciopelli's interview

IO: Whats's your name?
mauriciopelli: It's on my N-400.
IO: Never mind, state your name.
mauriciopelli: Maurice Iop Ellis
IO: Like Perry Ellis?
mauriciopelli: He, he..
IO: What's your place of birth?
mauriciopelli: Can you guess?
IO: Rather not, I don't hold a grudge againt any country on earth. Er, what makes you eligible for naturalization?
mauriciopelli: I came here on an air-plane, no border-crossing. No DV lottery. I am very proud that I slogged it out. I was ranked # 1 in the GC list.Numero Uno!!
IO: Have you ever voted?
mauriciopelli: Yes, cook is idol!
IO: Huh?
mauriciopelli: I voted David Cook for American Idol.
IO: Er, have you ever voted in elections?
mauriciopelli: Yes, back home. But it was rigged and my candidate lost.
IO: Well, have you ever been deported?
mauriciopelli: What the heck? Do I look illegal? My home country did not deport me either. I just fled.
IO: How many striped are there in our flag?
mauriciopelli: That's easy. Ask tough questions. I always do when I get a chance. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. I like the tough stuff.
IO: What is the capital of the state you live in?
mauriciopelli:The answer to this question depends on the state where you reside. To learn the capital of your state, go to htts://www.firstgov.gov and ...

Should I declare?

There all,

I was citied for ONLY ONE traffic issue for driving with unlawful speed ( 75 mph instead 45 mph, fine for $ 312.50) , I plead not guilty, my lawyer was in court, CHARGES WERE DISMISSED.

I cannot decide should I answer YES or NO at this question :Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer ?

1. If I declare do I jeopardize my case?
2. If I don't declare in application but I will be asked at the interview is it safe to declare then having with me the court dismissing proof?

Can you help me with your thought, please?

Many thanks in advance,
Rare Gold

There all,

I was citied for ONLY ONE traffic issue for driving with unlawful speed ( 75 mph instead 45 mph, fine for $ 312.50) , I plead not guilty, my lawyer was in court, CHARGES WERE DISMISSED.

I cannot decide should I answer YES or NO at this question :Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer ?

1. If I declare do I jeopardize my case?
2. If I don't declare in application but I will be asked at the interview is it safe to declare then having with me the court dismissing proof?

Can you help me with your thought, please?

Many thanks in advance,
Rare Gold

Minor traffic tickets don't jeopardize your case if you declare them. If you choose not to declare them on the basis of minor traffic tickets not influencing your case, make sure to mention them at interview if IO specifically asks about citations.

Minor traffic tickets don't jeopardize your case if you declare them. If you choose not to declare them on the basis of minor traffic tickets not influencing your case, make sure to mention them at interview if IO specifically asks about citations.

Thank you,

If I go with YES, should I send the court dismissal proof with the application?

RareGold

N400 interview: Driving Record Error

My N400 interview is coming up in 2 weeks. I just received my driving record in preparation for interview. It squeaky clean. However, I have two issues, and I am wondering if ya all experts can advise me on it.

1. During my last 8 years of living in US, I moved out of Texas for one year. I spent 8 months in state A and then 4 months in state B. I got new licenses in both states by surrendering my previous license.

Texas record erroneously shows that when I moved back to Texas, I surrenderd my state A's license. As a matter of fact I surrendered State B's license.

Should I bother to get this error fixed?

2. The driving record does not show my traffic tickets from 2002(Not stopping at stop sign, speeding). Neither did I declare them in my N400 application coz of lack of understanding that I should. I talked to Driving record people and they said that they do not keep records older than 3 years.

Now during the interview, what should I do if I was asked about citation/criminal record. If I tell them about tickets, I do not have any way to prove that I paid.

Is there any thing I can do right now.. like requesting some court record which may have record of my payments?

My N400 interview is coming up in 2 weeks. I just received my driving record in preparation for interview. It squeaky clean. However, I have two issues, and I am wondering if ya all experts can advise me on it.

1. During my last 8 years of living in US, I moved out of Texas for one year. I spent 8 months in state A and then 4 months in state B. I got new licenses in both states by surrendering my previous license.

Texas record erroneously shows that when I moved back to Texas, I surrenderd my state A's license. As a matter of fact I surrendered State B's license.

Should I bother to get this error fixed?

2. The driving record does not show my traffic tickets from 2002(Not stopping at stop sign, speeding). Neither did I declare them in my N400 application coz of lack of understanding that I should. I talked to Driving record people and they said that they do not keep records older than 3 years.

Now during the interview, what should I do if I was asked about citation/criminal record. If I tell them about tickets, I do not have any way to prove that I paid.

Is there any thing I can do right now.. like requesting some court record which may have record of my payments?

1. It's an administrative error that will not have any effect on your citizenship eligibility. Don't worry about it.

2. Disobeying a stop sign and speeding are minor offenses which, I assume, were under $500 each. I wouldn't bother disclosing them at all, especially since you can't find proof of payment, let alone proof of their existence.

1. It's an administrative error that will not have any effect on your citizenship eligibility. Don't worry about it.

2. Disobeying a stop sign and speeding are minor offenses which, I assume, were under $500 each. I wouldn't bother disclosing them at all, especially since you can't find proof of payment, let alone proof of their existence.

But if she asks me for citation/arrest history.. I am not sure what to say.

Speeding ticket is a citation.. or my understanding is wrong?

But if she asks me for citation/arrest history.. I am not sure what to say.

Speeding ticket is a citation.. or my understanding is wrong?

Truthfully, it appears that the USCIS is more concerned with criminal citations that resulted in an arrest, rather than minor traffic tickets (look up my interview and oath experiences and you'll see what I mean). Since you've never been arrested, you wouldn't be able to provide an arrest history even if you were asked for it.

As far as traffic tickets are concerned, I've seen maybe 1 report where an applicant was specifically asked if s/he had any traffic tickets. If you're specifically asked whether or not you've ever had any traffic tickets, explain that you have no proof of payment and let the IO know that they were non-DUI/DWI and less than $500.

I'm sure you've read all the debates about how to treat traffic tickets on the N-400. My opinion is that if they are non-DUI/DWI and less than $500, don't mention them. If there was no arrest involved, the USCIS doesn't care about minor traffic violations. They'll tell you the same thing if you call customer service.

reckless driving

Hi,
I've seen a lot of information regarding DUI and naturalization, but I couldn't find an answer to my situation so I decided to post a question.
I was charged with DUI, but my charges were amended to reckless driving to which i pleaded guilty. I didn't spend a night in arrest, but I was detained for breathalyzer test, which didn't proof that I was under the influence. The fine I paid was under $500, I got few points on my driving record and license suspended for for a year with driving privileges. How should I report that on the N400 form and how detailed should the explanation be ? Is there a big risk of being declined for this incident? (it happened in 2005)
Thanks.

I didn't spend a night in arrest,
You don't have to spend the night for it to be an arrest. If they said you are under arrest and take you to the station, that's an arrest.
but I was detained for breathalyzer test, which didn't proof that I was under the influence.
Detained where? At the police station, or on the side of the road? If you were taken to the station, it's most likely going to show up in criminal records and won't be purged like regular traffic records, so you need to make sure you disclose the incident.

Disclose the ticket on the N-400 and bring the court disposition document to the interview. If this is your only arrest , you should be ok.

Agree, not a big deal.

You need to disclose the arrest and bring court disposition letter. You should be fine .

need to show proof of paid/traffic schooled traffic citation

your help is greatly appreciated,
Hi:
I am going to have my interview in a month. I never comitted any crime. However, I had two traffic tickets in California. One for turn and one minor speeding.
1. Do I have to bring proof to the interview that I have paid one tikcet and went to traffic school?
Or, I should just simply infor the interiew officer about it without paper work.
2. If I need to bring proof of payment of ticket and traffic school. Where can I get it? Since I got my last tikcet 5 year ago. I could not find any receipts or comfirmation.