Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

I just called the NCSC and asked if traffic violations should be listed in the "Have you ever been cited..." section of the N-400. The representative read the following information from his computer (I'm paraphrasing): "Everything WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MINOR TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS THAT DID NOT RESULT IN AN ARREST must be disclosed on the N-400. This includes misdemeanors, felonies, arrests (even if it didn't result in conviction), and crimes for which you were not arrested". I asked the CSR to clarify what constituted a minor traffic violation, and he replied that his system doesn't have a definition of what exactly a minor traffic violation is. I then quoted the section of the guide with the $500/DUI/DWI rule. The CSR stated that only traffic violations that fall into that category have to be disclosed.

Because I am scared that they will look at me for what my husband has done. Can I be deported for Marrying the wrong person? He is a USC by birth and he did some really awful things and to be honest I am scared that they will judge me for what he has done...

He is no terrorist or Murderer! But a bad person none the less!:(

As long as you don't smoke what your husband grows you should be fine ;)

Interview next month,forgot to mention old traffic ticket !!!

My Interview is scheduled next month. I received 2 traffic citations in 2006, I did mention them in N-400.

I moved from Florida to Boston area in 1999. A week before I moved, I got a speeding citation for $200 in FL. I paid the amount in full, however, I forgot to mention this in N-400. I've my current driving record in MA says license is active and court records from other two citations. I have no documents about the ticket in FL.

Do I need to mention this at the interview? Will this be a problem?

Thanks
fizk

In this case, they have the police follow you, invent a reason to pull you over, and then plant the evidence. I've personally been pulled over and had my car searched for no reason at all, so it can definitely be done. In fact, in NYC, it's done on a regular basis.
I never said it was impossible; it's just not so easy to do it long after the initial arrest and get away with it. They're less determined to create guilt than they are with finding guilt. They can marshal all sorts of resources to find something against you without a guilty conscience or fear of being found out, but spending time to stalk you for the purpose of planting evidence is not something they can officially request extra help for or advertise that they're doing.

And even if they do plant something on you and get the conviction, if you're already a citizen they can't revoke your citizenship for that. But if they dig up something pre-citizenship that was not disclosed on the application, that gives them ammunition to revoke your citizenship and get you deported.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just called the NCSC and asked if traffic violations should be listed in the "Have you ever been cited..." section of the N-400. The representative read the following information from his computer (I'm paraphrasing): "Everything WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MINOR TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS THAT DID NOT RESULT IN AN ARREST must be disclosed on the N-400. This includes misdemeanors, felonies, arrests (even if it didn't result in conviction), and crimes for which you were not arrested". I asked the CSR to clarify what constituted a minor traffic violation, and he replied that his system doesn't have a definition of what exactly a minor traffic violation is. I then quoted the section of the guide with the $500/DUI/DWI rule. The CSR stated that only traffic violations that fall into that category have to be disclosed.

This is exactly what I have read and what I was told when I was filling out my N-400. So I did not disclose any traffic tickets I had. I was just asked about court appearences in my interview and I told him I was there twice for minor traffic instances (not 100% stopping at a stop sign) and a speeding ticket. That was it, the IO moved on to something else.

This whole traffic ticket concern has gotten people too worried on this board. The question comes up almost every other day and yes it's not properly documented about the exact rules in the N-400.

But if people are really worried about their N-400 and feel there are other things that might set off red flags, then by all means disclose your regular speeding fines if you wish...

My Interview is scheduled next month. I received 2 traffic citations in 2006, I did mention them in N-400.

I moved from Florida to Boston area in 1999. A week before I moved, I got a speeding citation for $200 in FL. I paid the amount in full, however, I forgot to mention this in N-400. I've my current driving record in MA says license is active and court records from other two citations. I have no documents about the ticket in FL.

Do I need to mention this at the interview? Will this be a problem?

Thanks
fizk

A nine year old speeding ticket that you didn't mention will not cause you any grief. You can mention it to IO if he asks, but don't worry yourself about it. Now if you were arrested and fingerprinted , that's another issue.

just mention them at the interview. No documentation is needed for traffic offenses that are under 500$ with no alcohol or drug DUI. But just to be on the safe side bring a copy of your driving record and all proof you have that you paid the fines. The n-400 is very confusing with traffic citation on whether to list them or not, you are not the first or last with this.

I wish I could get a driving record in my old state. When I moved to Boston, I had to submit my old license to get MA license. I dont have a copy of my FL license. I was on H1 at that time, wasn't even sure if I get my green card. Back in 1999, I didn't know that traffic citations are critical for citizenship applications :(.

I wish I could get a driving record in my old state. When I moved to Boston, I had to submit my old license to get MA license. I dont have a copy of my FL license. I was on H1 at that time, wasn't even sure if I get my green card. Back in 1999, I didn't know that traffic citations are critical for citizenship applications :(.

They aren't "critical" to citizenship applications. There have one or two reports on this board of IOs being anal at the interview about traffic citations under $500 that did not involve an arrest . Others in this form have used this to build fear and have blown this out of proportion. If you want to spend the extra money to show something you don't have to according to the USCIS instruction , then that's up to you. An IO really doesn't care about a 1999 citation unless there is something else in your moral character that is questionable.

This is exactly what I have read and what I was told when I was filling out my N-400. So I did not disclose any traffic tickets I had. I was just asked about court appearences in my interview and I told him I was there twice for minor traffic instances (not 100% stopping at a stop sign) and a speeding ticket. That was it, the IO moved on to something else.

This whole traffic ticket concern has gotten people too worried on this board. The question comes up almost every other day and yes it's not properly documented about the exact rules in the N-400.

But if people are really worried about their N-400 and feel there are other things that might set off red flags, then by all means disclose your regular speeding fines if you wish...

I've decided that I'll stick to my original N-400 and not disclose any traffic violations. Every ticket I've ever gotten was for minor violations, so I'm going to follow the instructions and not disclose them.

just an FYI, at least in Texas, the ticket is considered a conviction if you pay the fine and leave it alone. If you ask for defensive driving instead (if you qualify) and pay all the fees, of course, the amount you end up paying is the same, and the ticket is cleared from your record, and I think that it doesn't count as a conviction.
take this with a grain of salt, but do read more about the laws in your state

An IO is not interested in any cititation that was occured in the past, but I think they are interested in any citiation, any violation/arrest, etc within last 5 years. Don't worry if your 1999 citiation is not "over 500 dollars fine" citiaton because the form said no documentation is needed, but be safe to bring all your documents with you for your interview.

I do not think there is any need to mention very old traffic ticket. No need to lose your sleep over this..its not worth it.

I have had zero traffic tickets since I've been in the USA.

However, during my brief visits back to my home country, I did receive two speeding tickets. One was for doing 169km/hr in a 130km/hr freeway. The other was for driving on the left lane of the freeway when not passing. Both tickets were photo tickets which I received in the mail a week later. (meaning I was not pulled over or anything like that... the camear on the freeway took pictures of the car) I promptly paid both fines(USD$790 and USD$59, respectively).

I do have the ticket and payment receipt for both with me here. In my country of origin, all documents are printed in the native language as well as English, so it's pretty clear.

Is it necessary for me to bring them to my interview? I did NOT disclose it on my N400 form because they occured after I filed N400. The reason I'm asking is that I read somewhere that a traffic ticket over $500 needs to be disclosed... but I'm not sure if that applies to foreign-issued tickets?

Any advice appreciated! :)_

No. Please do not bother to provide this irrelevant information.

I do not think there is any need to mention very old traffic ticket. No need to lose your sleep over this..its not worth it.

It is very confusing. On the Oath letter Form N-445 it says explicitly "LIST ALL OFFENCES including TRAFFIC TICKETS" but curiously that is missing from the N400 application. Wonder why ? ...but it seems logicak that if they want to know at N-445 stage then they would want to know at N400 stage.

The next thing you know people will be asking about having to report speeding tickets in a foreign country while soliciting the services of a prostitute who was carrying a firearm and who didn't file her taxes for the last 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which instructions are these? No disrespect meant, but the N-400 instructions state that one is not supposed to provide documentation for violations under $500. However no where does it say do not disclose.

so I'm going to follow the instructions and not disclose them.