protecting your passport and certificate

I wonder about the reason for distinguishing between the passports of native-born and foreign-born US citizens. Does Texas DPS think that it is easier to make a fake passport with a foreign place of birth? I think that the federal government should make it clear to the states that the US passport must be accepted as the form of identification and a proof of the US citizenship regardless of the place of birth. Texas has gone too far.

Texas thinks of itself as "special". Perhaps Texas DMV assumes US Passports with foreign birth place have higher incidence of fraud or they are using still following an outdated rule that required a naturalized citizen to live in US for several years after naturalization or face loosing their citizenship.

Texas thinks of itself as "special". Perhaps Texas DMV assumes US Passports with foreign birth place have higher incidence of fraud or they are using still following an outdated rule that required a naturalized citizen to live in US for several years after naturalization or face loosing their citizenship.
It is not the actual law that is to blame, but rather DPS' interpretation of it, since they are the ones that decided that a US passport is not automatically proof of citizenship. Having said that though, our illustrious governor Rick Perry (should have a 'P' before his first name :rolleyes:) has publicly stated his support for the policy. However, I suspect that is because he doesn't actually have the mental capacity to understand trivial things such as law and the US constitution.

I wonder about the reason for distinguishing between the passports of native-born and foreign-born US citizens. Does Texas DPS think that it is easier to make a fake passport with a foreign place of birth? I think that the federal government should make it clear to the states that the US passport must be accepted as the form of identification and a proof of the US citizenship regardless of the place of birth. Texas has gone too far.
But the interesting thing is, U.S.Passport only asserts ones Nationality. No where does it assert that the holder is citizen (unless I missed). Nationality and Citizenship could be different. There are people of U.S Nationality but not Citizenship rights. Given this, I always wondered why U.S.Passport is assumed to be proof of Citizenship.

What's the difference?
But the interesting thing is, U.S.Passport only asserts ones Nationality. No where does it assert that the holder is citizen (unless I missed). Nationality and Citizenship could be different. There are people of U.S Nationality but not Citizenship rights. Given this, I always wondered why U.S.Passport is assumed to be proof of Citizenship.

Texas, in general, is very anti-immigrant. The DPS took it upon themselves to circumvent a Federal law. I'm sure it'll be overturned on trial.

What's the difference?
The difference is, all U.S.Citizens are U.S Nationals but not the other way around. Not all U.S Nationals are U.S.Citizens and cannot, for example, vote to elect President of U.S.

In this context, the distinction is a rather moot point since the only difference between a US citizen and a US national is their right to vote and hold public office. A US national still has the permanent right to live and work in the US.

US passports don't even distinguish between citizens and nationals. The photo page lists one's nationality but the introduction on the first page proper talks of citizen/national. In contrast, in the UK where there is a distinction in the right of abode between citizens and nationals (and also subjects), the passport clearly states what the holder's status is.

Texas, in general, is very anti-immigrant. The DPS took it upon themselves to circumvent a Federal law. I'm sure it'll be overturned on trial.
There are currently at least two law suits against these rules and an expedited hearing is pending.

You are right about Texas by the way. A perfect example is the city of Farmer's Branch (a Dallas suburb) which has decided it wants to enforce immigration law at the state level and is doing its best to bankrupt itself in legal fees trying to claim that this is their right.

In this context, the distinction is a rather moot point since the only difference between a US citizen and a US national is their right to vote and hold public office. A US national still has the permanent right to live and work in the US.

US passports don't even distinguish between citizens and nationals. The photo page lists one's nationality but the introduction on the first page proper talks of citizen/national. In contrast, in the UK where there is a distinction in the right of abode between citizens and nationals (and also subjects), the passport clearly states what the holder's status is.
I believe that is the problem/basis to argue that U.S.Passport is not proof of citizenship. Do you see anywhere in the passport say the holder is citizen of united states ? Further, passport only talkes about (plea from sec of state) allowing the holder to pass through and provide necessary protection - nothing about one being citizen.

Thankfully California is not in this situation.

In California:

Only the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents is acceptable:

* US Birth Certificate
* US Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad
* Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree
* INS American Indian Card
* Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory
* US Passport
* US Military Identification Cards (Active or reserve duty, dependent, retired member, discharged from service, medical/religious personnel)
* Common Access Card (only if designated as Active military or Active Reserve or Active Selected Reserve)
* Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
* Northern Mariana Card
* INS US Citizen ID Card
* Permanent Resident Card
* Temporary Resident Identification Card
* Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate
* Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
* Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)
* Certification from California Department of Corrections or California Youth Authority
* Employment Authorization Card
* Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit
* Refugee travel document
* "Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport
* Valid I-94 stamped "Refugee," "Parole or Parolee," "Asylee," or Section 207, Section 208, Section 209, Section 212d(2), HP or PIP
* Immigration judge’s order granting asylum
* Certified court order or judgment issued from a court of competent jurisdiction.
* Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence"
* Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition)
* Mexican Border Crossing Card with valid I-94

If I'm reading this correctly - any tourist here on a visa with a current I-94 could apply for a DL in California? That seems - inappropriate.

Why is it inappropriate? A tourist should not drive in California? What about a foreign student?
If I'm reading this correctly - any tourist here on a visa with a current I-94 could apply for a DL in California? That seems - inappropriate.

If I'm reading this correctly - any tourist here on a visa with a current I-94 could apply for a DL in California?
No they can't. Getting a California license would require being a California resident, and an I-94 indicating B1/B2 status would disqualify a person from being considered a state resident.

There is already a temporary injunction issued against DPS on this.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/news/release.php?id=2655

What makes US passport special?

Guys,

What is the purpose of this thread? I am wondering how people kept their current passports safe all these years :confused: US passort is the same as any other passport with a simple purpose, allow you entry and exit into any country of travel. So, there is need to buy a special plastic for the certificate or a special leather bounded cover for the passport..:rolleyes: I find that people assign value to things which shouldn't be overvalued. Whoever came up with the idea of freezing the naturalization certificate is clearly NUTS..:( Freezing a paper? I mean we just had a Congressman convicted for freezing stacks of money...:rolleyes: I am certain freezing will do damage to that paper, buy a fire proof safe is you need one, but buying it for the sole purpose of keeping this certificate is really nutty on its own. Where else are you currently keeping your documents? I am clearly aware that right now, most of you have no important documents, except your immigration papers and how to flee from all things immoral...:D:D

Immigrants and US citizens to be, is being in this country and safeguarding your passport that complicated? I mean, where else do you keep your college diplomas? I hope no one is going to suggest burrying your certificate in the backyard in a stainless steele suitcase. :eek: Nutty ideas will always be with people... this forum accomodate them on a daily basis.:cool: If you doubt my conclusion, see how they contributed to the country by sending their Governor to the White House and he was really a success there.....lol!!!! Flourishing economy, booming housing market, everyone has their own healthcare...

No need to worry about TX? We all know there is a large % of people there who hate immigrants, so this law is going to be struck down and repealed. I mean, it is like asking a married couple from Nevada to remarry again in TX because they don't recognise the marriage license from Nevada. This law is unconstitutional and will be struck down. Just give TX some time to get their heads around this upcoming ruling on this matter, but knowing how slow they are (idiots), it might be 10 years before they understand what is unconstitutional about this law.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand why Texas is asking that (we are all good immigrants but there they have a lot of bad ones and sometimes people's ignorance produces bad reactions).
But they need to understand that they cannot discriminate between US citizen at birth and naturalized citizens, they're all US citizens at the same level (I think it's the 14th amendment).
At that point, just take off US passport from the list and put US birth certificate OR certificate of naturalization, that's it.
If I want to make a fake passport, I could make one with any US city as place of birth, as someone said already.