protecting your passport and certificate

maybe we can update the DL system by using green card before we gave it back for naturalization, it's better than applying another citizenship certificate ($$$) only for legal status check when renewing DL.

maybe we can update the DL system by using green card before we gave it back for naturalization, it's better than applying another citizenship certificate ($$$) only for legal status check when renewing DL.

The legal status check is only for non-citizens and non-LPR. What do you mean by applying for another citizenship certificate?

it's better to update our status in our State DPS DL system, so when it's time to renew the DL, we don't need to show it again. Does this mean the certificate has pretty much finished its job and can be saved somewhere else?

This was brought out by a person who moved from CA To TX. DMV was asking Certificate which was lost. This guy did not get DL as of last time i know. He is a citizen since last 10 years

I am not getting that link for the news item.

The legal status check is only for non-citizens and non-LPR. What do you mean by applying for another citizenship certificate?

Rule 37 T.A.C. 15.171
Issuance of Driver Licenses and Identification Certificates to Non-citizens
October 1, 2008.

A Citizen of the United States or New U.S. Citizen:

The applicant must present one of the following:

* Certificate of Birth issued by appropriate U.S. State, Territory, or District of Columbia;
* Department of State Certification of birth issued to U.S. Citizens born abroad (form FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545);
* Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (form N-560, N-561, N-645);
* U.S. Dept. of Justice – INS U.S. Citizenship Identification Card (form I-197)
* U.S. Dept. of Justice – INS Identification Card for Resident Citizen of the U.S. (form I-179)
* U.S. Passport may be used ONLY if it indicates place of birth in the U.S. :(

A Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States:

If the applicant is a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., the applicant must present:

* Valid U.S. Dept. of State “Immigrant Visa”; or
* Valid U.S. Resident Alien Card (Form I-551)

To renew DL in Texas, it says need GC or certificate of citizenship no certificate of naturalization.

To renew DL in Texas, it says need GC or certificate of citizenship no certificate of naturalization.

Well, Bobsmyth's point (as I understand it) was that this page pertains only to non US citizens and people with no green card. The point of including the info for LPRs and USCs on that page eludes me though. Bureaucracy I guess.

Rule 37 T.A.C. 15.171
Issuance of Driver Licenses and Identification Certificates to Non-citizens
October 1, 2008.

A Citizen of the United States or New U.S. Citizen:

The applicant must present one of the following:

* Certificate of Birth issued by appropriate U.S. State, Territory, or District of Columbia;
* Department of State Certification of birth issued to U.S. Citizens born abroad (form FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545);
* Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (form N-560, N-561, N-645);
* U.S. Dept. of Justice – INS U.S. Citizenship Identification Card (form I-197)
* U.S. Dept. of Justice – INS Identification Card for Resident Citizen of the U.S. (form I-179)
* U.S. Passport may be used ONLY if it indicates place of birth in the U.S. :(

A Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States:

If the applicant is a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., the applicant must present:

* Valid U.S. Dept. of State “Immigrant Visa”; or
* Valid U.S. Resident Alien Card (Form I-551)

The DPS added that wording on their website. It does not appear in the official code. Moreover, Rule 37 T.A.C. 15.171 is for non citizens. As to why they decided to add that wording to their website tell me that DPS management is poorly either educated or thinks they are above the law.

so It means can I use my certification to update my status or not?

I have a name change too!

The DPS added that wording on their website. It does not appear in the official code. Moreover, Rule 37 T.A.C. 15.171 is for non citizens. As to why they decided to add that wording to their website tell me that DPS management is poorly either educated or thinks they are above the law.

I will try out the DMV closest to us, when I get my naturalization cert and passport to see which they need... really the only reason I'd like to update my status at DMV is that they don't let LPRs renew their licenses online, you have to be a citizen...

so It means can I use my certification to update my status or not?

I have a name change too!

Yes, you can use naturalization certificate to update your status with DMV. Bring your certificate and/or name change document to the DMV to update their records.

I will try out the DMV closest to us, when I get my naturalization cert and passport to see which they need... really the only reason I'd like to update my status at DMV is that they don't let LPRs renew their licenses online, you have to be a citizen...

thanks, keep us posted!

What size is the naturalization certificate? Is it 8 by 11 or bigger?

I'll use plastic sheet protector to hold it like I've been doing with other important papers.

What's CVS?

I would NOT be storing mine in a plastic bag in the freezer. Frost free freezers have a heater that lightly defrosts every 24 hours. Good place to really screw up your certificate. Get a safety deposit box at your local bank. Often they are free depending on the account that you have.

A fireproof box might be the next best thing but a safety deposit box usually runs to about 30-bucks a year. That's less than a penny a day and you can store other stuff there as well.

Read the USCIS website on getting a relacement certificate. Horror story so look after it well.

Are you kidding? CVS is everywhere in USA. Did you live in USA for 5 years? I am sure you have seen it. It is similar to RiteAid, Walgreens, or tiny supermarket mart with pharmacy.

Thanks. I won't.

The sheets I use have 3 sides closed and one side open for putting the document in or taking out. They are transparent and soft, just enough to protect the document from scratch or marks.

It's 8x10. Just make sure not to laminate it.

I wonder about the reason for distinguishing between the passports of native-born and foreign-born US citizens. Does Texas DPS think that it is easier to make a fake passport with a foreign place of birth? I think that the federal government should make it clear to the states that the US passport must be accepted as the form of identification and a proof of the US citizenship regardless of the place of birth. Texas has gone too far.

Are you kidding? CVS is everywhere in USA. Did you live in USA for 5 years? I am sure you have seen it. It is similar to RiteAid, Walgreens, or tiny supermarket mart with pharmacy.
I have lived on the West Coast for the past 9 years, and I have yet to find a CVS store.